Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
Loyola's majority of priests were decent, not great but decent
Interestingly, that's one of the issues with private schools (many of which are religious)- the teachers are okay, but nothing great, because they don't have to continue their education or learn about new teaching methods. Public school teachers are required to continue their education (at their own expense) if they are to maintain their certification. At the non-profit I worked at, we offered some continuing education programs for teachers a few times every year. I hated them, because they were always on holidays (because no school) so I had to work holidays, but then again, at least I was paid to be there on a holiday, while the teachers attending were paying to be there on their days off.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:15 PM

http://gawker.com/ceo-of-bankrupt-ch...s-i-1700456997

Good grief. That letter...
Old 04-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
Oho....wow

I have no doubt they learned something valuable....how tone deaf can you be?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Interestingly, that's one of the issues with private schools (many of which are religious)- the teachers are okay, but nothing great, because they don't have to continue their education or learn about new teaching methods. Public school teachers are required to continue their education (at their own expense) if they are to maintain their certification. At the non-profit I worked at, we offered some continuing education programs for teachers a few times every year. I hated them, because they were always on holidays (because no school) so I had to work holidays, but then again, at least I was paid to be there on a holiday, while the teachers attending were paying to be there on their days off.
Except some of the lay teachers I had at LA were exceptional. While priests mainly taught things like English, Latin and Theology, lay teachers primarily taught math, science and history. The reason I went there was a decision made solely by my mother and it wasn't because of religion but rather the school being far superior to Glenbrook South, the public school I would have gone to. I just checked and Loyola to this day towers over GBS in both test scores and students going onto college. I must also add my hometown Glenview IL was upper-middle class to upper class and remains so today.

Also I'd say a 1/3 of the students attending Loyola were not Catholic and theology was not a mandatory class. In fact I was enrolled in an integrated science program freshman and sophomore year where Chemistry, Physics and Biology I and II were all taught in a 2-period class and those in the program did not take theology.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Except some of the lay teachers I had at LA were exceptional. While priests mainly taught things like English, Latin and Theology, lay teachers primarily taught math, science and history. The reason I went there was a decision made solely by my mother and it wasn't because of religion but rather the school being far superior to Glenbrook South, the public school I would have gone to. I just checked and Loyola to this day towers over GBS in both test scores and students going onto college. I must also add my hometown Glenview IL was upper-middle class to upper class and remains so today.

Also I'd say a 1/3 of the students attending Loyola were not Catholic and theology was not a mandatory class. In fact I was enrolled in an integrated science program freshman and sophomore year where Chemistry, Physics and Biology I and II were all taught in a 2-period class and those in the program did not take theology.
Out of curiosity, I googled, and in fact 13 percent of Glenbrook South's students are economically disadvantaged. Obviously, I don't know what the demographics were when you were there, but today slightly more than one out of ten students is poor. In light of that, they have an exceptionally good graduation rate.

Loyola's tuition is currently over $15,000/year.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I googled, and in fact 13 percent of Glenbrook South's students are economically disadvantaged. Obviously, I don't know what the demographics were when you were there, but today slightly more than one out of ten students is poor. In light of that, they have an exceptionally good graduation rate.

Loyola's tuition is currently over $15,000/year.
Quote:
This school year Loyola Academy is awarding almost $4 million in scholarships based on financial need. The recipients of these awards are as diverse as our student body. There is no standard formula for determining an award. Each case is considered individually. We have made awards to families with no means of support and to families with six figure incomes. The average award this year was $6,800. The size of the awards have varied from $1,000 to full tuition. Where our recipients live is equally varied. They live in Chicago and over twenty-five suburbs including Niles, Evanston, Highland Park, Glenview, Park Ridge, Wilmette and Winnetka, to name a few.
http://www.goramblers.org/FinancialAid

You can bash the Catholic Church but trust me bashing Loyola is a losing battle.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Keeneland

And LA became co-ed to accommodate girls after Marilac HS an all-girls HS closed. At least when I was there we had far more minorities and low income kids than GBS did. And they were fellow Ramblers not minorities to us!
Old 04-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
SCHOOL
Founded in 1909, Loyola Academy is a co-educational, private, Catholic, Jesuit college preparatory high school located on the North Shore of Chicago. All of Loyola’s programs are college preparatory, with 99% of the graduating class enrolling in four-year institutions.

