View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
This is what i said:

While Boston and the mets have more revenues than most everyone else they are still dwarfed by the Yankees. The Red Sox have been competitive because they have not only spent on FA's (though not to the degree of the yankees) but have a superior player development program. Of course having the extra cash to pay draftees over slot and the ability to re-sign its developed players matters too

Again you go off on tangents when it suits your argument. I clearly was refering to the Red Sox current managemnt teasm, namely Epstein who took over in 2003.

And the Red Sox hardly "bought" those championships, especially not the way the Yankees "bought" last years. The 2004 team had 1 mega FA signing on the team, Manny.
Do I have to rehash again?

2004 Red Sox
C- Varitek- acquired via minor league trade
1b-Millar -signed as FA- 2 million a year
2b-Bellhorn- acquired via trade was a player to be named later
SS-Reese - FA- 1 million a year
3b- Mueller - FA- 2.1 million a year
OF-kapler- FA- 750k a year
OF Damon- FA 7.1 million
Of- Manny- FA 22.5 million
others
Youlkilis -drafted
Dave Roberts-via trade
Carbera-via trade

Sp-Pedro-via trade
Sp-Shilling-via trade
Sp-Lowe-via trade
Arroyo- waiver claim
Wakefield- FA 4 million
Foulke -FA 3.5 million

Outside of manny all the other FA's that they "bought" made less combined than Jeter made in one year. Of course this had very little to do with the statement that I made about Epstein and the Red Sox doing a great job with player development which is pretty much standard knowledge.
No Manny , no rings chuck , it's that simple , they don't sign him , the curse is still in tact