Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 PM
Hialeah Park

Default Let’s DU-ET !! Pegasus Day Handicapping Thread

Anybody here care to delve into each and every race on the card? I printed out the pp’s and I’m jumping IN tonight. This is a terrific card, and I can’t wait until Saturday.

Let’s get a show of hands here from the usual characters, but let’s mix in some new blood if we can!

Rock? Bama? jms? Herk? Byk? Gus? NTamm? Joey? Casp? Serling?!? All are welcome here obviously, but let’s have healthy conversations regarding the P5’s, Rainbow6, and of course the two main races!

I’ll start it off with the first horse you see when opening up the form. Race 1, horse 1, Olympic Runner. Watch a replay of his debut on YouTube, Paco found trouble for this one every single step of the stretch run. 7/2 on the morning line for Saturday and stretches out from 5 panels to 8.5. He looked ready to RUN in his debut, but Paco couldn’t tip him off the rail once the hole closed up.

LETS HEAR IT FOLKS - - LETS TACKLE THESE RACES AND GET PAIIIID!. I’m ready for an all night discussion if that’s what it takes! Rock & Rollllllll Babycakes!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

The 1st feels like 1,4,6 to me. Nothing clever.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:13 PM

3rd... 4 is a stone cold single.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:18 PM

4th.... 1,6 look live about 3 other's can win. Totally against the 4. I hope he's crushed, dont like him at all.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
3rd... 4 is a stone cold single.
Because of the cutback to 5 furlongs? Or bc you like him to sit just off of Matties’ horse and pounce turning for home? He’ll have to hold off Stormy Liberal who looks to have a perfect setup here.

That said, I agree with the 4 being my most likely winner here. I’ll be playing the logical horses up top and keying the 2 Oak Bluffs to get up late for 3rd or 4th. A heavy SUPER play might be in store.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 PM
Longchamps

Although I wasn’t included in the list of elite I’ll give my opinion on first race as it’s only one I looked at so far. Paco and the 1 horse look like they will get frisky and try to go coast to coast. Don’t see it happening. 2 and 6 look like the ones to beat here and expect either to win.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
The 1st feels like 1,4,6 to me. Nothing clever.
While I obviously think the 1 is a major player, he’ll be bumping up in class, when the horse to his immediate right is dropping a peg. Could be running on late, esp if the fractions here are hotter than the one he faced in his debut.

I’m definitely looking hard at the Chad of course, and we’d be idiots if we leave off Saez’s mount and he pops at first asking.

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Although I wasn’t included in the list of elite I’ll give my opinion on first race as it’s only one I looked at so far. Paco and the 1 horse look like they will get frisky and try to go coast to coast. Don’t see it happening. 2 and 6 look like the ones to beat here and expect either to win.
LMAO

Knicks, I seriously had a brain fart when it was time to name some heavy hitters. You’re right up there with the best this board has to offer, and I ALWAYS look forward to your insight. It’s always welcome.

Let’s burn that midnight oil!

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
LMAO

Knicks, I seriously had a brain fart when it was time to name some heavy hitters. You’re right up there with the best this board has to offer, and I ALWAYS look forward to your insight. It’s always welcome.

Let’s burn that midnight oil!
I’m just picking on ya lol
Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 PM
Hialeah Park

If it makes anyone feel better, I played a $120 / 6 team parlay tonight.

Celts, Nets, Sixers, Wisconsin, Maple Leafs, aaaaaaand the BUM A$$ Pelicans, that POS franchise!

5 of 6 gets me back a whole lotta nothing!!!, except for some heartache. Really could’ve used the $1,000+ shot in the arm to hold me over for Pegasus Weekend. I had a settlement push back until Tuesday and was relying on that to jump in the deep end of the Pegasus pool on Saturday. Now, I’m down to spinning up the $100 and change I have left in my phonebet acct or I’m forced to tell my better half that I need some ‘walking around money to the tune of a thou or so’.

If these are my last posts on this website for a while, check on my well-being please!

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I, too, see Paco trying to take control early, but it scares me that Saez will be piloting a horse that has the ability to flash some speed. Seems like he’s been placing every mount of his perfectly and I give a ton of credence to that.

Chad’s numbers are hysterically good with Turf routers debuting over a mile. All you can do is laugh when you see the consistency he has with this sort.

Interesting race to kick off the P5 for sure. I’d LOVE to get through this one using 3 or less horses, bc I feel race’s 4 & 5 it would be best to cast a wider net if possible. Try to limit the number of horses used in this race and the Turf Sprint too, obviously.

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
4th.... 1,6 look live about 3 other's can win. Totally against the 4. I hope he's crushed, dont like him at all.
I’m with you in trying to beat the 4 in the third race. If Saez doesn’t ride the hair off of Bodexpress for the entire trip and can get him to relax in a nice position, the 3 horse could be in a nice spot on the turn for home if he’s good enough.

I don’t expect much from the Pletcher on the outside. If that horse was anything remotely special he wouldn’t have raced at Tampa in a 25k MSW in the slop. Could be me overthinking things of course, but I like the Union Rags Pletcher horse with Prat up.

This race could produce a nice price......and a horse or two to keep our eyes on in the future.