With approximately 2,000 students (518 seniors) enrolled in grades 9-12, Loyola is the largest Jesuit college preparatory high school in the United States. Loyola draws students of diverse backgrounds from 250 elementary and junior high schools throughout Chicago (40%) and its suburbs (60%). Grant aid is available to students based on need. In 2010-2011, nearly $4 million in aid was awarded to 30% of the student body.
http://www.goramblers.org/document.doc?id=444
Old 04-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...mentioned.html

omg.
tickets so hard to come by, but this guy got one.
sigh
Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
http://www.goramblers.org/FinancialAid

You can bash the Catholic Church but trust me bashing Loyola is a losing battle.
And how do they accept these lower income students? Do they just take in anyone, as public schools are required to do, or do they get to pick and choose who they feel will be a good fit for their school?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...mentioned.html

omg.
tickets so hard to come by, but this guy got one.
sigh
OOH! He can hang out with this guy!

http://gawker.com/english-only-usa-c...nde-1700601151
Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
And how do they accept these lower income students? Do they just take in anyone, as public schools are required to do, or do they get to pick and choose who they feel will be a good fit for their school?
You have a point there as there are admission tests taken during the spring of 8th grade. There is also an interview process with the parents or in my case parent of perspective students.

First week of freshman year we were herded into the auditorium, all 500 or so of us with seating for only 400-450. We were then told at the beginning of Sophomore year there would be seats for everyone and to look around at the students standing and decide whether you're here or not will depend on how much work you're willing to do. Effort was judged more than results and the first 2 years seemed more like you were in the military rather than HS. However once you began Jr. year you were treated more as an adult than a student responsible for underclassmen's actions and any assistance they may need. You really developed a feeling of being a family and it truly was one of the best experiences of my life.

Funny but when I run into a fellow LA alum to this day no matter how many years apart you still get the feeling you're meeting a distant family member. Teachers, parents and fellow students truly cared about each other and for a kid coming from a home whose father didn't give 2 shiats about you it was enlightening for sure.

Can you tell I appreciate my Mom's decision to send me there regardless of what I wanted. (I wanted to go to GBS)
Old 04-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
OOH! He can hang out with this guy!

http://gawker.com/english-only-usa-c...nde-1700601151
ohmygod! that is hilarious.

latin has it's own country, sweet jesus.
they better not go to a latin mass. i have, it was awesome.

what will they do if they see 'e pluribus unum' on the money? or hear a marine say 'semper fi'??
Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
ohmygod!
Fantastic choice of words, moron!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/201...synd_ypolitics
Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ted-cruz-...spiracy-theory
Old 05-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/jeb-bush-...ign-money-rule
Old 05-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Keeneland

http://wgntv.com/2015/05/04/adolfo-d...encing-monday/

Resentenced from 'Life' in prison to 'Natural Life' in prison. Brilliant!

WTF, were they planning on keeping him locked up after his natural life was over? What a waste of taxpayer money and the court's time.

Meanwhile 5 dead 31 wounded in Chicago shootings over this past weekend. Not a peep from Jesse & Co. and no riots!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...503-story.html
Old 05-04-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
http://wgntv.com/2015/05/04/adolfo-d...encing-monday/

Resentenced from 'Life' in prison to 'Natural Life' in prison. Brilliant!

WTF, were they planning on keeping him locked up after his natural life was over? What a waste of taxpayer money and the court's time.

Meanwhile 5 dead 31 wounded in Chicago shootings over this past weekend. Not a peep from Jesse & Co. and no riots!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...503-story.html
ZZZZZZZZZ, wake me up when Dell has something new to say
Old 05-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
ZZZZZZZZZ, wake me up when Dell has something new to say
That would be after the next presidential election and ONLY if a far right repuke- is there any other-WINS

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)