Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Steve Byk

Default Denis of Cork passing Rebel; Wood next

Carroll will give him just one more start in the Wood before the Derby..
Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Hialeah Park

Not a good sign. Looks like it opens the door for Face the Cat.

At least it makes the Wood more interesting.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Jerome Park

So if he doesn't run at least third in the Wood, and possibly second, he will have deficient earnings to make the Derby?

They may need to split the Lexington this year. A lot of guys playing the conservative route may become real risk takers on April 19th.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Coach Pants

David Carroll and derby contender goes together like ketchup and corn flakes.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
So if he doesn't run at least third in the Wood, and possibly second, he will have deficient earnings to make the Derby?

They may need to split the Lexington this year. A lot of guys playing the conservative route may become real risk takers on April 19th.
I think he has 150K right now in graded earnings. . . That's usually enough. . .
Old 03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
I think he has 150K right now in graded earnings. . . That's usually enough. . .
Puts him 18th right now. I didn't check to see how many ahead of him are off the trail.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
David Carroll and derby contender goes together like ketchup and corn flakes.
Why? Don't think he learned anything under Shug and as Easy Goer's exercise rider?

Read Haskin 's piece.. Explains the decision:
http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44021
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Why? Don't think he learned anything under Shug and as Easy Goer's exercise rider?

Read Haskin 's piece.. Explains the decision:
http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44021
I just think it's an insult to Shug to suggest an exercise rider in his barn can copy what he's done in his career. If it was that easy Honu would be a HOF trainer.

I've watched Carroll's horses and his insistence on having Larry Melancon ride them and am not convinced he can compete at the highest level.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Churchill Downs

What about Tagg? He was Whitely's exercise rider at one time in his life...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Oriental Park

Hes a very nice guy but he cannot compete at the top level. You are exactly right Pillow. His horses constantly underachieve.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
What about Tagg? He was Whitely's exercise rider at one time in his life...
I think it's an insult to Tagg to compare him to Carroll.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
You're right. I didn't take into account that Carroll isn't just starting out. Tagg is one of the best.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

i hope he gets in. ive cashed on many a d c horse but not in any stakes races...
Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Oriental Park

He always seems to have the stock, and doesnt seem to get the results Hooves.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
I've admired Tagg's ability for a long time, but it is amazing how a guy no one knew beyond PA, MD and NY before 2003 is now talked about so reverentially. He had only been training 30 years before Funny Cide showed up. Now beloved as a crusty character, up to 2003 he was best known as a SOB... for a variety of good reasons.

David Carroll has been training 15 years and has been a consistant 15% winner. He's won stakes when he's had opportunities with good horses. Have to say I'm a bit mystified by animosity directed towards him.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315

I was under the impression that the Southwest was ungraded ( I also thought that was ridiculous ). If it was Graded then I definitely stand corrected.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
You're right. I didn't take into account that Carroll isn't just starting out. Tagg is one of the best.
And of course every masterful horseman hits it big immediately when they start out... Like Barclay Tagg did, right? What were all those years at Liberty Bell and Bowie about then? Keeping a low profile I suppose...

Old 03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
I've admired Tagg's ability for a long time, but it is amazing how a guy no one knew beyond PA, MD and NY before 2003 is now talked about so reverentially. He had only been training 30 years before Funny Cide showed up. Now beloved as a crusty character, up to 2003 he was best known as a SOB... for a variety of good reasons.

David Carroll has been training 15 years and has been a consistant 15% winner. He's won stakes when he's had opportunities with good horses. Have to say I'm a bit mystified by animosity directed towards him.
I knew about Tagg well before 2003. And I tend to like SOB's rather than the ultra positive guys like Carroll who have good stock yet let Thorograph's dictate when and where that stock runs. I hope he was getting paid for that advertisement.

And really Carroll should have a consistant 15% clip with the stock he has. It's getting that stock to the next level that's been a problem. And with thorograph calling the shots that explains alot.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I was under the impression that the Southwest was ungraded ( I also thought that was ridiculous ). If it was Graded then I definitely stand corrected.
Finally got graded this year. Could probably run 5th in the Wood and be safe. Although anywhere behind Take of Ekati would be reason enough not to go to the Derby regardless of earnings.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I knew about Tagg well before 2003. And I tend to like SOB's rather than the ultra positive guys like Carroll who have good stock yet let Thorograph's dictate when and where that stock runs. I hope he was getting paid for that advertisement.

And really Carroll should have a consistant 15% clip with the stock he has. It's getting that stock to the next level that's been a problem. And with thorograph calling the shots that explains alot.

I believe Mike Ryan is still managing Warren's racing stable so that may have been pointed out by him.