Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
No, I think the most important factor is that his value, as low as you or I think that is, won't get any higher with another year in training and can only drop.
It wont matter because he is already coming into a really tough market for stallions. I really dont think he is worth much more as a stud as he could win on the track.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I think he beat older horses twice that year, the AT and BC. Werent they the only grade 1's he had that year?
The BC Sprint was the only Grade 1 he ever ran in.

He won the Gr 2 Kentucky Cup Sprint by 12 and he wired the sprint field with Grand Slam and Kona Gold in behind him. He won a straight 3yo stake at HP earlier in the year by 6 over Souvenier Copy and Full Moon Madness.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Was there a horse in '98 that won the equivalent of the Golden Shaheen, Sunshine Millions, True North and Smile Sprint?
Thor's Echo was defeated in both the Sunshine Millions Sprint and Ancient Title by Bordenero the year he won the title. He was also defeated three times by Proud Tower Too - including a loss to him in the Golden Shaheen.

Going into the '06 BC Sprint - Thor's Echo had lost 8 straight races, and hadn't won since taking a Cal Bred race at Del Mar the year before.

Henny Hughes had a Jersey Shore, King's Bishop, and Vosburgh triple going into the BC Sprint.

A horse like Street Boss has two Grade 1s already this year - and an ancient title and BC Sprint sweep wouldn't be shocking since he seems to like synthetic.

Benny the Bull doesn't have a single '08 Grade 1 win in the US.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
It wont matter because he is already coming into a really tough market for stallions. I really dont think he is worth much more as a stud as he could win on the track.
i don't either, which was my point about bringing him back. he isn't needed in the barn, and could be more productive on the track. i just think this is a perfect example of breeding overtaking the racing part of the sport. what possible need could there be for this horse to cover mares?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
He has it wrapped up? If a horse wins the Forgeo and Breeders Cup wont they have just as good if not better credentials then BtB? And thats not even counting the De Francis. The Dubai race is nice but it shouldnt count and the Sunshine Millions is a restricted race. He may be the leader now but he is far from a lock.
I'm with you- I don't think he has it at ALL wrapped up. I think Street Boss should get consideration, especially if he wins the Ancient Title and/or the BC.

I understand the retirement, because they THINK they can make more money at stud and perhaps he wouldn't come back from it 100%, but I think they're in for a big surprise on how many people want to breed to him at their asking price (I'll guess $25k).

Just to be clear, I actually like Benny a lot, and would have loved to have seen him this weekend.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
The BC Sprint was the only Grade 1 he ever ran in.

He won the Gr 2 Kentucky Cup Sprint by 12 and he wired the sprint field with Grand Slam and Kona Gold in behind him. He won a straight 3yo stake at HP earlier in the year by 6 over Souvenier Copy and Full Moon Madness.
Kona Gold was a lightly raced 4yo at the time who almost didn't make the Sprint. He had been sensational at Del Mar, romping in 3 straight allowance races (only Officer won easier at Del Mar in the last decade) despite breaking poorly in at least two of them. He was well backed in the Ancient Title, but didn't fire, finishing a modest 5th. That left him behind the 8-ball as far as BC points go, and Headley had to plead his case to whoever makes additions based on performance. Kona Gold got in as a member of the mutual field, which killed his price quite a bit, but he didn't get a particularly good trip anyways, lagging further back then usual, IIRC, before making an inside move on the far turn and staying on for 3rd.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
You are correct!!!

Yeah....happens once every few years.......me being correct that is.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
I'm with you- I don't think he has it at ALL wrapped up. I think Street Boss should get consideration, especially if he wins the Ancient Title and/or the BC.

I understand the retirement, because they THINK they can make more money at stud and perhaps he wouldn't come back from it 100%, but I think they're in for a big surprise on how many people want to breed to him at their asking price (I'll guess $25k).

Just to be clear, I actually like Benny a lot, and would have loved to have seen him this weekend.

If they ask for more than $12,500 for him, they really need to be examined. I'll guess $10,000 is the starting price, and that is also too high.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44
If they ask for more than $12,500 for him, they really need to be examined. I'll guess $10,000 is the starting price, and that is also too high.
he should be $7500 but you have to take into consideration that no one will want to pay full price for him so they have to bump the price to get what they really need to get for him. They should try him in a regional market like PA
Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698

Where have you been man ? Engine One has been threatening me with pm's while typing from the computer in his parents basement.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44
I think 10k is the "right" price, but you have to remember who you're dealing with. These guys are surely going to overestimate his value.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
I think 10k is the "right" price, but you have to remember who you're dealing with. These guys are surely going to overestimate his value.
i say they go for 25k and spin the hell out of him. one third of all stud fees goes to the cause of the week to help out with our PR. watch.