Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Oaklawn

Default U.S Intelligence a real oxymorn w/ this Nigerian

Officials said he came to the attention of U.S. intelligence last month when his father, Alhaji Umar Mutallab, a prominent Nigerian banker, reported to the American Embassy in Nigeria about his son's increasingly extremist religious views.

It sounds like the father of the Nigerian that attempted to bomb the Detroit plane did all he could to alert local and US authorities. The list of possible terrorists(TIDE) has 550,000 names on it at various levels, so I can get past that, I bet a lot of those 550,000 get on planes.
It sounds like the US Embassy in Nigeria communicated the info to whomever was their contact. Some path of communication broke down disgustingly.They had a month to process this info from the guy's own concerned father?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

funny ob will have a news confrence and mug it up for any friggin thing
but cant be disturbed for something of national importance..

Last edited by hoovesupsideyourhead : 12-28-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Coach Pants

derka derka.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Gulfstream Park

mohammad jihad!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Randwyck

janet napolitano, what a joke............
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Coach Pants

Her ancestors created the ice cream flavor.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:20 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Her ancestors created the ice cream flavor.
That is not a flavor. It's a 3-flavor combo. I am owned by that stuff.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Officials said he came to the attention of U.S. intelligence last month when his father, Alhaji Umar Mutallab, a prominent Nigerian banker, reported to the American Embassy in Nigeria about his son's increasingly extremist religious views.

It sounds like the father of the Nigerian that attempted to bomb the Detroit plane did all he could to alert local and US authorities. The list of possible terrorists(TIDE) has 550,000 names on it at various levels, so I can get past that, I bet a lot of those 550,000 get on planes.
It sounds like the US Embassy in Nigeria communicated the info to whomever was their contact. Some path of communication broke down disgustingly.They had a month to process this info from the guy's own concerned father?

maybe it was bush's fault as well ??
Old 12-31-2009, 07:40 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
maybe it was bush's fault as well ??
It was the fault of two groups. 1) The people who didn't at least re-look at his VISA and 2) The airport security who let him through
Old 12-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
It was the fault of two groups. 1) The people who didn't at least re-look at his VISA and 2) The airport security who let him through

in Nigeria or Amsterdam?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Dee Tee Stables

they need to start using those full body scanners-i understand some might not relish the thought of being 'exposed' like that, but the use of scanners isn't for salacious purposes. it would reveal devices such as the one the guy was wearing-that is the more important thing, not whether someone can make out your private parts!
napolitano's repeated comment that 'the system worked' is absolute hogwash.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
in Nigeria or Amsterdam?
European Security is good at airports, but if we are serious about flights coming into the US, we should have US Security checking all US Bound International flights. Would we let Amsterdam officials screen an O'Hare to Laguardia flight? Then why is it OK for them to screen a Detroit bound flight?

It would not be cheap and logistically very difficult, but if we want ownership of who and what is on these Intl US Bound flights, then we should do our own screening.

Now...this isn't meant as an endorsement of US TSA agents by any means...they are troublesome enough as it is, but it's about the principal.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
European Security is good at airports, but if we are serious about flights coming into the US, we should have US Security checking all US Bound International flights. Would we let Amsterdam officials screen an O'Hare to Laguardia flight? Then why is it OK for them to screen a Detroit bound flight?

It would not be cheap and logistically very difficult, but if we want ownership of who and what is on these Intl US Bound flights, then we should do our own screening.

Now...this isn't meant as an endorsement of US TSA agents by any means...they are troublesome enough as it is, but it's about the principal.
perfectly put..happy new year..
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Coach Pants

The Obama Administration failed. He's more worried about being on camera rather than making sure the lines of communication between agencies are open.

You can't blame this one on Bush.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Keeneland

This clearly involves the failure of eight years and billions of dollars of "security procedures in place". Bush had responsibility for seven of those years, starting with 9/11. And when was the previous shoe bomber? Obama only had the past year.

Blaming only "the Obama administration" for this is ridiculous. Plenty of intra- and inter-agency failure to go around.

Our airport security system should have been humming along smoothly years ago. Instead it's been fraught with problems since inception.

Bush had four TSA heads in seven years. Obama has had a TSA head nominated for months, whose appointment one Republican has been blocking due to fear of unionization of workers. GOP politics screwing with our safety.

As an aside, Bush prosecuted terrorists in federal court, now Cheney is doing the political hack job on Obama for doing exactly the same. Hypocrites. Bush didn't speak about the shoe bomber for a week, the GOP is bitchin' Obama didn't say anything for three days. Hypocrites. Cheney is talking about "war on terrorists" and Obama doesn't want to publically declare war, and give these pathetic losers the publicity and disruption of America and instillation of fear they crave. The GOP is a clown car show as far as "national security" and "terrorism" goes. Obama has gotten more terrorists in the past 12 months than Bush did in five years.

What we need is Israeli-style airport security. This guy fit the profile of a terrorist bomber to a tee, and it had nothing at all to do with his color, his name, or his father's clear warning: two-week trip, but only one small carry-on. One way ticket, paid for in cash.

They should have caught him before the gate. And they didn't need x-ray screening machines to do it.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I read an editorial that suggested that the majority of TSA employees be sent off to bag groceries, as befits their abilities; and that a slew of higher-IQ but currently unemployed college graduates be hired to take their places.

I thought it made a point.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
I read an editorial that suggested that the majority of TSA employees be sent off to bag groceries, as befits their abilities; and that a slew of higher-IQ but currently unemployed college graduates be hired to take their places.

I thought it made a point.
TSA screeners make about 8.50 an hr........not exactly crimestoppers!
Regarding your continued slamming of Bush on everything.....reminds me of that Nego college Fund slogan...a mind is a terrible thing to waste!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
TSA screeners make about 8.50 an hr........not exactly crimestoppers!
Regarding your continued slamming of Bush on everything.....reminds me of that Nego college Fund slogan...a mind is a terrible thing to waste!
You might notice that I don't actually, "continually slam Bush on everything" Just the stuff he deserves, and especially when what that administration did is ignored, and the current one blamed.

Tell me, do you think there's any continued Obama-bashing on this board?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM

my first iggy on the list..riot..
Old 12-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
my first iggy on the list..riot..
I could only be so lucky