Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Oriental Park

Default Mind that Bird last race before the derby

Did anyone take a second look at his PP's?

Look at the splits from his last race at a 1 1/8

45.32 and 1:10.12 - if i am correct these are the best splits of any 1 1/8 race for any of the derby contenders

is it odd for his beyer to be lower in this race than his previous race ? look at the splits from 2 races back at 1 1/16

i gotta think the race on the 29th s.b looked at again by the beyer boys no?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 PM
The Curragh

The final time is the only time that matters though when making the beyer figure right??

But I still think something doesn't seem right about those Sunland beyer figures. Anywhere else, he probably is in the low 90s range type of horse, except on mud or sloppy tracks of course.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
The final time is the only time that matters though when making the beyer figure right??

But I still think something doesn't seem right about those Sunland beyer figures. Anywhere else, he probably is in the low 90s range type of horse, except on mud or sloppy tracks of course.
i don't know the answer to that question , someone who is an expert on beyer figures could answer that i'm sure
Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Hey, I aint one to gossip or tell stories, but i heard it was a one horse trailer being pulled by a 10speed bike, up hill in the snow, the whole way......
Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Don't you think it might be a good idea to figure out how and why the figure is made before questioning how valid it is?

why not explain professor ? please expalin his last 2 races before the derby

is it not valid to question the beyers when the splits appear better in the race where he got a lower beyer

did the horse not take a step forward in his 2nd start?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
As usual, you have missed the point. If you don't understand how or why the number is made, how could you possibly understand the end result? You can't. So have one of your insider friends explain the numbers to you...slowly. And then maybe you can answer your own question. Won't that be fun?

again the fractions in the 2nd race were better than the 1st race , why wouldn't the beyer be better , could it have been a mistake?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Oriental Park

does anyone on here know sunland park and think the number looks rathe low ?

do different tracks get different beyers assigned or is their some uniformity?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Oriental Park

[quote=DaHoss9698]Be honest, are you at all related to PG1985? Distant cousin maybe?[/QUOTE

don't even know who he is
Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
What color is the sky?

the color of the ocean in bermuda

please explain the 2 races two me da hoss - explain to me fractional times , he had the best at 1 1/8 - do smaller tracks get lower beyers by default , surely he last race was an improvement was it not - the fractons were harder he was in a larger field , bigger race , how could he have not shown improvement from race 1 to race 2 at Sunland
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney

this is what the person i was talking to said to me, not that they would have bet the horse to win , but , a low 90's number may have caused him to use the horse underneath , plus it would make the miracle jump at least seem plausible

Steve - can you ask beyer about that race and if they looked at doing a revision ?

now the edited part for da hoss just to keep things honest

the florida derby was revised this year no?

were there any other races on that day at sunland run at 1 1/8 to compare to MTB race? if the flroida derby can be revised , why not the race at sunland (or is it simply a track that doesn't get the attention that others get)
Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
Did anyone take a second look at his PP's?

Look at the splits from his last race at a 1 1/8

45.32 and 1:10.12 - if i am correct these are the best splits of any 1 1/8 race for any of the derby contenders

is it odd for his beyer to be lower in this race than his previous race ? look at the splits from 2 races back at 1 1/16

i gotta think the race on the 29th s.b looked at again by the beyer boys no?

MTB had the best 1st and 2nd call times going into the derby and it was his most recent race
Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
MTB had the best 1st and 2nd call times going into the derby and it was his most recent race
So?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 AM

Stop trying to look in the PP's for an explanation for Saturday. There just isn't one. The horse ran the last half of that race with nearly Secretariat-like speed. It is horse racing. Crap happens.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Flemington

I don't know what's worse, abbreviating horses names or just spelling them wrong altogether.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Stop trying to look in the PP's for an explanation for Saturday. There just isn't one. The horse ran the last half of that race with nearly Secretariat-like speed. It is horse racing. Crap happens.
but he didn't ran at all in the beginning , do you know the splits from sat?

he ran the 6f in 1:10 and change in the race before , so there was some ability that maybe was overlooked
Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 AM

I see that the horse ran 6f in change the race before, a race that went its final 3/8ths in 40-ish seconds while your boy Mine that Bird completely faded from contention. How does that correlate with the horse coming home in 47-ish seconds in a 10f race next out? It doesn't.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I see that the horse ran 6f in change the race before, a race that went its final 3/8ths in 40-ish seconds while your boy Mine that Bird completely faded from contention. How does that correlate with the horse coming home in 47-ish seconds in a 10f race next out? It doesn't.

do you have the splits from the derby , he obviously didn't raun at all in the first 3 -4 f , borel took him back , what was his time for the last 6f in the derby surely somebody must have the splits no?

all i'm saying is that his race was better than it looked , how much better , whose to say , but, maybe just maybe he got more out of that race than people want to give him credit for , bumping the horses and taking back in the derby may have been a godsend cuse it allowed borel to conserve in the early part of the race and then unleash during the 2nd half of the race
Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 AM

I think officially the horse's internal fractions for the last half of the Derby were 47 and 1/5. That is faster than just about anybody not named Secretariat has run the last 4f of a Derby in at least as far back as I've looked.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 AM

I know, I know, different track, different day, different surface, blah, blah, blah, but for comparison's purposes, Ghostzapper ran the last half in his 2004 Breeders Cup Classic in 47.70.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I think officially the horse's internal fractions for the last half of the Derby were 47 and 1/5. That is faster than just about anybody not named Secretariat has run the last 4f of a Derby in at least as far back as I've looked.

ok , he ran a 45 and change at sunland in his prior race (he crawled home like you say in that race and he did) but didn't he crawl through the derby in the beginning - why couldn't he come home in 47 and change like he did in the derby after crawling in the beginnig - he was dead last no (i think durkin called him incorrectly on the backside)