Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I hope you guys see my point on this. Personally, and this is me, if I had a horse at his level, that has made me over 1 million dollars, that horse would NEVER seen a claiming tag and would be getting the most expensive mare hookers that I could get my hands on on a weekly basis.

I always thought Block was a good trainer, but today showed me something from a personality angle. Unless he had some Dutchie agreement(Don't try and claim his horses or you won't get stables next year type thing) and talked to some of the bigger outfits about Mystery Giver, I am extremely disappointed as a fan of Chris Block that he would even RISK losing this horse.

This horse in Illinois is like Funny Cide in NY (I know they have accomplished completely different things but you should understand the point I am trying to get)

ALOT of these horses just give it there all and push themselves to the limits and for what, extra hay and maybe a peppermint, to even be put at risk for only 40k is atrocious(?)...This horse could have easily been claimed today and shipped to like Lone Star and just gobbled up purse after purse and made back that 40k plus another 40k, then 2 years later would have ended up in some horse slaughter line.....just unreal
ok, i understand. on the other hand, he could have pulled about $55,000 out of the race today if he was taken and won as well. I guess that's the other way to see it. Who knows... Who would you rather have coaching the Dolphins... Wannstedt or Saban?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Ateam, don't forget he was on a 2 year layoff, no way he is fit yet....This being said, I don't think he would have ever won the Million EVEN AT HIS BEST. Serious horses come for the Million, but it is always nice to have a local interest in it, Arlington doesn't get the type of horses NY, Cali or Florida gets.

All in all, I just hope Block knocks this claiming crap off, and if I run into him at Arlington(I am considering going tomorrow just to find him) and I am going to go off on him
Dude, this was his third start back from that layoff...when's he gonna be fit?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:01 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Gorella? Now that would be awesome. You would think she is already showing up to Arlington because of the Beverly D.
well showing up might show up...and to be spanked by qo baord and g rilla would be awsome ..i dont think biancone cant put here in ...his ego demands it
Old 06-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Saratoga

ATEAM...a two year layoff after shattering his cannon bone, he didn't do anything for two years. How would you feel, look, react to working out if you sat in a chair for one year straight, maybe even 18 months. This isn't knee surgery or knee chip or tendon, had surgery alot like Barbaros(not to the insane extent but you get my point)

EVEN MORE SO now, Block pays to get this surgery done and repair the cannon, and then throws him up for a tag...I am guessing surgery is 100k roughly, maybe Landson can confirm or give us a better idea.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
well showing up might show up...and to be spanked by qo baord and g rilla would be awsome ..i dont think biancone cant put here in ...his ego demands it
Gorella would EXCEL on this turf course, looking forward to seeing her on Million Day, in any capacity. Not sure about Showing Up, Secretariat never draws a big field anymore so it won't surprise me if he won it....If he doesn't win the next one, he won't even come to that, no reason, only a 400k purse, which Dicky D needs to work on
Old 06-30-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
Ain't no way Showing Up is going in there if he wins the VA Derby..

So Scav, you're suggesting that Mystery Giver is gonna be much better a few starts down the line than he is now? I'm gonna have to disagree with that.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Saratoga

Ateam, Showing Up will be in the Secretariat at Arlington if he wins the Virginia Derby....THE only way he isn't in that race is if he breaks his leg.....

You realize there is a 5 million dollar bonus if you win both Colonial Races, the Secretariat, and the BC turf, right?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Ateam, Showing Up will be in the Secretariat at Arlington if he wins the Virginia Derby....THE only way he isn't in that race is if he breaks his leg.....

You realize there is a 5 million dollar bonus if you win both Colonial Races, the Secretariat, and the BC turf, right?
Dude, that was my exact point. If I read correctly, Hoovesie was saying Showing Up might be in the MILLION...I was saying if he wins the VA Derby, he'll be in the Secretariat...
Old 06-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Saratoga

I don't think Hooves meant that....at least me and you were on the same page
Old 06-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Hollywood Park

I concur...I can't believe he let this horse run for a tag...

but I must admit....I'm laughing so hard about the title....I can't wait for good ole blocky to read this thread and think it's about him, he'll be so dissapointed...
Old 06-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Saratoga

I didn't even think about that....oh man
Old 06-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
I didn't even think about that....oh man

so comedy...in the immortal words...of you buddy
Old 06-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Saratoga

Good night, I just suffered a BRUTAL beat, one that with another inch of ground, I would have been set up for the next couple months and made back alot of what I have blown recently.....Going to roll my rebate money on Irish something in the 4th at Arlington, if that horse wins, then I am rolling all that over on Equal Opportunity....PEACE OUT
Old 07-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Gulfstream Park

Block hasn't become one of the top trainers in the Midwest by being stupid. He was right; he placed the horse in the spot WHERE HE BELONGED (he didn't run off and win by 10). He won the race and nobody claimed him. The horse hadn't won in 2 years and he's 8 years old. Who would drop $40,000 for that? Its not as if he dropped him in for $5K. Horses are expensive to keep. I don't think anybody should tell owners to NOT race their horses.