Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default Chip Kelly reportedly at the top of Browns and Eagles "wish" list

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...hing-wish-list

Why would an NFL team want Chip Kelly? He runs the freaking Urban Meyer spread at hyper tempo.

That will never work in the NFL, will it?

Rich Rodriguez tried to bring that offense to Michigan from West Va.

That Up tempo spread crap has ruined the college game. I can't imagine it will work in the NFL, let alone Cleveland.

Maybe Jeraimiah Messoli (sp?) can replace Weeden,
Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...hing-wish-list

Why would an NFL team want Chip Kelly? He runs the freaking Urban Meyer spread at hyper tempo.

That will never work in the NFL, will it?

Rich Rodriguez tried to bring that offense to Michigan from West Va.

That Up tempo spread crap has ruined the college game. I can't imagine it will work in the NFL, let alone Cleveland.

Maybe Jeraimiah Messoli (sp?) can replace Weeden,
Add Bills to that list.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Hollywood Park

When is Bill Cowher getting back into the NFL coaching ring ????
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I think Chip Kelly is a GREAT college coach.

If I could have anyone in college -- it's either Kelly, Saban, or Urban Meyer.

I guess because Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh have worked out so well from the Pac 10 -- that helps him? Harbaugh uses tight ends and fullbacks like it's still the 1970's and Carroll is pro style.

If the forward pass was outlawed -- Oregon would have won every Pac 10 game in the last 5 years by 30 points or more.

If all of those stupid sweeps and reads that gash Pac 10 defenses work in the NFL, I will be shocked.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Flemington

Meyer is the best coach in NCAA football. Not even close.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

I guess because Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh have worked out so well from the Pac 10 -- that helps him? Harbaugh uses tight ends and fullbacks like it's still the 1970's and Carroll is pro style.

If the forward pass was outlawed -- Oregon would have won every Pac 10 game in the last 5 years by 30 points or more.

If all of those stupid sweeps and reads that gash Pac 10 defenses work in the NFL, I will be shocked.
I think the idea is that he developed this offense and recruited players tht fit its strengths because he is a sharp guy. The assumption being that he can adapt an offense that fits to the NFL and whatever teams players he winds up with. I dont think anyone expects him to use this exact offense in the pros.

Nick Saban was a terrible NFL coach. He is a far better dictator/recruiter type coach which works at big SEC schools but doesnt work so well when there is a pesky salary cap and no ability to stockpile talent.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

Harbaugh and Carroll were NFL guys for a longtime though
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Fairgrounds

I wouldn't be surprised if Chip Kelly would leave Oregon. They'll probably be going on NCAA probation in 2013 or 2014.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I think the idea is that he developed this offense and recruited players tht fit its strengths because he is a sharp guy. The assumption being that he can adapt an offense that fits to the NFL and whatever teams players he winds up with. I dont think anyone expects him to use this exact offense in the pros.
That's a type logic that I don't believe in.

People generally aren't that versatile until they prove that they are...and he hasn't proved it yet.

The NFL is about passing the football. No matter what they pay him, I doubt he gets the respect of the players.

No matter how bad Saben might have been in Miami -- and I think they went like 1-15 when he left -- he is a guy that does it NFL style on both sides of the ball.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

People generally aren't that versatile until they prove that they are...and he hasn't proved it yet.

The NFL is about passing the football. No matter what they pay him, I doubt he gets the respect of the players.

No matter how bad Saben might have been in Miami -- and I think they went like 1-15 when he left -- he is a guy that does it NFL style on both sides of the ball.
i think saban's problem nfl-wise is the pro's aren't going to put up with his tirades and curses like college players do.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

He didnt invent that offense, it was there before him. Good coaches are good coaches. Look at Brian Kelly at ND. He has always been known an offense guy and used the spread as well. This team he has in Nat'l Championship game is using a basic grind it out offense.

If you think that Kelly's schemes arent NFL worthy you havent been paying attention to all the teams using elements of it. I'm always skeptical of college guys in the NFL simply because despite the fact the x's and O's arent that different College coaches are dictators who are allowed to horde talent and they totally run the show. There are no big ego owners, agents, contract years, etc. The winning college coach is the highest paid guy on campus and has the most power because of it. Not so in the NFL. Even bigger issue in the NBA.

