Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Default Deepest Derby field in recent memory

So many awesome colts. Upstart, Materiality, Frosted, Dortmund, American Pharoah, Carpe Diem, etc. etc.

It's gonna be a great show and one of the best Derbies since I've started watching racing.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Arlington Park

I hope Dortmund stays healthy and has a 4 year old campaign. What a physical specimen with a silky smooth gait. Not certain he'll win the Derby (trip) but I'd be surprised if he's not in the mix at the quarter pole.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
So many awesome colts. Upstart, Materiality, Frosted, Dortmund, American Pharoah, Carpe Diem, etc. etc.

It's gonna be a great show and one of the best Derbies since I've started watching racing.
Going to be one hell of a race to handicap too. Hope all stay on track to get there
Old 04-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Going to be one hell of a race to handicap too. Hope all stay on track to get there
Right?!?

Like, where do we even start?

Derby weekend can't get here quick enough!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Randwyck

I can make a case for alot this year with no faults usually its couple but its at least a handful this year
Old 04-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Kieran has to be feeling good about frosted. Hoperully they solved whatever ailed him after his last. Sure didnt quit today.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
Kieran has to be feeling good about frosted. Hoperully they solved whatever ailed him after his last. Sure didnt quit today.
Had a Llewelyn Procedure done.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Randwyck

Quote:

Couldn't agree more, let's hope they all make into the starting gate.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:

Agreed. It seems to me that there have been years in the past where a horse with International Star's connections, PPs, and pedigree would have been one of the top two or three choices. This year he probably won't be in the top six or seven.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Dee Tee Stables

And still with the ark derby upcoming. Been a great spring.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2 View Post
Agreed. It seems to me that there have been years in the past where a horse with International Star's connections, PPs, and pedigree would have been one of the top two or three choices. This year he probably won't be in the top six or seven.
Looking at Lucky, anyone?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Calder Race Course

Looking at Lucky was the favorite at 6:1
Old 04-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla View Post
Looking at Lucky was the favorite at 6:1
That was the point. This year, he wouldn't be just as International Star will have longer odds.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Gulfstream Park

Deep in what sense? I think that's more a function of fields in recent memory being such low standard than anything else. In terms of Beyer figs, this anticipated field is not dissimilar to that of last year, which has been denounced as a weak crop. Some of these may turn out to be great in the future without having a chance to win the Derby, e.g. Materiality, if that's what you mean? There's a few of the more favoured runners that I would be very surprised to see win.

I can only see five of the horses with any points whatsoever having any chance of winning, but only really like one, maybe two out of that five. There's two more extreme longshots that can potentially join that list of five if they have positive showings that fit my criteria at Oaklawn this weekend. Subjectively, liking one or two of twenty to win doesn't make it "deep".
Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitan View Post
Deep in what sense? I think that's more a function of fields in recent memory being such low standard than anything else. In terms of Beyer figs, this anticipated field is not dissimilar to that of last year, which has been denounced as a weak crop. Some of these may turn out to be great in the future without having a chance to win the Derby, e.g. Materiality, if that's what you mean? There's a few of the more favoured runners that I would be very surprised to see win.

I can only see five of the horses with any points whatsoever having any chance of winning, but only really like one, maybe two out of that five. There's two more extreme longshots that can potentially join that list of five if they have positive showings that fit my criteria at Oaklawn this weekend. Subjectively, liking one or two of twenty to win doesn't make it "deep".
I'm beginning to wonder if you are PG1985 with a better vocabulary.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Gulfstream Park

I'm not exactly sure who that member is (no offense to PG1985) but at least you didn't call me RockHardTen so I guess that must be a compliment.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
No there haven't been. He is way too slow to have ever been one of the first three choices. Plus, there is absolutely nothing sexy about him whatsoever.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
No there haven't been. He is way too slow to have ever been one of the first three choices. Plus, there is absolutely nothing sexy about him whatsoever.
Wasn't Friesan Fire the post time favorite in his race? Do you really think International Star looks that much worse than FF did coming out of Louisiana?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Wasn't Friesan Fire the post time favorite in his race? Do you really think International Star looks that much worse than FF did coming out of Louisiana?
I think his point may be that the Cali shippers are going to be overbet based on their West Coast form vs. how IS got here, which, granted, the LA route has been the thinnest of them to date.

I like horses that aren't overtaxed in their last prep (the Upstart love is great - keep it up) and saw how easily IS managed the LA Derby field first hand. Will be very interested in how Far Right responds over fast dirt tomorrow, and hesitant to dismiss anyone based on "being way too slow" in preps where they weren't really stretched.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
I think his point may be that the Cali shippers are going to be overbet based on their West Coast form vs. how IS got here, which, granted, the LA route has been the thinnest of them to date.

I like horses that aren't overtaxed in their last prep (the Upstart love is great - keep it up) and saw how easily IS managed the LA Derby field first hand. Will be very interested in how Far Right responds over fast dirt tomorrow, and hesitant to dismiss anyone based on "being way too slow" in preps where they weren't really stretched.
Wasn't Mena bordering a PETA onslaught from his 20+ whips (correct me if I'm wrong on that number) in the stretch?