Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Oaklawn

Default The Tin Man

A 8 yo Bad boy today.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Hialeah Park

Slow first half...man did he have a choppy stride on the backstretch.
Stole the show when asked.
Good for him. Not a pretty run...but effective.
Del Mar

I thought he was not only the best horse in the race but he looked like the only speed in the race. I thought he should have been the favorite.
Hollywood Park

Default Pace

Pace Makes The Race
Was It Any More True Than Today....

Go Old Boy Go
Old 08-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
Pace Makes The Race
Was It Any More True Than Today....

Go Old Boy Go
Yes when you saw the first half in 50- you knew that he had a big chance. Give him credit for the win because some of those horses have a good turn of foot and Nobody made much ground on him in the lane.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Flemington

You mean a horse from the minor leagues(per Oracle) of SOCAL takes the Arlington Million?
Old 08-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Saratoga

Nice, nice win. Good for the old guy...

Clearly the best today.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Dee Tee Stables

that was fun cheering on the old guy, showed his rump to some classy horses today...
Old 08-12-2006, 05:44 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
I thought he was not only the best horse in the race but he looked like the only speed in the race. I thought he should have been the favorite.
I had him at 7-1 in the fair line I posted here. But I didn't give him enough credit for the lack of pace in the race. (Easy to say in retrospect). I was able to bet him anyway, because I actually got 9-1 and 10-1 on two bets at Tradesports.com. Whoever was offering those odds must have believed the ML. I also had him in the matchup vs Better Talk Now at Pinny.

--Dunbar
Old 08-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Santa Anita

the son of Affirmed ran like his old man.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I had him at 7-1 in the fair line I posted here. But I didn't give him enough credit for the lack of pace in the race. (Easy to say in retrospect). I was able to bet him anyway, because I actually got 9-1 and 10-1 on two bets at Tradesports.com. Whoever was offering those odds must have believed the ML. I also had him in the matchup vs Better Talk Now at Pinny.

--Dunbar
Wow, you got a great price. Shopping around really paid off for you.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Slow first half...man did he have a choppy stride on the backstretch.
Stole the show when asked.
Good for him. Not a pretty run...but effective.
How could you see his stride going down the backstretch? I couldn't see his stride going down the backstretch but I could see it when they passed the stands the first time and I could see it when he came down the stetch the final time. He was moving great. I highly doubt that he wasn't moving well going down the backstretch.

He doesn't have a really strong stride but he has a great way of moving. There is nothing choppy about his stride.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
How could you see his stride going down the backstretch? I couldn't see his stride going down the backstretch but I could see it when they passed the stands the first time and I could see it when he came down the stetch the final time. He was moving great. I highly doubt that he wasn't moving well going down the backstretch.

He doesn't have a really strong stride but he has a great way of moving. There is nothing choppy about his stride.
Well I have to give a lot of credit to the horse and connections for winning this race. I think he wasn't given enough credit by Frankel/Prado and Pletcher/Velazquez before the race. Edgar was quite content to sit open lengths off him in that crawling time and didn't even get after his mount on the turn, he thought he had it made. They ran the last 1/4 in 22:3 so you could forget about anyone closing into that pace and winning. I still don't know if Cacique is better than English Channel or vice versa. English was rank early and Johnny was determined to wrangle him back. He ran wide and finished evenly. Guess we get yet another rematch of those two in the Turf Classic.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Well I have to give a lot of credit to the horse and connections for winning this race. I think he wasn't given enough credit by Frankel/Prado and Pletcher/Velazquez before the race. Edgar was quite content to sit open lengths off him in that crawling time and didn't even get after his mount on the turn, he thought he had it made. They ran the last 1/4 in 22:3 so you could forget about anyone closing into that pace and winning. I still don't know if Cacique is better than English Channel or vice versa. English was rank early and Johnny was determined to wrangle him back. He ran wide and finished evenly. Guess we get yet another rematch of those two in the Turf Classic.
Not only was nobody going to catch him, nobody was even going to gain on him. He's the only horse in there that could run his last quarter in :22 3/5 on that turf course. That's why he was actually drawing away.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:16 PM
pgardn

This is exactly why I like the Tin Man types. You rest on your arse (50 sec at 4 f????) and you get beat. He will not allow what appears to be a huge rush at the end if let loose on soft fractions.

