Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Hialeah Park

Default Junior to ChiSox?

Interesting...looks like they may want Swisher to play first more and may think Konerko is in more than a slump.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3512365
Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Interesting...looks like they may want Swisher to play first more and may think Konerko is in more than a slump.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3512365
To call it a slump is being very kind

2006 - .313
2007 - .259
2008 - .214

That is rapid decomposition, and yes I'm bitter cause I kept him in my Keeper League thinking he could bounce back.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
To call it a slump is being very kind

2006 - .313
2007 - .259
2008 - .214

That is rapid decomposition, and yes I'm bitter cause I kept him in my Keeper League thinking he could bounce back.
I hear you..he had some legit wrist problems earlier, but those are gone and he's still struggling. Still surprised about Jr...Gotta' look up his Cincy numbers this year
Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I hear you..he had some legit wrist problems earlier, but those are gone and he's still struggling. Still surprised about Jr...Gotta' look up his Cincy numbers this year

think he's got 14 homers... just off the top of my head number though.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
.245 with 15 HRs, they are still slightly better with him in the lineup than Konerko.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
think he's got 14 homers... just off the top of my head number though.
He hit his 15th last night, batting .245...Just trying to figure out where he's going to play and how much, unles another deal is in the works..

I'm sure Griffey is wondering the same thing
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
He hit his 15th last night, batting .245...Just trying to figure out where he's going to play and how much, unles another deal is in the works..

center field?? I dont really watch the reds... is he any good at center now?? who plays center for the sox?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
center field?? I dont really watch the reds... is he any good at center now?? who plays center for the sox?
It's been Swisher, a promising rooking Dewayne Wise and Brian Anderson.

Guess Jr has not played center all year, but he's not replacing Dye or Quinten in the corners
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

I think you are dead on that Swisher will move to first. Konerko could DH sometimes against lefties.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
It's been Swisher, a promising rooking Dewayne Wise and Brian Anderson.

Guess Jr has not played center all year, but he's not replacing Dye or Quinten in the corners
Swisher's range factor in center this year is 2.34 against a league average of 2.68. So Griffey could still be below average in CF and be better than Swisher.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Sha Tin

I dont understand this at all. Playing Griffey in center is not only a bad idea from the standpoint of him simply not being able to cover much ground but also from the extra stress on his legs. He is not exactly durable. He isnt having a bad year but his bat speed isnt the same, his legs are shaky and he doesnt hit left handers at all anymore. I just dont see how he improves this team. I suppose the thinking is that Swisher will hit more at first and maybe Konerko is done(or hurt or both) but Griffey isnt even an average CF anymore and his bat is not nearly good enough to make up the difference.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I dont understand this at all. Playing Griffey in center is not only a bad idea from the standpoint of him simply not being able to cover much ground but also from the extra stress on his legs. He is not exactly durable. He isnt having a bad year but his bat speed isnt the same, his legs are shaky and he doesnt hit left handers at all anymore. I just dont see how he improves this team. I suppose the thinking is that Swisher will hit more at first and maybe Konerko is done(or hurt or both) but Griffey isnt even an average CF anymore and his bat is not nearly good enough to make up the difference.
I can't argue with much of that...stll thinking this is a two step trade maybe?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Saratoga

Griffey accepted it......
Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Griffey accepted it......
Wonder what the Reds are getting? Better not be much

Konerko maybe...lol
Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Wonder what the Reds are getting? Better not be much

Konerko maybe...lol
On ESPN....half of Griffey's contract, Masset and some other guy...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
On ESPN....half of Griffey's contract, Masset and some other guy...
Massett and Danny Richar, their second baseman of the future until Alexi showed up. Surprised about Massett though..
Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Saratoga

I know this isn't a Cubs thread, but I have to tout how much a steal Harden and Gaudin were from the Athletics. Murton is back in Triple A, Patterson blows, and Gallagher has been servicable at best. Meanwhile, Harden has been absolutely unhittable, although they have handled him with gloves, and Gaudin has been absolutely as solid as possible after his first two outings.....
Old 07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Aqueduct

the reds win on this deal if they only get a few bats and a dozen balls in return.
he can barely play RF anymore, has little range and doesn't scare anybody when he comes to the plate. If this isn't his last season,it should be.
The Reds weren't going to pick up his option anyway, so a good deal for them.

He's a hack and you guys sold your soul for him. Congrats." coach pants
Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Sha Tin

"Acquired OF-L Ken Griffey Jr. from the Reds for 2B-L Danny Richar and RHP Nick Masset. [7/31]

Getting Griffey cost the Sox nothing that they'll miss, so on that level, this is a great deal. Setting aside where he'll play for a moment, a team counting on a notoriously fragile player like Jim Thome could use an extra bat in case the DH breaks down, or if Jermaine Dye has another one of his catastrophic injuries, or should plunk-happy Carlos Quentin run one risk too many hanging over the plate and taking one for the team that he should have ducked. Strictly as a matter of depth, it's a good pickup. As a way to take Paul Konerko out of the lineup now and again, it also makes sense, sort of, but keep in mind that Griffey really isn't hitting well, having only delivered a pretty pedestrian .277 EqA (the position's average is .271), with his best feature being a park-aided .261/.373/.452 against right-handers (while disappearing against lefties), but that immediately invites a reference to his hitting only .237/.347/.411 outside of the Rhineland bandbox that the Reds call home. If that's more along the lines of what the Sox might expect, you can reasonably wonder if they weren't better off just accepting that kind of production from a person named Dewayn Wise instead of one named Ken Griffey.

Playing Griffey also comes with risks, unless of course he dons a glove and plays a bit of first. That's because Griffey in the lineup could also involve the risk of their employing Thome at first base, or Griffey in center, and of those two options, the former's a potentially unacceptable risk, while the latter simply is an unacceptable risk. As Marc Normandin noted in anticipation of the deal, three-fifths of the Sox rotation is made up of fly-ball pitchers, and while they've survived Nick Swisher's game efforts in center, running Griffey back out there might test those hurlers beyond a defensive breaking point. If, as rumored, Griffey only agreed to the deal in return for a guarantee that he'd start in center, you wind up with a player demanding and getting something he shouldn't have asked for if helping his new team was on his agenda, and worse yet getting it from a team that should know better, especially when it should be focused on taking its best shot at a division title."
Old 08-01-2008, 12:22 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

jr blows..so do the sox..