Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Sam Houston

Default Tampa Bay Derby

Im not sure if anyone else saw this but it was a pretty cool stretch battle...
Old 03-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Gulfstream Park

yes it was, im a little worried that this might take too much out of street sense, maybe thats just me, also what does everyone think of this guy now, and how good is he ?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Default It was an.....

Amazing stretch duel! That race is what this great game is all about. Both Street Sense, and Any Given Saturday just threw down, it was a great race.
I guess Carl Natzger knew what he was doing after all, Street Sense looked great off the layoff since the BC.
Arlington Park

great stretch run ! shot through on the rail just like the BC. street sense has guts !
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

I dont know about yall but I thought it was a great Prep. Street Sense,, I dont even want to say it but, Wow! I dont want to be one that just goes crazy after one race but put it together with his BC trounce, off the layoff, agianst a very nice horse who is dead fit...... Wow. I dont know folks, the BC/KY.Drerby curse might be a goner this year.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:16 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTGIVEN1985
yes it was, im a little worried that this might take too much out of street sense, maybe thats just me, also what does everyone think of this guy now, and how good is he ?

PG...I wouldn't worry about taking too much out of him...he pretty much loped along for the first 3/4 of the race....made a nice move turning for home...rail opened up perfectly...and was asked in the stretch. I do think he moves forward off this race.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
PG...I wouldn't worry about taking too much out of him...he pretty much loped along for the first 3/4 of the race....made a nice move turning for home...rail opened up perfectly...and was asked in the stretch. I do think he moves forward off this race.
i just watched the replay and i agree, this guy is amazing he might be the next big thing in horse racing, he had every reasson to lose today and he still dug in and won im impressed.
Sunshine Park

Another ground saving trip for Street Sense but still a very gutsy performance in the stretch for his first prep of the year. We will have to see how he comes out of the race, but it may be tough to get in another start for SS if this race took alot out of him. Nafger may now question starting SS this close to the derby, but only time will tell.
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Default I agree GPK....

It appeared to me he was doing it easy, and just moved when he had to, and when asked down the stretch show the guts of a BC champ!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Exactly, he was asked for absolutely nothing until the stretch.
This race should tighten him up.

I have to say that I didn't think AGS could hang with him, but he showed me something losing by only a nose, actually coming back at the end.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:20 PM
jdm

both horses galloped out tired in my opinion, race might take a toll. Track record was announced. Very nice duel by two nice animals... not really sure why JV was content to 3 wide both turns. If this horse is going to have any chance in the Derby he MUST learn to have a horse on his outside. Good race by Saturday, however he has just gone off my Derby radar and I have a future on him.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:28 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Exactly, he was asked for absolutely nothing until the stretch.
This race should tighten him up.

I have to say that I didn't think AGS could hang with him, but he showed me something losing by only a nose, actually coming back at the end.
I didn't see it as "coming back". He was relentlessly coming at Street Sense and oh so slowly closing the gap. An excellent performance by both horses, considering (1) the layoff by SS and (2) the fact that AGS ran a couple extra lengths in the 3 path. The 3rd place horse impressed me, too. He had the outside post, and the head-on shows him veering WAY out into the middle of the track at the start. I think he lost by about 5 lengths, which isn't much considering that start.

--Dunbar
Old 03-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I didn't see it as "coming back". He was relentlessly coming at Street Sense and oh so slowly closing the gap. An excellent performance by both horses, considering (1) the layoff by SS and (2) the fact that AGS ran a couple extra lengths in the 3 path. The 3rd place horse impressed me, too. He had the outside post, and the head-on shows him veering WAY out into the middle of the track at the start. I think he lost by about 5 lengths, which isn't much considering that start.

--Dunbar
Yeah the seven was nice for me. I keyed him in third for the super and it worked out perfectly.

He really darted out at the start.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Oaklawn

I think overlooked a bit is that Street Sense was tired early in the stretch, I think he's guts and class carried him the rest of the way. Perfect set-up race because we all know he was not 100% cranked. AGS ran well too. Great race!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Oriental Park

Street Sense should have lost that race, he got tired, but hes got a little grit to him. What a perfect race for Nafzger, Borel, and Street Sense. You couldnt ask for a better stepping stone. Any Given Saturday should have won, If they ran back in three weeks Street Sense would beat him in hand.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
Street Sense should have lost that race, he got tired, but hes got a little grit to him. What a perfect race for Nafzger, Borel, and Street Sense. You couldnt ask for a better stepping stone. Any Given Saturday should have won, If they ran back in three weeks Street Sense would beat him in hand.
Great race by both. I think Johnny was surprised to see Street Sense sneak through the rail as they were coming around the far turn. Perfectly timed ride by Borel, but would have been dead in the water if the rail didn't open up. Still, gutsy move and it worked wonderfully.
I assume both will meet again in the Bluegrass, which should be fun, despite being on polytrack.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Oriental Park

Today was the only chance Any Given Saturday had to beat that horse.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush
Great race by both. I think Johnny was surprised to see Street Sense sneak through the rail as they were coming around the far turn. Perfectly timed ride by Borel, but would have been dead in the water if the rail didn't open up. Still, gutsy move and it worked wonderfully.
I assume both will meet again in the Bluegrass, which should be fun, despite being on polytrack.
I agree, better hope the rail is clear on derby day, it's worked twice, third times a charm. Nice race 1st back, great duel.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Santa Anita

I think they both looked very nice. But is a little scary. I remember Read the Footnotes...
Old 03-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
I think they both looked very nice. But is a little scary. I remember Read the Footnotes...
i have a little feeling that it wont be the case as rtfootnotes. like others have said, the grueling part of the race was only the last furlong. it was a good race to get SS in shape! anyways, a real champ would be able to rebound.