View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Keeneland

While noble, is trying to save this foal the 'right thing to do' for the horse?[/quote]

Yes. Every animal has a right to a chance at life when brought into the world deliberately by humans. Euthanasia is always a choice along the way.

However it is entirely the decision of the owners. You lay out the options. You help them decide and weigh options. But whatever they decide, you go with.

I've killed easily healable animals because their owners didn't want to spend over $50 on them. I've killed perfectly fine and healthy animals just because nobody wanted them. I've had owners (most) with unlimited commitment, time, budget, love.

Only once have I ever had to tell an owner, who loved their pet, that it was past time to let the animal go. Owners know, and they don't get it wrong.

Nobody outside the owner can judge the owner's decision as to, "too much" or "too little", even though their own personal decision, if it were their own animal, would be different.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts