Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Steve Byk

Default 7/30 (MTH): Haskell (G1), Matchmaker, MTH Cup, Pitcher (G3's)

Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Steve Byk

Old 07-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Tough little compact group in the Haskell! Should be a great race to watch and wager on!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 07-28-2017, 09:02 PM
The Curragh

Love Sharp Azteca the horse. Definitely going against Sharp Azteca at two turns tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Les Bois

The picnic area at Monmouth today was an abomination. That was the biggest collection of drunks and slobs I've ever seen. By slobs I mean the drunk the kids that can't even be bothered to throw their bottles or cans away. Piles of trash all over. My sons 11 year old son came along for his first trip to the races today and had a wasted kid fall into him while he was sitting in a chair. Couldn't take it anymore and bailed after the 9th race. Good job today Monmouth Park.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Oriental Park

Maybe its my distrust of the 3yo'ds but I am taking a small shot this race falls apart and hence picks up a check.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Oriental Park

dang, right idea, wrong horse
Old 07-30-2017, 05:35 PM
The Curragh

Are both Girvin and Irap one Travers win away from cinching up divisional honors?
Old 07-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Are both Girvin and Irap one Travers win away from cinching up divisional honors?
It's the rubber match that's been brewing since Irap was 18th to Girvin's 13th in the Kentucky Derby.

If they hook up at Saratoga the way they did at Thistledown Racino it will be like Forty Niner and Seeking The Gold nearly 30 years ago.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:48 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
It's the rubber match that's been brewing since Irap was 18th to Girvin's 13th in the Kentucky Derby.

If they hook up at Saratoga the way they did at Thistledown Racino it will be like Forty Niner and Seeking The Gold nearly 30 years ago.
as long as i got my money on the right one, i am fine.

Seems like West Coast is going to be the favorite, and I have some doubts about him as well.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Seems like West Coast is going to be the favorite, and I have some doubts about him as well.
He looked dead on the turn at Los Alamitos and runner-up Klimt is opting for the cutback in the Allen Jerkens. Show horse B Squared has the look of a one-turn type, too. Perhaps West Coast's resurgence in the stretch was more of an illusion than it appears.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
He looked dead on the turn at Los Alamitos and runner-up Klimt is opting for the cutback in the Allen Jerkens. Show horse B Squared has the look of a one-turn type, too. Perhaps West Coast's resurgence in the stretch was more of an illusion than it appears.
Yea, I agree...and I think the connections have concerns he may be better at a bit shorter distances.

But his record and connections are such he is going to take a lot of money which is what I meant by the statement.

I suppose I would give McCraken another shot as I prefer the horses who can make the first move rather than the ones who benefited.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:48 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I suppose I would give McCraken another shot as I prefer the horses who can make the first move rather than the ones who benefited.
Agreed on West Coast.

As for McCraken, he's starting to look like another one of those big middle move types that hang in the stretch (this is the main criticism of Practical Joke as well). He did it at Keeneland and he did it in the Derby, too.

The way things are going for the 3yos, they should all cut back in the Allen Jerkens and point for no more than the BC Dirt Mile. It's either that or lessen the Travers to 9f.

I wonder if we won't also see a bunch of turf horses in the Travers ala VE Day after Good Samaritan's run yesterday. Oscar Performance, Bricks and Mortar, Big Handsome? Even Thunder Snow might fit in with these for another shot on the dirt...Godolphin has a couple of other 3yos that are doing well enough in the big European races to spread the wealth.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:

Speaking of West Coast,his owner had a good weekend.
Gary West took down the Gold Coast Summer Classic handicapping tournament in Las Vegas.
The man knows his horses.....