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Race 1

In the first the 11 hoss by War front with a couple of turf winners out of the mare working well looks good to me. 11/ 6-12. I’m gonna use some bombs in the super underneath as 7-8-9-14 all have a fighting chance at 15 or 20-1 morning line.
Super
6-12
6-7-8-9-12-14
6-7-8-9-12-14

In the pick 5
11-12
4-6-9
3-4
3-7-8-9
2-3-4

Last edited by Alabama Stakes : 01-24-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Saratoga

First, I am totally flattered to be even mentioned in this thread let alone with some really great handicappers. You use your adjectives and Ill use mine. I have been trying to refine my wagering to 3-6 wagers a day/card lately and Im okay with that. More watching and learning than gambling on each race.
I looked at Race 1 and have to say I am interested in the 9, Travelin. Looks like he walked out of the gate in his debut and on the off the turf next out was put on the lead and ran decent. Nice little work on the turf tucked in there before that second race too. I like Rosario IF he can get to the turn before Paco and control the pace, he may have a chance. A lot of ifs but at 20/1 Ml, I may drop a dime on him
Old 01-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
First, I am totally flattered to be even mentioned in this thread let alone with some really great handicappers. You use your adjectives and Ill use mine. I have been trying to refine my wagering to 3-6 wagers a day/card lately and Im okay with that. More watching and learning than gambling on each race.
I looked at Race 1 and have to say I am interested in the 9, Travelin. Looks like he walked out of the gate in his debut and on the off the turf next out was put on the lead and ran decent. Nice little work on the turf tucked in there before that second race too. I like Rosario IF he can get to the turn before Paco and control the pace, he may have a chance. A lot of ifs but at 20/1 Ml, I may drop a dime on him
Good stuff Casp, I’m sure Miss DeVaux, who used to post here, would just LOVE that outcome. I, too, liked the way Traveling looked in the shortened field last time out. Has every right to improve on the turf and good very well sir a nice trip with Rosario aboard.

Tough, tough sequence to kick the card off! Throw in some bad weather and we might have ourselves a few headscratcher results! I’m stoked as can be for Saturday!

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-25-2019, 06:43 PM
Hialeah Park

CRICKETS CRICKETS!!

Congrats to SethCarter (Seth) for hitting the Oaklawn P3 for races 6-8! Nice shot in the arm for tomorrow, but would have been WAYYY better had the 12 horse won race 7 @ odds of 55-1+. Oooof!

Great capping Seth!

Now let’s rock and roll tomorrow with this Pegasus card. Let’s cross our fingers that the full fields hold up with the weather.

Who’s got a single tomorrow? And why?! Let’s hear it folks. I’m torn between City of Lights and Coal Front as far as singles go. Let’s hope they both don’t win, as we’ll be looking for grande prices!

RAMP IT UP FELLAS (AND LADIES) !! LFGGGGGG

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Hialeah Park

If Kenneally and Irad Win the opener tomorrow, i’ll Definitely be on for the ride.

Raison Martini’s turf work on 12/22 (:46.1 3/50) screams that he’s ready and his subsequent works tells me that Eddie and Co. like what they saw that day so they wanted him to slow things up next time.

Cheapest horse in the race could light up the tote tomorrow.

Let’s hear it folks!

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
CRICKETS CRICKETS!!

Congrats to SethCarter (Seth) for hitting the Oaklawn P3 for races 6-8! Nice shot in the arm for tomorrow, but would have been WAYYY better had the 12 horse won race 7 @ odds of 55-1+. Oooof!

Great capping Seth!

Now let’s rock and roll tomorrow with this Pegasus card. Let’s cross our fingers that the full fields hold up with the weather.

Who’s got a single tomorrow? And why?! Let’s hear it folks. I’m torn between City of Lights and Coal Front as far as singles go. Let’s hope they both don’t win, as we’ll be looking for grande prices!

RAMP IT UP FELLAS (AND LADIES) !! LFGGGGGG
I’m going bold and singling the 6 in race four (unless I change my mind sleeping). Its one of those races where many seem the same so I’m going to take a stand. I love Violence young horses and this is is perfect spot for me. Plus race 5 needs plenty of coverage and I like a few in race 2.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:59 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
I’m going bold and singling the 6 in race four (unless I change my mind sleeping). Its one of those races where many seem the same so I’m going to take a stand. I love Violence young horses and this is is perfect spot for me. Plus race 5 needs plenty of coverage and I like a few in race 2.
To me he was so MOTO that it just felt wrong. Selling for $725 making him the second of 86 Violence sold in 2017. I know he’s a hot stallion. He’s working well. Brown has good numbers in this spot, unlike Pletcher and Mott who also have firsters. He figures to be played heavily if he’s the goods. Not my cup of tea.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:07 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
To me he was so MOTO that it just felt wrong. Selling for $725 making him the second of 86 Violence sold in 2017. I know he’s a hot stallion. He’s working well. Brown has good numbers in this spot, unlike Pletcher and Mott who also have firsters. He figures to be played heavily if he’s the goods. Not my cup of tea.
Still think 4 will be favorite but I gotta single somewhere and of the first 5 races he’s my choice. I couldn’t separate a bunch of others in this race so its logical for me. Good luck tomorrow