Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Saratoga

Default Royal Ascot!

Seven left in the final declaration stage for the Prince of Wales (Wednesday) , with the decision to run Ouija Board after some debate..... it's a great field - I only wish Pride had been left in...

Ace (whew..... blinkers on)
Ouija Board
Electrocutionist
David Junior
Manduro
Corre Caminos
Notnowcato

Field for the Queen Anne...

Proclamation
Peeress
Court Masterpiece
Ad Valorem
Belenus (pace setter for Proclamation)
Kandidate
Akimbo
Vortex

Home Affairs was withdrawn this morning..... an undisclosed injury.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Santa Anita

yeah, cant wait, Im heading over there tomorrow morning to witness the opening of the brand new Ascot. Should be brilliant. its a truly superb five days of quality racing and big field handicaps to mull over. Furthermore, he Royal family add a certain air of history and tradition to it.

I havent had a a great look at the fields but heres my initial take on the races
2.35 G2 Coventry 6f 2yos

I love this race as it can be the spring board to an exciting career. Three Valleys absolutely killed his field while Landseer upset the odds in 2001 with better fancied stable mate Rock Of Gibraltar in 6th I believe,
This year I like Hellvelyn whose by Ishiguru. He's one of the best juveniles that Ive seen. Obviously Sadeek by Kyallchy and Holy Roman Emperor (Danehill) will be big dangers

3.10 G2 King's Stand 5f 3yo+

This is a cracking race with all the usual european sprinters and three aussie speedsters thrown into the mix.

Takeover Target is probably the best and most consistent aussie horse, but I like Falkirk with Johnny Murtagh on board. Of the english, Ashdown Express will run well at a huge price. Moss Vale is a sprinter in great form and La Cucaracha won one of the best sprints in europe last year and she escapes a penalty for that win. She does make her seasonal debut here though.

3.50 G1 St James's Palace 1m 3yo

This usually goes to the horse with the best form in the race (i.e no upsets). That title this year goes to Araafa who reversed form with George Washington(now injured) on bottomless ground in ireland. On quick ground I'd be willing to play against him with either of O'Briens pair of Ivan Denisovich (first choice with Fallon aboard) and Marcus Andronicus (Murtagh on board, better form than Ivan). Also watch out for Aeroplane run a big race at decent odds. he should love the ground.

4.25 G1 St Annes Stakes 1m 4yo+

Another top class race with four G1 winners in the field of 9. Put simply Proclamation shoukd hose up if 90% fit or better. He hasnt run since a disapointing 11th over 6f last september, but his sussex stakes win was the best form on offer. If Kandidate can get his head right, he can follow him home ahead of Peeress.

4.55 Ascot Stakes (Handicap) 2m4f 4yo+

Easy race to handicap, two and a half miles on the flat with just 29 runners. ill go with Top The Charts to beat Shamayoun.

5.20 Listed Windsor Castle Stakes 5f 2yo

A race for 2yos possibly not good enough to beat the next superstars in the Coventry Stakes but to get a nice prize early on in their career. Esparanto is the best of these that ive seen..

Anyway, good luck betting tomorrow in it if you can, Im gonna enjoy the day out at the new Ascot!

#Grand
Old 06-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Arlington Park

Brock,
Wish I was there.

I AM going to Southern Spain in the early fall and want to get some info on racing there. I understand there's a couple places where they race on the beach ... Sanlucar and one or two others.

Do you know of a website that might be useful? We'll be staying in Seville.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Brock,
Wish I was there.

I AM going to Southern Spain in the early fall and want to get some info on racing there. I understand there's a couple places where they race on the beach ... Sanlucar and one or two others.

Do you know of a website that might be useful? We'll be staying in Seville.

Thanks!

Spain wouldnt be the best racing around. I wouldnt know much to be honest. Im trying to think of a website for ya, but google may be your best option! I just cant think at the mo, sorry!

#Grand
Old 06-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
yeah, cant wait, Im heading over there tomorrow morning to witness the opening of the brand new Ascot. Should be brilliant. its a truly superb five days of quality racing and big field handicaps to mull over. Furthermore, he Royal family add a certain air of history and tradition to it.

I havent had a a great look at the fields but heres my initial take on the races
2.35 G2 Coventry 6f 2yos

I love this race as it can be the spring board to an exciting career. Three Valleys absolutely killed his field while Landseer upset the odds in 2001 with better fancied stable mate Rock Of Gibraltar in 6th I believe,
This year I like Hellvelyn whose by Ishiguru. He's one of the best juveniles that Ive seen. Obviously Sadeek by Kyallchy and Holy Roman Emperor (Danehill) will be big dangers

3.10 G2 King's Stand 5f 3yo+

This is a cracking race with all the usual european sprinters and three aussie speedsters thrown into the mix.

