Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Bowie

Default The Barbaro Thread.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=37258
Old 01-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Keeneland

That doesn't sound very good to me...

My fingers are crossed. It sounds to me like he wants to live and I hope he gets the chance to do that.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
That doesn't sound very good to me...

My fingers are crossed. It sounds to me like he wants to live and I hope he gets the chance to do that.
i think it sounded ok--was a planned procedure. just like they are planning another in two weeks. they are being proactive on all this.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Idlewild Airport

The latest article doesn't sound good at all.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=37294
Old 01-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Bowie

Just weeks ago it looked like he was gonna pull through......now things aren't looking good!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Steve Byk

Default Barbaro Update: Right Hind

Work done on the right hind, the original injury.. Not good..
Old 01-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Oriental Park

Not good, but not hopeless.

Hes really never been a favorite to survive this, even when he was doing "GOOD"
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

how many times can you put a horse under gen anesthesia..and not do brain damage..
Old 01-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Update 1393: An update from New Bolton: Update from Dr. Dean W. Richardson on Barbaro's condition:

On Saturday, January 27, Barbaro was taken back to surgery because we could not keep him comfortable on his right hind foot. That foot developed a deep subsolar abscess secondary to bruising when he went through a period of discomfort on the left hind foot. It is not laminitis but the undermining of the sole and part of the lateral heel region are potentially just as serious. We attempted to manage the right hind foot in a cast and then in a custom fabricated brace but it was impossible to have access to the foot for treatment as well as acceptable stability and comfort. We elected to place his right hind in an external skeletal fixation device in order to provide the foot a chance to heal. This means that two steel pins have been placed transversely through his right hind cannon bone. These pins are connected to external sidebars that in turn are connected to a lightweight alloy foot plate. This results in the horse eliminating all weight bearing from the foot; the horse's weight is borne through the pins across his cannon bone. There is significant risk in this approach but we believed it was our only option given the worsening of the right hind foot problem. The major risk of the external skeletal fixation device is that the bone bearing the weight can fracture. Unfortunately, we felt we needed to take this risk because this approach offered our only hope of keeping Barbaro acceptably comfortable.

He had a perfect recovery from anesthesia and has been in and out of the sling since then. His left hind foot appears to be stable at this time. We remain concerned about both front feet. Remarkably, his attitude and appetite were excellent overnight.

We will continue to treat Barbaro aggressively as long as he remains bright, alert and eating. This is another significant setback that exemplifies how complex his medical situation remains because both hind limbs have major problems. Barbaro remains in the Intensive Care Unit of Penn's George D. Widener Hospital at New Bolton Center. Updates will be provided when new information is available.
http://www.timwoolleyracing.com/news...pdates_180.php

This is sounding a lot more serious. I hope it will help.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:10 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Farm
http://www.timwoolleyracing.com/news...pdates_180.php

This is sounding a lot more serious. I hope it will help.
to me that sounds really bad...the fact that putting pins in the legs was seen as the only option is not a good thing...I've already said my piece on Barbaro but i hope that at some point they will reconsider this all out treatment approach and let the horse go.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
to me that sounds really bad...the fact that putting pins in the legs was seen as the only option is not a good thing...I've already said my piece on Barbaro but i hope that at some point they will reconsider this all out treatment approach and let the horse go.
I think they are coming to that sentiment based on quotes from this surgery.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Sunshine Park

Default Barbaro

I was just watching ESPN news and they said barbaro isnt placing any weight on the leg that he shaddered in the Preakness...he had to pins put in his leg yesterday during surgery...anyone hear anythign about it?

http://drf.com/news/article/82196.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...ory?id=2746149
Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Monmouth Park

The one thing that sticks out is the quote by Mrs. Jackson saying that he doesn't have one single thing that is enough to put him down but all of the issues in combination are really bad. She did go on to say that Dr. Richardson warned them about having times like this. But and I hate trying to read into someone's emotion in print, but to me it appears they are coming to a decision point on when he has had enough. Really tough to imagine.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Yeah but when is enough enough? I mean the poor guy has had more operations than you can count on one hand already. Limping around getting poked on all day long. Yeah look at him three years from now still getting around all limping and body sore the rest of his life. But hey he's still alive in his 10-12 stall. He's happy and he's eating they'll still say.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i think it's over. i really think this is the last thing they attempt.
i hate to sound fatalistic-but i don't see this horse being with us more than a day or two longer at the most. no weight on one leg means too much on the other and it can't handle it.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Monmouth Park

Unfortunatley, I think this may be the end of the road for Barbaro. I pray otherwise and hope I am wrong, but it just seems like too much now. From the Dean Richardson update, and Jeanne Edwards describing Michael Matz as "sullen", it just sounds like this may be their last, best stand.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Bowie

Default Barbaro's Latest Setback forced risky surgery

Things don't seem to be going well to me. Just one thing after another.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
top predator.

Okay Everyone...this will be the Official Barbaro thread from here on out...I assume there will be daily updates and stories...please add them here without starting new threads about him every time a new one breaks. Thank you, B
Old 01-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Aqueduct

I really dont know what to say here guys.....im just worn out emotionally with personal things in my life right now and this would be just another hit too me. I dont know who ive done wrong to have such a bad 2.5 years but i wish i could find out and make things right. Im starting to wonder if this is doing right by the horse i guess they say that he has a good attitude and is a fighter i'll just keep my fingers crossed and pray
Old 01-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent George
I don't understand posts like this. Millions of people are concerned and have been keeping "a watch" on Barbaro. The news doesn't sound good, thats for certain; but to make a joke out of it reaches beyond the pale. If you don't care--that's fine....got a suggestion---------DON'T READ THE UPDATES; there's plenty of other stuff here to read...and comment on.

I think he is just saying how ridiculous it is every single minute there is talk about this horse. Hey..I hope he comes out of this whole thing in good shape...but the coverage and what some people are saying about this whole situation is beyond ridiculous...on TVG a minute ago they said people were quoting the bible when talking about Barbaro....how he is a symbol of what is good in the world......puleeeeeeeeeze...he was an excellent horse who very unfortuenatly got hurt....people are saying they have never seen an attempt or recovery like this...why?...because 99 percent of horse owners don't want to put a horse through all of this....can you imagine all the drugs this horse has had in him? I am a huge fan of the sport and have been for a long time...but this whole sitaution is getting to be a bit much