Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
I can't think of any legitimate excuse for doing something like that. No way he can claim it was accidental...he clearly swung the whip at the horses face.
Right after he hits the horse's face, I think I recall him throwing down a couple more left handed shots to get the point across.

I'm going to slammed here for saying this, but I still don't think it's as bad as y'all do. I'd at least like to hear his explanation before passing judgment.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
I'm thinking about those jockeys at Tampa who got ruled off the grounds immediately - with an effective penalty far worse than a few days, and the "battery" incident where the guy lost his license for a few years, if I recall.

I agree that the jockeys' appeals until December render the "typical" careless riding suspensions meaningless.

The trainers that you referenced are the only ones that I can remember getting penalties that severe, and I doubt their misdeeds were unintentional.
I cant say too much about the Tampa situation other than where the is smoke...

I hope you arent saying that using an electrical device is the equal to a medication positive? Maybe for etorphine. As we have discussed far too often about positive tests, the system sucks, most positives have no effect on the horse, and the vast majority are for allowed meds. A "machine" is blatantly illegal.

I can remember lots of trainers getting 30 to 45 day suspensions including Pletcher.

The difference between a jockey getting days and a trainer getting days is that the trainer has employees and expenses that dont go away. A jock packs his stuff and goes on vacation. Not to mention the trouble caused for the connections who have to scramble to find a new rider, often after the best jocks are already locked up.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
I can't think of any legitimate excuse for doing something like that. No way he can claim it was accidental...he clearly swung the whip at the horses face.
Agreed.........especially since he is at the wire or past the wire. It is pure anger that he decided to take out on the horse.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Saratoga

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/45859.htm
Old 06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Flemington

Desormeaux was fined $500 for hitting a horse in the mouth with a whip repeatedly in a July race at Saratoga last year on Stolen Star.

But he did so while running on the lead with a horse who habitually drifts out through the lane - and he had a horse right to his outside who he would have herded out some had he not.

That incident probably looked just as bad from the pan shot views - but KD was not even close to the eye and did so in a short controlled motion. JR just looked like he was pissed - and right as he lost 2nd place just before the wire he got careless and caught the horses eye apperantly.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Oaklawn

Default frame by frame

Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Pimlico

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/45859.htm

Jeremy Rose Handed Six-Month Suspension
Email Print RSS Date Posted: June 24, 2008
Last Updated: June 24, 2008

Excerpt:

Jockey Jeremy Rose was suspended for six months following a steward’s hearing the morning of June 24 for whipping his mount Appeal to the City in the face during the third race at Delaware Park June 23.

In the chart footnotes for the five-furlong claiming contest on the turf, it states, “Appeal to the City stalked the pace inside, angled off the rail to challenge into the stretch, steadied outside the winner in the furlong grounds, then weakened before shying after being struck with the whip late.”

According to John Wayne, executive director of the Delaware Thoroughbred Racing Commission, the horse experienced some hemorrhaging in its eye due to contact with Rose’s whip.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I highly doubt someone would ride him, regardless of where he goes, he probably wouldn't get a license.

No one wants to be in this firestorm. WHOA!!

anythings possible, supposed race fixers got mounts at finger lakes... and i'm pretty sure billy patin came back to ride after the buzzer incident.

my point is, he can go to a small circuit and keep making ends meat if this is just a del. park suspension.
but if it's as blatant as everyone says it is, i think he should be in Kierran Fallan status, a man without a country

-bt-
Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Coach Pants

Louisiana will take him.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:03 PM

I don't see how on any level this situation compares to that of Kieran Fallon.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Oriental Park

One of the more brutal acts I have seen on the track....PETA is going to go apeshi t over this.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:10 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I don't see how on any level this situation compares to that of Kieran Fallon.

in regards to applying for a license in other state/circuit or country. Fallon was blackballed by everyone after the fixing scandal.
You're right, the events are completely different, not even close to eachother. My point is people should avoid and deny Rose a license during this suspension and honor del. park ruling.

I can only imagine the sh!t this guy is going to take next time he comes out for a post parade

-bt-
Old 06-24-2008, 04:22 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

they should make an example out of him..let this be the one thing the whole industry wont take lightly..though i have seen some exercise riders..that are close...
Old 06-24-2008, 04:22 PM

I agree that other jurisdictions should honor the suspension, absolutely.

I honestly don't think this particular incident is going to be a huge deal in the non-racing community because A., it appears the horse in question will recover and B., it was a cheap claimer at Delaware Park, not the Derby or a Breeders Cup race.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor
Agreed. He should never be able to mount another horse in his life. He should get his hot headed a$$ put in jail and fined out the wahzoo.
a bit excessive
Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:

I honestly don't think this particular incident is going to be a huge deal in the non-racing community because A., it appears the horse in question will recover and B., it was a cheap claimer at Delaware Park, not the Derby or a Breeders Cup race.
I think the AP will pick this story up.

It's going to get uuuuuugly.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Stuck in 1994

For anyone that missed it...

Head-on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NBFmTT50Y0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqd1bURSEO8
Old 06-24-2008, 04:28 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs11204
a bit excessive
really..he cant be that dumb to not know the eye is on the sport..fn burn em

id feel better if he was hitting the other jock
Old 06-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

I think you are taking this lightly. What he did is the definition of pouring gasoline on a fire..........
Old 06-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:

If it were any other jockey at DelPark, I'd agree with you. But Jeremy Rose really struck a chord with the public back in 2005. For some reason his name has stuck with the non-racing persons a lot better than most.

This is going to make the news. And just what we needed... more fuel for the fire.

Can racing not get a break this year???