Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Sha Tin

Old 12-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Aqueduct

CS-

Looks like 'Fin fans can be classified as the good, the bad, and the ugly. Or using using your sequence the ugly, the good and the bad.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

I'm holding out hope that Tannenbaum isn't dumb enough to go after that piece of trash Matt Cassel. Talk about a sucker move. Signing him to a big contract would be akin to betting Music Note at 1-9 in the BC Classic after her only competition scratched in the Gazelle. There's a reason the guy hadn't started a game since high school, and you could put Chuck behind that O-Line with Moss and Welker and he'd look like Dan freaking Fouts.

As an aside, the Jets leading the league with seven Pro Bowlers may be the final blow for Mangini if they can't sneak into the playoffs. I think he's a decent coach, but he's not good enough to make up for two lackluster coordinators. I'd like to see Romeo replace Sutton and Callahan promoted to OC, then Mangini get one more year to do something significant. The QB situation will be a mess (tell Favre to take a hike), but if we can suss out a gamebreaking WR in the draft, build some O-Line depth and shore up the secondary, I don't think we'll need Johnny U. back there to contend next year.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
I'm holding out hope that Tannenbaum isn't dumb enough to go after that piece of trash Matt Cassel. Talk about a sucker move. Signing him to a big contract would be akin to betting Music Note at 1-9 in the BC Classic after her only competition scratched in the Gazelle. There's a reason the guy hadn't started a game since high school, and you could put Chuck behind that O-Line with Moss and Welkerand he'd look like Dan freaking Fouts.
You haven't seen how that O-line pass blocks when teams can rush up the middle. Cassell has been sacked 46 times this year! It's a big function of defenses playing copy-cat and using the Giants brilliant strategy in the super bowl of rushing their DE's against the Pats guards and blizing right up the middle.

I think Wes Welker will prove to be an absolutley tremendous bust when he leaves NE for more money ...

He was undrafted and he's already had two different teams basically give him away.

Welker benefits as much or more than anyone in a Moss offense. Basically, Welker is a gritty little guy who is VERY tough to defend in space.

When you're running a spread offense and you constantly have a corner jamming Moss with a safety always playing deep and rolling to him ... you are going to have all kinds of room for Welker to work with. He's basically just a 3rd down reciever for any other team...and even with Moss, he's not a guy that will score many TD's because the field tightens up inside the red zone.

The Patriots are the #1 ranked point scoring offense in the AFC right now and they are 4th in the NFL in yards. This would be the 8th time in the 11 years of Moss that his offense was top 5 in the NFL in those offensive categories. Tom Brady has played on a GRAND TOTAL of just one offense ('07) that finished in the top 5 in the NFL in yards.

In a Moss offensive anyone can look great playing QB, RB, and WR - just so long as the O-line can pass block. The Raiders opted not to run a spread style offense and they had the worst pass blocking O-line in NFL history, if you can't block the whole Moss offense goes entirely up in smoke.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Flemington

I am praying for your Jets to win one for the Pats on Sunday Hossy.

Although - the one defense in the NFL that has always been best made to handle a Moss offense is the Baltimore Ravens .. and that is who the Pats would get in the wildcard.

Tough physical corners, an amazing safety like Ed Reed who covers a ton of field ... something that is very key from the safety position against a Moss offense.

You also have great linebackers and DE's on that team. Matt Cassell won't look like boy wonder in that one.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Flemington

Roll your eyes all you want.

When Brady won his 3 Super Bowls .. he had the NFL's #1 ranked defense, #2 ranked defense, and #6 ranked defense in fewest points allowed.

It shows you how massively overrated winning Super Bowls are. Brady wasn't playing defense. Moss has played on teams with total swiss cheese defenses in 9 of his 11 years in the NFL. And this years defense is close to being swiss with all the injuries. He would have about 8 rings right now if he had the '03 and '04 Pats defense all these years.

Does anyone even remember how bad some of those Viking defenses were back in the day!?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I'm holding out hope that Tannenbaum isn't dumb enough to go after that piece of trash Matt Cassel. Talk about a sucker move. Signing him to a big contract would be akin to betting Music Note at 1-9 in the BC Classic after her only competition scratched in the Gazelle. There's a reason the guy hadn't started a game since high school, and you could put Chuck behind that O-Line with Moss and Welker and he'd look like Dan freaking Fouts.