Takeover Target is probably the best and most consistent aussie horse, but I like Falkirk with Johnny Murtagh on board. Of the english, Ashdown Express will run well at a huge price. Moss Vale is a sprinter in great form and La Cucaracha won one of the best sprints in europe last year and she escapes a penalty for that win. She does make her seasonal debut here though.

3.50 G1 St James's Palace 1m 3yo

This usually goes to the horse with the best form in the race (i.e no upsets). That title this year goes to Araafa who reversed form with George Washington(now injured) on bottomless ground in ireland. On quick ground I'd be willing to play against him with either of O'Briens pair of Ivan Denisovich (first choice with Fallon aboard) and Marcus Andronicus (Murtagh on board, better form than Ivan). Also watch out for Aeroplane run a big race at decent odds. he should love the ground.

4.25 G1 St Annes Stakes 1m 4yo+

Another top class race with four G1 winners in the field of 9. Put simply Proclamation shoukd hose up if 90% fit or better. He hasnt run since a disapointing 11th over 6f last september, but his sussex stakes win was the best form on offer. If Kandidate can get his head right, he can follow him home ahead of Peeress.

4.55 Ascot Stakes (Handicap) 2m4f 4yo+

Easy race to handicap, two and a half miles on the flat with just 29 runners. ill go with Top The Charts to beat Shamayoun.

5.20 Listed Windsor Castle Stakes 5f 2yo

A race for 2yos possibly not good enough to beat the next superstars in the Coventry Stakes but to get a nice prize early on in their career. Esparanto is the best of these that ive seen..

Anyway, good luck betting tomorrow in it if you can, Im gonna enjoy the day out at the new Ascot!
Wish I were going..... have a great time!

Look out for Peeress..... it might be a mistake to leave her out.

Love Araafa too (and can't wait for George to come back) but i think Ivan looks awfully good here.

Kandidate..... i don't know much about him. Care to share?

Proclamation..... I only just recently realized that was her rabbit entered. Remember that race with Dubawi and Blatant where Blatant accidently came in third? God that was great! I love that horse.....

Iffraaj..... I still think he'll pull it off but gotta root for TT too. Such a great story!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Santa Anita

I agree with you Missy. Peeress is very much underrated over here (prob due to her lucky G1 win last year) but she beat the boys in the Lockinge last time fair and square and if she beats Proclamation, she'll have to be one the best milers around. I just believe he'll have to much class for her, but with Godolphin's shaky start and stating that he is a few weeks behind schedule, I wouldnt be skipping the queue to get 5/4. Kandidate came second in last years 2000 Guineas to Footstepsinthesand on rock hard ground. He completely lost his way after that but recently showed some signs of a revival.

In the St James's Palace, Ivan has been waiting for nearly a year to get really quick ground and the fact that Fallon has chosen him over a useful yeardstick in Marcus Andronicus has to be a positive..

Yeah I remember when Frankie made a bit of a howler with Dubawi and chose the wrong path down the straight mile at Newmarket. Happened before with Summoner beating Frankie and Noverre in the same race (but at its normal home of Ascot). 2001 I believe. They all let the rabbit take a nice lead, and he stayed there. incredible!

#Grand
Old 06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Bold Brooklynite

It's always a hoot visiting race tracks when overseas ... and I try to do it whenever possible.

I've been able to visit several tracks in England ... and am always amazed by their layouts and settings.

The biggest charge was being at Epsom for the Derby in 2002 ... a terrible race won by a very good horse ... High Chaparral.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
I agree with you Missy. Peeress is very much underrated over here (prob due to her lucky G1 win last year) but she beat the boys in the Lockinge last time fair and square and if she beats Proclamation, she'll have to be one the best milers around. I just believe he'll have to much class for her, but with Godolphin's shaky start and stating that he is a few weeks behind schedule, I wouldnt be skipping the queue to get 5/4. Kandidate came second in last years 2000 Guineas to Footstepsinthesand on rock hard ground. He completely lost his way after that but recently showed some signs of a revival.

In the St James's Palace, Ivan has been waiting for nearly a year to get really quick ground and the fact that Fallon has chosen him over a useful yeardstick in Marcus Andronicus has to be a positive..

