Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Aqueduct

i think this show is staring to hit its stride pun intended. the chartacters and the ups and downs are really getting interesting. the dialouge to me is fantastic and the story lines are getting deeper and better. cant wait for the next episode.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Ocala Mike

Default Luck

Agree. Interesting characters to develop. No Nolte in last night's episode, but several curious relationships are going on.

Are Marcus and Jerry more than just friends? Is Joey's ex going to take him back? Who is Ace's love interest gonna be, Gus, the horse rescue chick, or his horse (how about that last scene)? Stay tuned.

Ocala Mike
Old 02-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Del Mar

it was just nice that the episode stayed predominantly around the track.

The trainer makes the show in my opinion. The racing scenes are good. If they can just cool out on the degenerates. Just my opinion but i don't find them very interesting at all.

Certainly the best episode yet...by far. They didn't even need a horse running in cheesy slow mo with the drippy music to make it work. Go figure.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Steve Byk

One of the unexpected pleasures of Luck's unspooling has been discovering a lot of cool film/tv/entertainment/pop culture websites I'd never been to before... Here's another one this week that Seth (EQD) linked up. Complex.com.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...p-episode-five
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Coach Pants

It's like being at the track and snooping on owners and trainers trying to find out what's going on.

Ohhh it's so secretive. *fart* I'm just dying to see who Teddy or whatever the mysterious guy is named. I hope it's Christopher from the Sopranos.

Look at this character! Guess what he's thinking while he looks off into space!! Ohhh I bet he's complex!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
It's like being at the track and snooping on owners and trainers trying to find out what's going on.

Ohhh it's so secretive. *fart* I'm just dying to see who Teddy or whatever the mysterious guy is named. I hope it's Christopher from the Sopranos.

Look at this character! Guess what he's thinking while he looks off into space!! Ohhh I bet he's complex!
If you dont like the show why do you keep watching it? Just asking.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
If you dont like the show why do you keep watching it? Just asking.
I won't answer for Coach, but I'll say that for me, it isn't that the show is "unwatchable" - it's simply that it is not very good.
We all have ties to the idiosyncrasies that go on at the track each day, so in that respect it's worth a look, but the program - for a program's sake - is not near HBO standards. Most everyone I know that is not associated in some form or fashion with the industry, whether a fan, owner or an employee, has given up on it already. It is just uninteresting. Sorry.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Fairgrounds

Showing animals getting injured (twice now) is not a good thing.The show needs to do something because it is losing my interest also.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Bank View Post
Showing animals getting injured (twice now) is not a good thing. The show needs to do something because it is losing my interest also.
It may lose your interest but I'm confused as to citing the concept of showing animals getting injured as an issue. Horses, and riders, don't get injured as a matter of course in the game? There's was a fatal breakdown in the first episode as a vehicle to establish in unaware viewers the legitimate concern that horse and rider are at risk every trip. It was done to establish the 100% real tension that accompanies every single race at every single oval in the world.

And in fact, I've read on TV critique boards that people were subsequently concerned in the races and training sequences since that the horse focused upon might get hurt... Right! You're supposed to be concerned that they could get hurt... Every morning they work out. Every race. Every afternoon in their stall. The thrown shoe that cut Pint o' Plain is a minor injury but another example of the myriad of bizarre mishaps that imperil horse and rider. That's an underlying reality of the game. Your heart is in your throat every waking minute. About EVERYTHING.

Milch is delivering the message in one way or another, on track and off, that involvement in the sport is an endless high wire act. I get the complaints that it isn't moving fast enough for those that are close to the sport. Those of us that follow the game closely are less likely to see the show as a spectacle and assault on the senses because we're all immersed in the assault. But there are a great number of people that had no idea of what goes on at the racetrack going in to the series, that are already fascinated but what they're watching.

What I've enjoyed most is the way the show was billed before debuting as not really being about horse racing, but about 'people with the racetrack as a backdrop'... Bullschit. It's turned out to be 100% about horse racing and nothing else. It's Milch trying to show to people that look quizically at the sport what being involved in the game is like. And why it's like no other sport, business or lifestyle.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Del Mar

Default Just finished episode 5.....

I am so impressed with John Ortiz, he has such a feel for this character. I think he's really doing quality work here. I am enjoying the show more each episode, i think the storylines and the characters are interesting. Obviously opinions vary, and the critics on here are entitled to their views. But i am excited about this show, i think it is growing stronger, and i look forward to seeing the additional characters and stories to come.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Flemington

Saw episode 5 last night. It was only 45 minutes long and nothing really happened. I guess their saving it all for the last 3 furlongs.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Hollywood Park

A few might pine for a Disney Channel verson of Luck. I enjoy the show for it on track setting, the great videography. Bracing myself for the next episode. The highlights look at an action packed episode.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Steve Byk

Was waiting to find out some backstory on the poker dealer, and here it is:
http://www.playboy.com/entertainment...eronika-rosati

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Randwyck

Red face

Daaaammmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnSkinny View Post
Daaaammmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!
She’s nothing compared to Jason Gedrick. (Jerry)

If we can just get him to take a shower, shave, get a real job, come home at 5PM every day, stop playing cards, and stop hanging out with those losers.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Hollywood Park

Posters on here and Cot Campbell whining and complaining about the image of horse racing portrayed by Luck? A couple of episodes ago Ace wrote a check for $376,000 for retired race horses.
Here's a story about real horses starving.
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/nat...-in-miami.aspx
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Coach Pants

sumitas loves this show. That is a strong indicator that it is catering to morons.

My teeth were grinding while they were waiting for the stewards decision in the grandstand. ***** please. It would take a full hour to get crippled f.uck in the winners circle.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Hollywood Park

Maybe in Cot's world anything negative about horse racing should also be censured.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard View Post
Posters on here and Cot Campbell whining and complaining about the image of horse racing portrayed by Luck? A couple of episodes ago Ace wrote a check for $376,000 for retired race horses.
Here's a story about real horses starving.
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/nat...-in-miami.aspx
Got caught up to episode 6 last night - Agree, the videography of the racing scenes is truly impressive. The rest is pure dreck. Glad I stuck with Shameless on Sunday nights and recorded this. I'm sure I will watch the rest of the season, only because of the subject matter - but to get yourself all twisted up over this "cuz it has horseys in it" is really silly. It is not very good.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Hollywood Park

Oh Lordy. I would love to see the winner's circle photo from episode 6.