Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Today was just too much for me to take. I've finally been convinced. Keeneland needs to install Polytrack.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Dee Tee Stables

hope teuflesberg pulls thru ok, but multiple fractures....damn, not good.
he certainly can't help the train wreck he was a part of. much as sanders got blasted here, i know the horse was never a part of that. hoping for the best for him.

as for the horse flipping in the paddock, i don't see how anyone can point a finger at keeneland for that. that's just a freak thing that happens with a highstrung horse.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
much as sanders got blasted here, i know the horse was never a part of that.
Unfortunately, in the end he paid the price....I can't believe anyone would give her stock, especially on the heels of the rumors swirling around that the horse wasn't sonud to begin with
Old 10-06-2007, 07:16 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

very sad , now the rest of her string wont eat. and she will have to go back to gasoline and bong water for hair color.........
Old 10-06-2007, 09:05 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
... gasoline and bong water for hair color.........
I'm laughing... out loud
Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Keeneland

Has anyone heard anything this evening about Teuf?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
There a lot of reasons, owner, trainer not licensed, foal papers not on file, wrong shoes, ownership disputes, late to paddock, late shipping, etc.

my good friend and fav jock=) made the trip from remington to BRD to ride 1 day this past week only to have the horse scratched becuz of no papers, LOL what was funny was the horse was in the paddock and everything with 15mtp be4 the scratch occurred.....LOL fucin gyp's. anyways i guess the bush tracks give ya that much wiggle room LOL and as far as ash goes well she got the jocks mount since she was already weighed in and the connections paid her for her gas, but still a wasted 2 hrs there and back thanks to someones incompetence

PWNED
Old 10-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Keeneland

Well, the lead story on the local NBC Lexington affiliate news at 11:00pm was about "two horses dying at Keeneland today". They showed video of Dream of Angels in the paddock (the horse wasn't seen, just all the people holding up the tarps around the poor horse), had quotes from the attending vet regarding the severity of injury and how easy it is for a horse to suffer severe injury falling, interviewed a few female race fans who were at the paddock when that happened (crying); showed video of Gold Train pulling up in the race and reporting the euthanasia; and showed the video of Teufelsburg being pulled up in his race, and the ambulance taking him off. They mentioned Keeneland has grass and rubber bricks in the paddock for horse safety, and polytrack.

They reported Teuf was taken to Rood and Riddle, "where he is to have surgery next week to fuse broken bones in both his front legs".

Believe it or not, with all that, it wasn't sensationalized, it was very sad and very respectful of the horses. They treated it as they do when there's a bad car accident with deaths.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

They reported Teuf was taken to Rood and Riddle, "where he is to have surgery next week to fuse broken bones in both his front legs".

/both front legs?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Keeneland

They repeated "both front legs" twice, at the top of the newscast and in sports. But it didn't sound like it came from Rood and Riddle, and I don't know who they got the "surgery next week" from (which would be Monday, and makes sense), as they didn't ascribe that info to "vets at R and R" or anything.

Maybe they watch ESPN. Don't know.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
They repeated "both front legs" twice, at the top of the newscast and in sports. But it didn't sound like it came from Rood and Riddle, and I don't know who they got the "surgery next week" from (which would be Monday, and makes sense), as they didn't ascribe that info to "vets at R and R" or anything.

Maybe they watch ESPN. Don't know.

Not to be naive..but how does that happen? I was watching the race and he was going nicely and then pulled up. I understand a bad step, but...
Old 10-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Keeneland

I heard something about him breaking his sesamoids, but didn't hear that it was both front legs... this can't be correct, can it?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Keeneland

Hyperflexion of the fetlocks can cause sesamoid injuries, and bilateral isn't uncommon in race horses (looking back through the literature regarding same).

We don't know what the real deal is, guess we'll have to see if the owners wish to discuss Teuf publically. I sure hope it's something repairable.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Hyperflexion of the fetlocks can cause sesamoid injuries, and bilateral isn't uncommon in race horses (looking back through the literature regarding same).