Saban was overmatched in the NFL. The team that was 1-15 after he left was the team that had his fingerprints all over it. His personnel decisions were scary bad. His greatest strength as a coach is recruiting which is worthless in the NFL. Alabama does nothing original and his LSU teams didnt either. He went out and got better players and lined them up and said beat me.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i think saban's problem nfl-wise is the pro's aren't going to put up with his tirades and curses like college players do.
For the most part they do. Very few have guaranteed contracts. IMO his biggest problem is in the NFL the worst teams talentwise arent that much worse than the best team. Recruiting is not a primary skill needed in the NFL and he is a master recruiter.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Saban is a great coach.

He has done a great job at Michigan State, LSU, and Alabama. All of those programs improved markedly under him.

Even if his fingerprints were all over the 1-15 team in Miami, he didn't coach them.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

The same probably could have been said about Pete Carrol, by the way.

He gets bashed every year for "reaching" at the Draft in Seattle ... but a lot of his reaches have been brilliant draft picks.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Saban is a great coach.

He has done a great job at Michigan State, LSU, and Alabama. All of those programs improved markedly under him.

Even if his fingerprints were all over the 1-15 team in Miami, he didn't coach them.
Nick Saban's 2 years in the NFL were not impressive. The team got off to bad starts both years and regressed quite a bit the 2nd year when they were supposedly going to be a potential playoff team. His 2006 draft was a disaster as they had traded too many picks and with his 1st and 3rd rd picks he took Jason Allen and Derrick Hagen who were both busts. His entire draft that year was awful as not a single decent player was drafted. He famously chose to sign Culpepper rather than Brees. The team regressed under his watch and he made a smart move by leaving as he could see the handwriting on the wall. Naturally he lied about leaving because college czars are allowed to lie because they are gods on campus. His college career is great, his NFL career was not.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
The same probably could have been said about Pete Carrol, by the way.

He gets bashed every year for "reaching" at the Draft in Seattle ... but a lot of his reaches have been brilliant draft picks.
Pete Carroll has been an NFL coach for 7 seasons. He was a defensive coodinator for 6 other seasons. He is an NFL guy who happened to coach USC for a stretch.

He is 58-54 with a 2-3 playoff record. Not bad but not exactly hall of fame numbers.

Saban will be 62 next year. I don't see him becoming a hugely successful NFL head coach at this point.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
He famously chose to sign Culpepper rather than Brees.
Ouch.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Ouch.
and then there's this recent article...excerpt:

In what could be viewed as Alabama coach Nick Saban’s first toe in the water toward no longer being the Alabama coach, Saban has disclosed for the first time publicly that he picked quarterback Drew Brees over quarterback Daunte Culpepper in 2006.

“We chose Drew Brees,” Saban told Dan Le Batard of 790 The Ticket in Miami. “I’ve never ever talked about this publicly. . . . That’s the guy we made the first offer to.”

Saban said that Brees failed the physical after Brees and the Dolphins had agreed to terms. Brees had suffered a shoulder injury during the final game of the 2005 regular season.

Instead, the Dolphins sent a second-round pick to the Vikings for quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who had torn his ACL, MCL, and PCL during an October 2005 game against the Panthers.

Since Saban never does anything without a plan, the plan could be to clean the slate on the perception that he picked Culpepper over Brees, shifting the blame to the doctors and in turning clearing a path for NFL teams that may have lingering concerns regarding his perceived preference for Culpepper over Brees to chase Saban.

clearing the air, or re-writing history??
Old 01-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Randy Moss would have about 7 Super Bowl Rings in his first 7seasons if he had an avg NFL QB and an AVG NFL Defense.

Culpepper was probably the dumbest sack of sh!t to ever play the position. He had a few seasons that ranked among the all-time great in terms of stats... but they were mostly the result of a pathetic defense and Randy Moss getting doubled all game and still putting up crazy numbers.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick333 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Chip Kelly would leave Oregon. They'll probably be going on NCAA probation in 2013 or 2014.
Winner Winner

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...es-scholarship

I'm shocked