As an aside, the Jets leading the league with seven Pro Bowlers may be the final blow for Mangini if they can't sneak into the playoffs. I think he's a decent coach, but he's not good enough to make up for two lackluster coordinators. I'd like to see Romeo replace Sutton and Callahan promoted to OC, then Mangini get one more year to do something significant. The QB situation will be a mess (tell Favre to take a hike), but if we can suss out a gamebreaking WR in the draft, build some O-Line depth and shore up the secondary, I don't think we'll need Johnny U. back there to contend next year.
I'm more like....

Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Sha Tin

The Dee Tee All-Stars
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I'm more like....

Chuck, you're a lefty?
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Chuck, you're a lefty?
No but I am hefty
Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Chuck, you're a lefty?

I thought Chuck was telling us he lost weight.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
I thought Chuck was telling us he lost weight.
Couldnt find a fatter QB
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
In his situation given the options he had...yes.

We're not talking about a Rhodes scholar here. He's a tater from Mississippi who lucked out in the gene pool and got a cannon of an arm. Without it he'd be going from job to job and in and out of trouble with the law like many taters like him in the deep south.

It didn't help matters that he developed a severely narcissistic personality through the years while being coddled by the Packers organization. It also didn't help that he didn't have anyone close to him that had sense enough to tell him to sign contracts in his later years that would've enabled him to opt for free agency each year.

That's why he's a Jet. It's the black hole of the NFL and has tarnished his legacy.
Scuds and Coach Pants have melded into
a single unit.
Shocking stuff.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Flemington

Quote:

I personally think that Woody Johnson will give Mangini one more year. I still think Farve is going to ride into the sunset and try to forget totally about this year.
The way the Jets/Pats take each others players, you would think that there is a good chance that Cassel ends up the swamp. But I agree with your assesment of him. I just think about Scott Mitchell for some reason.
But it definitely poses a good question. This team is built for now, if it's not Farve then who will it be? If I was Mangini/Tannenbaum and realized that next year is my last unless you make the playoffs, would I really want my fate in Kellen Clemens hands? I wouldn't. Maybe a guy like Jeff Garcia for a season. You are a running team, get used to it and Garcia is solid plus he doesn't turn it over much. He might be enough to enable your team to make a run.
If not pack your bags because you are not going to see the new stadium. By that time Mike Holmgren's year sabatical with be over and he will be ready to come to the biggest market in the world. He will be the GM/Coach and then some major changes will be made. For the record I am not a huge fan of his, but the man has had sucess where ever he has been. Maybe he could turn around gang green. He couldn't be any worse that the last 3 head coaches that occupied that position.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:57 PM
5'8".. but all man!

I laughed

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,130799
Old 12-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
If I was Mangini/Tannenbaum and realized that next year is my last unless you make the playoffs, would I really want my fate in Kellen Clemens hands? I wouldn't.
Not saying that Clemens is definitely the answer, but considering how much Chad has improved this year thanks to not playing behind a horrendous line, I'd think Clemens at least deserves a shot behind a (mostly) competent O-Line too. My worry is that Tangini wanted him to be the QB really badly and he still couldn't beat out Chad in training camp. I'd be open to drafting a QB and bringing in a one-year guy like Garcia as a bridge, but I'd also like the jury to be in on Clemens and Ratliff before I made that decision.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
If I am not mistaken the St. Louis player
is after his whistle.

Whistle suckling.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Would you rather be a chiefs fan? Or a skins fan? LOL (muffled by paper bag)
KC will win at least 7 games next year and might even make the playoffs. They are this year's Miami. So next year when they make the playoffs and everyone is saying 'no one saw that coming' remember this post.

Bills are toast next year, look at this schedule, 1-7 or 0-8 on the road is very likely even if they improve significantly from this year:

Home: Miami, New England, New York Jets, Houston, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati or Cleveland

Away: Miami, New England, New York Jets, Atlanta, Carolina, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Tennessee
Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 PM

Analyzing schedules a year in advance is completely useless. Half of those teams will end up being mediocre to terrible.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Analyzing schedules a year in advance is completely useless. Half of those teams will end up being mediocre to terrible.
Sure a few teams will move up and a few will move down but overall you can tell a schedule quality going in. The Jags and Chiefs might not be as easy as their results this year suggests and all the other teams they face on the road will almost certainly be very tough games. Tough to imagine Atlanta getting worse with a rookie QB this year and the only hope of the Titans being an easy game is if Haynesworth is in jail and Vince Young is their QB.