We don't know what the real deal is, guess we'll have to see if the owners wish to discuss Teuf publically. I sure hope it's something repairable.
When he got loose after, it didn't appear to be both front legs to me, but I'm not a vet... I just hope he pulls through. Hard to tell how good this colt really could have been. I personally think that Sanders made some questionable decisions and I'll bet that she's thinking about that tonight. Poor Teuf.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Randwyck

http://www.wlextv.com/global/story.asp?s=7178804
It says fractures to both feet. very sad hope he makes it
Old 10-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
http://www.wlextv.com/global/story.asp?s=7178804
It says fractures to both feet. very sad hope he makes it
The fact that they use the term feet when the bone isn't in the foot shows a someone who's being a bit vague about the anatomy right there (I mean more so than I would expect from someone who interviewed a vet. I figure that's fair). They didn't quote the vet directly, just paraphrased, otherwise there'd be ""s. I heard fractures to both sesamoids which I bet they assumed were in both front legs when it's actually the sesamoids in the same leg. Correct me if I'm wrong (not a vet or anything) but aren't there two in each front ankle area? The proximal sesamoid bones, connected *wincing because I really hope these are the right anatomy references* by/to/with/whatever the suspensory ligament. Unless that's wrong and then nevermind.

I'd hate to be BSing here but it was the most logical thing that occurred to me since I and a few other people it seems were confused about the idea that he'd broken both front legs. Am I shooting my mouth off or does this make any sense to anybody else?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:04 AM
Keeneland

Could be (yes, two sesamoid bones each ankle). The story on the WLEX website is from AP. Dr. Alan Ruggles is a surgeon at Rood and Riddle. From the TV news, I got the impression he was present at the track today (maybe the AAEP vet present at big event days to deal with media?), due to his detailed description of Dream of Angels. What a tragically ironic name for that poor horse. Rest in peace.

-----------------
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.): It was a rough start to the first Saturday of Keeneland's Fall Meet. Two horses had to be euthanized and a third pulled up short with an ankle fracture.

Teuflesberg, the 17th-place finisher in the Kentucky Derby, pulled up short in the Grade 3 Phoenix Handicap with fractures to both feet. He was expected to have surgery early next week to fuse bones in his ankles, said veterinarian Alan Ruggles.

The ugliest injury of the day didn't happen on the track but in the paddock as Dream of Angels was being saddled for the Phoenix. The horse was euthanized because of severe head trauma, severe bleeding and cranial and spinal cord problems. "It doesn't take a lot of force when you're a heavy animal to be injured severely," Ruggles said. "Around Keeneland, there's grass and there's rubber bricks to protect the horses. But it's like you and I, you just hit yourself in a certain way and just the force at a certain angle can cause dramatic damage."

Gold Train also was euthanized after pulling up lame with a fractured right foot just past the quarter-pole in the Lane's End Breeders' Futurity.

Tracks across the country have been looking into synthetic surfaces, in part to prevent catastrophic breakdowns, such as the one that doomed Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro in the 2006 Preakness. Keeneland was among the first to install Polytrack, and track officials said injuries were down last year.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Monmouth Park

Ruggles was at Keeneland. Janine Edwards wore him out with Q & A yesterday.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
When he got loose after, it didn't appear to be both front legs to me, but I'm not a vet... I just hope he pulls through. Hard to tell how good this colt really could have been. I personally think that Sanders made some questionable decisions and I'll bet that she's thinking about that tonight. Poor Teuf.
Out of curiosity, how many horses does she have in her barn? Anyone know?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarta
Out of curiosity, how many horses does she have in her barn? Anyone know?
too many.

didn't realize teuf got loose, perhaps that was when the injury to the other front leg occurred, trying to compensate for the one. something that sounded really bad now sounds that much worse.

good luck teuflesberg!