Yeah I remember when Frankie made a bit of a howler with Dubawi and chose the wrong path down the straight mile at Newmarket. Happened before with Summoner beating Frankie and Noverre in the same race (but at its normal home of Ascot). 2001 I believe. They all let the rabbit take a nice lead, and he stayed there. incredible!
Blatant certainly surprised a lot of people..... he once hit the board at 100 / 1 and, i believe, went off (and won) at about 30 / 1 the next time out.

Gotta love him.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Saratoga

A George update..... always good to hear a little good news.

O'Brien happy with Washington's progress

GEORGE WASHINGTON, who misses Royal Ascot after suffering a setback when second to Araafa in the Irish 2,000 Guineas, might be ridden out later this week for the first time since his Curragh defeat, according to trainer Aidan O'Brien.

A muscle injury above the hip was diagnosed two days after the brilliant 2,000 Guineas winner had been beaten by Araafa, who contests Tuesday’s St James's Palace Stakes, on heavy ground at The Curragh.

While it is too soon to predict a possible return to action date for George Washington, O'Brien indicated that the colt's recovery is progressing.

O'Brien said: "George Washington is coming along and is back driving. He might be ridden out towards the end of this week, so we will have to wait and see."

Regarding Ballydoyle's challenge for the Budweiser Irish Derby a week on Sunday, O'Brien added: "It is too soon to say what horses we will run in the Irish Derby, but Dylan Thomas, Mountain and Puerto Rico are all possibles at this stage."

Dylan Thomas finished a close third behind Sir Percy and Dragon Dancer in the Vodafone Derby in whichMountain finished eighth while Puerto Rico signalled that he was ready for a step up in class when landing the Group 3 Gallinule Stakes by an eased-down four lengths at The Curragh last month.

No firm plans have been decided for Alexandrova, the impressive six-length winner of the Vodafone Oaks. O'Brien said: "Obviously we will look at the Darley Irish Oaks for her, but nothing definite had been decided. We will wait and see."
Old 06-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Saratoga

brockguy...

What's the story with Notnowcato? Did he pull a Rakti or something?

I've heard he's a bit nuts..... love those types.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Saratoga

Takeover Target, Araafa win their respective races..... (Ivan 3rd).

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 06-20-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Steve Byk

Good on Takeover Taget and Janiak...

What a GREAT STORY!! Almost an Aussie version of Seek Gold...

Cabbie takes cripple to the pinnacle!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Jerome Park

Araafa jogged.

I guess a sound George Washington, with a fair pace, is VERY good.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Good on Takeover Taget and Janiak...

What a GREAT STORY!! Almost an Aussie version of Seek Gold...

Cabbie takes cripple to the pinnacle!
Great story indeed!

Did you see the interview yesterday where he was complaining about the attire? Too funny.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Saratoga

Ad Valorem wins... stewards inquiry.....

AV, Court Masterpiece, Proclamation.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Jerome Park

Weak rendition.

Court Masterpiece was unlucky.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Saratoga

The result stands..... expect an appeal.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

5th is a non wagering if i was to play id go with the 10 casual glance wheeld up in down .. in race 6 ill have a nice wager on the 9 fathom five....
Old 06-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Saratoga

The schedule for tomorrow.....

WEDNESDAY 21 st JUNE

2.35 pm The Jersey Stakes (Group 3) 3 £65,000 Seven furlongs
3.10 pm The Windsor Forest Stakes (Group 2) 4+ fillies £130,000 One mile
3.50 pm The Prince of Wales’s Stakes (Group 1) 4+ £350,000 One and a quarter miles
4.25 pm The Royal Hunt Cup (Heritage Handicap) 3+ £100,000 One mile
4.55 pm The Queen Mary Stakes (Group 2) 2 fillies £70,000 Five furlongs
5.30 pm The Sandringham Stakes (Listed) (Handicap) 3 fillies £55,000 One mile

To listen.....
http://www.willhill.com/iibs/en/stat...o%3Dd%5Fwhstu1
Old 06-21-2006, 03:48 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
It's always a hoot visiting race tracks when overseas ... and I try to do it whenever possible.

I've been able to visit several tracks in England ... and am always amazed by their layouts and settings.

The biggest charge was being at Epsom for the Derby in 2002 ... a terrible race won by a very good horse ... High Chaparral.
Bold B, that's cool about seeing High Chaparral at Epsom. I really liked that horse. I had him in his 2nd BC Turf, and sweated out that photo that took forever to decide.

My most amusing overseas track visit was a track in Peru where there was no minimum payout, and a winning horse could (and did) pay back less than the bet.

--Dunbar