Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 PM
boldruler

Default Barbaro had surgery last night

Just go this in an e-mail.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/newsandeven..._Update7-9.htm

Late Saturday, July 8, Dr. Dean Richardson, Chief of Surgery, replaced the plate and many of the screws that had been inserted into Barbaro’s injured hind leg on May 21. “Barbaro had developed some discomfort and a consistently elevated temperature so we believed it was in his best interest to remove the hardware and thoroughly clean the site of the infection,” said Dr. Richardson. “We also applied a longer cast on that leg for additional support.........................

This one is not great news but not terrible either. He appears to be doing much better now than before last night.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Idlewild Airport

I have a much worse feeling about this than you do. I'm worried he is starting to take a turn. Not a good week in terms of info on him.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:36 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I have a much worse feeling about this than you do. I'm worried he is starting to take a turn. Not a good week in terms of info on him.
You could be right. They weren't concerned at all about his last one a couple days ago. Now I sensed they were a little more worried. They said he is still better than 50-50 so I guess it is a complication but there is a belief that this is all that really was the issue and it was taken care of.

I was told today he was much better. They are big time optimists though, which is a requirement in their business or they would lose their sanity.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:43 PM
top predator.

thank you for the update ruler. I have to say that this concerns me far more than anything else that has been said so far...but i'm pulling for him.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:49 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
thank you for the update ruler. I have to say that this concerns me far more than anything else that has been said so far...but i'm pulling for him.
From what I gather there is reason to be concerned this time.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
From what I gather there is reason to be concerned this time.
absolutely, no doctor/vet will reopen a surgical site unless completely warranted. He must has been in clear distress both in his vitals and demeanor.
fingers crossed.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I agree with you, when they said he had an infection in the sole of his good back foot I became alarmed for Barbaro. I spent the last year and a half battling a severe case of laminitis with my own horse, the signs like this are very scary, as someone who has traveled this road I am sure going to pray that Barbaro continues to have a good attitude, believe me, it is extremely important in this disease.