Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr...orts/sp-favre4

i did a google and found a link to an LA times article and it appears it is a legit rumor although the truth of the rumor can be questioned.

Let me ask you this...if Brett Favre wanted out of GB, how else could he do it without crushing his image?
I don't know if that would have been possible, but going to Thompson and telling him that would have opened up some other options besides this fiasco.
Lots of behind the scenes stuff can happen.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
If he goes to the Vikings, it will make for an interesting Monday night opener when they are retiring his #.....against the Vikings..

If I'm a Bear Boy like you, I'm hoping Angelo has Bus Cook's number
I have no idea what to think about Favre playing for the Bears, nor do I think there is a chance in hell of that happened, if he knows what is good for him.

Green Bay would kill him, and if he lost to the Packers, the Bears fans would think he was fixing the game
Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I don't know if that would have been possible, but going to Thompson and telling him that would have opened up some other options besides this fiasco.
Lots of behind the scenes stuff can happen.
Possibly. But...the team would take all of the heat in that situation or Favre would. There would be no speculation.

In the current scenario, a split is mutual with no real loser outside of the GB/Favre fan.

If he leaves, GB can use the excuse that they had to plan for life without favre and going back to him would have longterm cap ramifications that would leave the team in dire straights. On top of that, they would have to cut some good veterans right now.

Favre can say that he wanted to go back but the team couldnt make it work. What better way could it have played out if he told thompson immediately after the season that he no longer wanted to play in GB?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Possibly. But...the team would take all of the heat in that situation or Favre would. There would be no speculation.

In the current scenario, a split is mutual with no real loser outside of the GB/Favre fan.

If he leaves, GB can use the excuse that they had to plan for life without favre and going back to him would have longterm cap ramifications that would leave the team in dire straights. On top of that, they would have to cut some good veterans right now.
Favre can say that he wanted to go back but the team couldnt make it work. What better way could it have played out if he told thompson immediately after the season that he no longer wanted to play in GB?

Other than the bolded above, which is impossible to sell because they are $31 Million under the cap, everything else is conjecture and can never be proven. I don't think this is any more than what appears at face value, you think there might be more to it. It's a qualitative argument that has no end so let's see how it plays out.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
I'll take the leap and buy your "rumors", which I don't believe. But why exactly did he want out of GB if not to retire? It's not money, it's not his relationship with McCarthey, it's not the talent surrounding him, it's not that he wants to play in a "big city"...so, what is it then? I mean...I lived in GB for four years and moved to Chicago as fast as I could so I'm not some naive Green Bay guy, but he genuinely liked living up there.

Ted Thompson.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Sasquash
Ted Thompson.
He likes him a whole lot more than Mike Sherman. And he brought him players who can win.

I know you're saying on a personality level though..
who knows
Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Other than the bolded above, which is impossible to sell because they are $31 Million under the cap, everything else is conjecture and can never be proven. I don't think this is any more than what appears at face value, you think there might be more to it. It's a qualitative argument that has no end so let's see how it plays out.
Fair enough. Either way, regardless of how it plays out i dont think anyone is at fault here. Favre has earned the right to do as he pleases and the team has been more than gracious and patient with him over the last couple of seasons. If Favre indeed chooses to play elsewhere i dont think anyone should villify him whether he made the decision recently as you say or whether it was made way back like i say.

I agree...lets see how it plays out.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Thistley Downs

Favre...what a donut.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Arlington Park

originally i think he wanted to retire, he'd had enough. now he's off all winter and spring. he's bored and doesn't know what to get into. driven his wife and kids crazy and they told him to go play football.
timing of the decision, it's gotten him out of workouts and mini-camp, that ALL the vets HATE!
i think the packers should either trade farve or release him. it's time for the packers to move on. there are plenty of teams that could rent farve and he'd help for a year or so. even if to teach a younger qb. farve Can't be in GB and teach rodgers.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiphan
This has been going on for over 3 years. People seem to forget about this. This isn't new. When will it end? He has been given a pass by us as fans and the media more times than anyone else. No one forced him to make a decision this year. Ted Thompson begged for him to come back in McCarthy's first year as coach. Brett made his decision. His number is being retired on the first game of the year vs vikings, his locker was sent to him in MS. The packers have moved on and brett needs to do the same. He came out and told everyone he retired. I am not saying that Rodgers is the next MVP QB, etc.; but Favre is the past now. As much as I don't like it, it is time to move on.
favre still had damn good numbers the last few years, better than most of the other qb's in the league. i'm not quite sure why anyone has to 'move on'--it's football. all teams need a qb, what does it matter really if favre wants to play another year? how does it hurt anyone? hell, the pack made it to the post season last year-which is exactly what you want from your team--so how did favre staying hurt them last season? it's not as tho he is hurting his team by remaining-if the guy behind him was soooo good, he'd be the starter.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Thistley Downs

She's in Louisiana.....what do you expect?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Asked for his release from GB today....Wonder where he's going?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:06 AM
pgardn

Quote:
Asked for his release from GB today....Wonder where he's going?
He really cant go back to the Central.
Probably not even the NFC.

How about KC?

I failed to comment on this thread (a first)
because I was trying to figure out what the
heck he wants.

I will go with Football is all he knows withdrawl symptoms.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Thistley Downs

I hope they say ..we will release you...no we won't...yes we will.....no we won't.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Hialeah Park

blah, blah, blah..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3486775
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Arlington Park

i think the problem is he spends his offseason in mississippi.

anyone faced with an entire year there would want to find some alternative.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:09 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god

anyone faced with an entire year there would want to find some alternative.

I think the problem is his ego is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE and it is killing his ego to have his career end the way it did last year.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
off season in mississippi is easy , winter in GB is hard!
i think the packers should have pushed him for an answer. it wasn't right that he left the team in limbo until he made a decision.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Thistley Downs

I wonder if he will have a press conference to officially announce his unretirement--and cry.

There's never been a greater pc crier.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Thistley Downs

You misguided Favre fans....type in cleveland.com and go to sporty news....Bill Livingston.

People are finally starting to print the truth.

You may not like it.