These are not European fairways, these are American courses with turns. And some of the Euros experience a great deal of difficulty with turns as it takes a tremendous amount of energy out of a horse because a horse ACCELERATES (a change in speed, direction or both) on turns... yes thats right, it requires more energy to constantly change directions on turns than it takes running straight ahead. I think this is vastly overlooked. ANd I think it is why some of Europes best do not come here. They are at a big disadvantage. Yes they go up and they go down but the majority of those courses are very gentle turns. ON some US turf courses up to 40% of the time spent racing is turning on a very small effective radius compared to Euro courses... and that is very, very hard on a horse.

The Euros that come over here and whup our butts should be given the highest reguard as they really have shown incredible athletic ability winning on such diff type courses. Also turning in a diff. direction, which has been discussed many times.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i found it interesting the comment about euro success in the million...7 of 23 winners before today. so now it means 7 of 24...less than a third. is that what people consider euro domination?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:31 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
i found it interesting the comment about euro success in the million...7 of 23 winners before today. so now it means 7 of 24...less than a third. is that what people consider euro domination?
True Z. But how much of the Million field do they make up? Today there where a good number of Euros. I guess because they sent the 2nd and third teams. I do not have the numbers. I would be interested to know sense the inception of the Million what % of the runners have been Euro. Also, it is only a million dollars. That used to be a big deal, but not as much anymore. They can stay at home or concentrate a bigger Asian or Dubai purses.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Sheepshead Bay

I kinda have Oras idea. Did everyone think that the TIN MAN was BTNs rabbit? Noone showed any respect at all let him get away with a lead in1:15 and the race was over. Surely someone could recognize the slow pace and that this wasnt "cheap" speed in the lead. GREAT job by the old man. Some very questionable deciisions out on the course. Maybe the jockeys just had a ticket to ride and let the horse be the brains.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:23 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops757
I kinda have Oras idea. Did everyone think that the TIN MAN was BTNs rabbit? Noone showed any respect at all let him get away with a lead in1:15 and the race was over. Surely someone could recognize the slow pace and that this wasnt "cheap" speed in the lead. GREAT job by the old man. Some very questionable deciisions out on the course. Maybe the jockeys just had a ticket to ride and let the horse be the brains.
Pops it was extremely arrogant of Prado/Frankel and Johnny V/Pletcher to took the tactics they took. Trust me, both of those jocks do their pre race homework as do the trainers they ride for. Johhny, Edgar, Todd, and Frankel are very astute at asessing a race beforehand and handicapping how it should flow.
Prado treated that horse(The Tin Man) like he was a reformed cheap claimer that he could reel in at any time. 1:15? Are you kidding me? I don't want to knock the Tin Man in any way, shape, or form. Hes a gutsy warrior!!! But I'm not so sure that if Edgar or Johnny don't at least stay lapped onto him that they don't run him down. They got what they deserved. They treated a talented old game horse like a horse they could just take at any time, and they paid for it!!! Kudos to Honu, a board member here who I believe is the Tin man's exercise rider on a job done extremely well!!! Without her morning work on this horse there wouldn't be such success in the afternoon!!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
True Z. But how much of the Million field do they make up? Today there where a good number of Euros. I guess because they sent the 2nd and third teams. I do not have the numbers. I would be interested to know sense the inception of the Million what % of the runners have been Euro. Also, it is only a million dollars. That used to be a big deal, but not as much anymore. They can stay at home or concentrate a bigger Asian or Dubai purses.
like i've said before here and elsewhere (and was gratified to hear it from one of the announcers today) that many of the euros who come over are looking for a firm turf course(they may not be bad or lesser, just can't find their ground), one that isn't often found in their own backyard. or maybe some are looking to beat up on the 'lesser' u.s. horses. take sulamani for instance a few years ago. it's not his best distance, but the connections felt he was so superior to our horses that he'd win anyway. whoops! yeah, the million has slipped in recent years regarding purse money, but it's still a good stepping stone for euros looking to make a mark here, or prep for the bc race (why not ship now and get them a couple u.s. races under their belt, and get used to the lasix they grab as soon as they clear customs, so much for euro snobbery about our drugged horses). also, by this time of year, they must be pretty clear what horses over there suit the racing there, and which don't. some come here and find glory, some don't. but i don't think the gap between our turfers and theirs is so great as what was once felt...seems there is a greater appreciation here these days for turf horses, and maybe not as many are being snapped up at auction to go overseas, they're staying here now.