Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 AM
The Curragh

Matt

Part of the problem today is the radio blackout or delay to public access of wednesday shows of ATRAB which will end valentines day. Another reason why there hasn't been the props deserved on this site for such a great collection of personalities and dominant figures in the game is simply marketing. This was a show worthy of a few bucks of advertisment by Sirius for ATRAB as the quality of the discussion was that good.

Byk is the dominant voice for the "player" of the game of horse racing. I for one would not be in the game as a fan or a player, and now with the syndicate a minor owner, if it were not for Byk's success as a creative and innovative betting mind who is more like the "regular guy" with an education and the energy to use it than the fat cats who use their wallet to get an edge. I for one am eternally grateful for Byk"s ethics and morals. The game is a better place because of him .....and for shows like today!!!

DrDave
Old 02-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Santa Anita

Any person with a web site should get this show linked ASAP. Very great stuff. Hats off to Steve for putting together a heavyweight lineup that was not afraid to speak the truth.

Apparently, talking about races from the 70s, banned posters, and a dead horse are more interesting to many. Not that those topics are bad, but many things brought up on the show should be discussed in detail.

Last edited by Kasept : 02-01-2007 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 AM
Flemington

Hooves,I listen sometimes,but they continue to play audio of the race calls of stakes races we already know the result of.If you add that to the commercials,there is quite a bit of pain to go through in order to get to the pleasure......It's a Mixed bag.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

What station, what time, what day? I'm very busy most of the day and have to be at work early every mourning. I guess I don't eat, sleep and dream horse racing as much as others. I use it to relax not as a job but as a hobby.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:09 AM
Flemington

O.K.,listened to the archive of Wednesday's interview with Brown.I mentioned this CO2 gap when Oracle asked about Mitchell going to the detention barn 12/18.Tons of these guys are giving their horses these alkalizing agents,and remaining under the limit of Co2 of 36,or 37.The horse(on his own is about 30,or maybe 31,)and these guys give them tablets(Mullins says they are for their stomach) to get their CO2 to 34,or 35.Once in a while,the horse gets dehydrated etc.,and they exceed the limit of 36,or 37.They give them a huge gap from 30to36,or 37(to cheat with no punishment.)The track knows these guys cheat(by running 34-35,)but they set the limit at the high extreme of 36,or 37,because that level is way too high to be gotten naturally.This is why these trainer/owners (you might call them no names) can't win races.Their horses are running at 30 co2 levels,and Mullins and many others are running horses with CO2 levels of 34 or 35.When you see some Joe Blow claim a horse,and they can't come close to what the previous trainer's beyers etc. were.....well,now you know atleast 1 of the reasons for that.Take note of the guys Periban claimed those horses away from,and miraculously turned around(earlier in the Anita meet.).Most likely,those low profile guys weren't using any alkalizing agents at all.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 02-01-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegossard
Steve,

The show kicked major azz. It's rare to get such a good group all on one show and talk about the stuff you went into. I think we need more of this out there in the media. Your show blew away any of the other BS I see on TVG. The people who run TVG could learn a lot on how to put on a show that real race fans can appreciate. It's funny how the trainer suspensions/joke thing came up on the show and today Dutrow got a whopping 7 day suspension. Keep up the good work.
Pete..

Thanks very much.. I've thought that with 15 hours a week of airtime there is a lot we can do to be an advocate for real improvement in the game, and as an outlet for horsemen and important voices like those we had Wednesday, we're at least trying to be pro-active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by point given
I couldn't agree more. I only listened to the first hour on replay tonight, but was greatly encouraged by Jerry Brown putting his $ where his mouth is. I had read sparingly some articles in regards to just below the threshhold testing out west. I havenot heard a more down to earth realist perpective in quite a while and was impressed. Can't wait to listen to the other 2 hours.

Steve, you've done yoemans service to the game in organizing this program. I thank you .
Thanks PG.. It seems that Jerry Brown's suggestions have particularly hit home.. As crazy as 'JB' can be, he may be on to something that players will support, though Andy Beyer didn't agree. I spoke to Brown after the show and he said he'll urge Beyer to get behind the potential boycott if it comes to a boycott...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
the most important show ive heard yet kudos
Matt-O,

Thanks buddy! And thanks for urging everyone to listen with the other post. I know that what was discussed Wednesday may not be for everyone, as race fans have varying degrees of interest and levels of commitment to the game's existence and future. But if people want to learn why we are where we are and what needs to be addressed to slow or reverse the erosion, these three hours would be a great place to start.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
Any person with a web site should get this show linked ASAP. Very great stuff. Hats off to Steve for putting together a heavyweight lineup that was not afraid to speak the truth.
CJ,

Thanks very much.. A majority of credit for assembling the lineup Wednesday, as well as helping me crystalize the issues discussed, goes to "BTW", Andy Serling.

While I'm new on the 'scene' and have ATRAB as an outlet for vocalizing concerns for racing's long term health, Andy has spent nearly two decades as an advocate for the game. He won't say so, but he tirelessly works 'behind the scenes' with the most influential people in the game pointing out inequities and opportunities.

(And while we're on the topic of dedicated people involved in racing, I'll take this opportunity to point out to DTers that "cmorioles" has become one of the elite 'figure makers' in the game, a new millenium Beyer/Ragozin/Brown as it were... Visit his Pace Figures to learn more about what CJ has crafted..)
http://www.pacefigures.com
Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Narragansett Park

Steve,

I caught the last hour of the Wednesday show on my way to work Thursday morning.

It was great, I cant wait to go home and download the rest of it so i can listen. Keep up the good work.

You, JJ and John do an outstanding job day in and day out. Thanks, finally a horse racing show that I truly enjoy!!

HH
Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 AM
AlekseiCherkaso

Default Question

I assume im just missing something simple, but does anyone know what im doing wrong. When I try to download the podcast for ATRAB, i just get an code filled page, I tried subscribing to that rss thing, but that didnt help. When i go to ituenes, i find the podcast for ATRAB, but there are no episodes available for download. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Seth B.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Suffolk Downs

Default Yanks/Seth

Here is the easiest way I've found to download the program.

Click on the podcasting link to bring up a page with the individual one-hour blocks of shows. They usually have a name like "0213a". Right click on the 0213a link and click "Save Target As". I save mine to the desktop so it's easy to find. Each one hour block will take a few minutes to download. When the download is complete, go to Itunes, click on the menu on the far left and click on "Import." Go to desktop (or wherever you saved the file) and double click on the downloaded programs. It will import the downloaded program, and it will appear in both your music library and your "recently added" playlist.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:08 AM
AlekseiCherkaso

Default Thank you

I will try that once i get home, but it sounds like it will work, makes sense. Thank you very much for your help, it was really annoying, not being able to figure it out.