Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Steve Byk

Default 8/26 (SAR): 148th Travers Day (5 G1's, G2 undercard)

Last edited by Kasept : 08-23-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:55 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
TRAVERS NOMINEE PP'S

ALWAYS DREAMING (Pletcher)
CLOUD COMPUTING (Brown)
FAYEQ (KMc)
GIRVIN (Sharp)
GIUSEPPE THE GREAT (Zito)
GOOD SAMARITAN (Mott)
GUNNEVERA (Sano)
IRAP (O'Neill)
LOOKIN AT LEE (Asmussen)
MCCRAKEN (Wilkes)
OUTPLAY (Pletcher)
PATCH (Pletcher)
PAVEL (O'Neill)
PERFECT PARTNER (Casse)
TAPWRIT (Pletcher)
TIMELINE (Brown)
WEST COAST (Baffert)
West Coast.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Hialeah Park

Wow --- can't wait to see the field/post positions!!

Good Samaritan's effort in the Jim Dandy almost has to be upgraded due to how the track has played so far this meet. He looked great in the stretch despite the bias. That said, he definitely has that "last time was THE time to have him" feel about him, something along the lines of what Andy S likes to say.

Man, there's a few horses on this list that look like they could play the role of Arrogate last year and pull off an upset. McCraken, Pavel to name a couple. Not sure what to think of Tapwrit being trained up to this race. West Coast & Girvin are two that will be bet heavily off their last races, imo, but ya never know! The one thing that I DO know is that 3 yr old honors are still highly up for grabs! Can't wait to see how this one shakes out!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Wow --- can't wait to see the field/post positions!!

Good Samaritan's effort in the Jim Dandy almost has to be upgraded due to how the track has played so far this meet. He looked great in the stretch despite the bias. That said, he definitely has that "last time was THE time to have him" feel about him, something along the lines of what Andy S likes to say.

Man, there's a few horses on this list that look like they could play the role of Arrogate last year and pull off an upset. McCraken, Pavel to name a couple. Not sure what to think of Tapwrit being trained up to this race. West Coast & Girvin are two that will be bet heavily off their last races, imo, but ya never know! The one thing that I DO know is that 3 yr old honors are still highly up for grabs! Can't wait to see how this one shakes out!
One could argue the best 3yr old at this point is not even running.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Unique Bella, I presume?
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 PM

Irish Freedom
I meant in the race.

Last edited by RHT2004 : 08-14-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: meant i
Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Hialeah Park

Gotcha. Sure looked good last night, geared down.

Personally, I enjoy years like this one where the water is so murky that you could poll 100 different race trackers and not find a single Top 5 list that would be duplicated.

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Irish Freedom
I meant in the race.
It was an utter fail running that horse in the Santa Anita Derby off a "short horse" effort in the Battle of Midway allowance.

It's kind of a shame that he came off the bench fully loaded so soon as there is now a second opportunity to burn him out trying to make the Breeder's Cup.

Hopefully Baffert takes it slow and shoots for something like the Clark towards the end of the year.

Of course, the reality is he'll probably show up for the Pennsylvania Derby.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Two week turn around is probably not ideal for Oscar Performance.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Havre de Grace

I know, of the horses who will be bet, who the biggest bet against is for me... Good Samaritan.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I know, of the horses who will be bet, who the biggest bet against is for me... Good Samaritan.
I am indifferent.

Yes he was on the good rail for most of the race, and caught a race where several were stopping, and its the whole wedding - funeral deal but...

I wonder if he isnt somewhat overloooked again, to a certain extent.

We know West Coast, who is distance challenged, is going to take way to much money for the obvious reasons.

Both CC and Always Dreaming will take some money again. Girvin and McCraken will take money off that last race.

I see him in the 8/1 range and unlike the others there may actually be some upside still to him.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Care to expound on this Nick, as to why you feel this way? Is it because of how low his odds are certain to be and that the Jim Dandy was the time to have him or is it the fact that you think the race doesn't shape up in his favor?

If you don't respond here I'm sure I'll catch your answer on one of the 15 podcasts you're a cinch to be on before next week's race haha -- keep up the great work btw! I listen to mostly all of them but when I see you and Serling are one of the guests on that episode, I tune in extra closely. Love me some Kinchen as well!

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
I am indifferent.

Yes he was on the good rail for most of the race, and caught a race where several were stopping, and its the whole wedding - funeral deal but...

I wonder if he isnt somewhat overloooked again, to a certain extent.

We know West Coast, who is distance challenged, is going to take way to much money for the obvious reasons.

Both CC and Always Dreaming will take some money again. Girvin and McCraken will take money off that last race.

I see him in the 8/1 range and unlike the others there may actually be some upside still to him.
8-1??? Really?!? I think it'll still be too fresh in player's minds of him blowing the proverbial doors off of AD & CC in Jim Dandy.

I can see him 3rd or 4th choice behind West Coast, Tapwrit, and perhaps one more.

Can't wait to see this year's running!

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-15-2017, 11:51 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
8-1??? Really?!? I think it'll still be too fresh in player's minds of him blowing the proverbial doors off of AD & CC in Jim Dandy.

I can see him 3rd or 4th choice behind West Coast, Tapwrit, and perhaps one more.

Can't wait to see this year's running!
Well its going to be a big field that you can go a lot of directions, the autotosses are few. You could be right, I am going to handicap the race square and maybe make a bet based on how they bet it.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:29 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Care to expound on this Nick, as to why you feel this way? Is it because of how low his odds are certain to be and that the Jim Dandy was the time to have him or is it the fact that you think the race doesn't shape up in his favor?

If you don't respond here I'm sure I'll catch your answer on one of the 15 podcasts you're a cinch to be on before next week's race haha -- keep up the great work btw! I listen to mostly all of them but when I see you and Serling are one of the guests on that episode, I tune in extra closely. Love me some Kinchen as well!
Haha, thanks.

If you believe, like I do, that the July 29 main track had one of the strongest gold rails of the meet, then Good Samaritan is a toss. Too much attention is going to be paid to the fact that he made a wide move in upper stretch. In actuality, he saved more ground than every horse in the race besides Always Dreaming. That slingshot inside-out move on a strong rail is the best trip outside of being on the rail the whole way.

I also feel like he's exposed at this point and your opportunity to make money betting him is gone.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:51 PM

I think Good Samaritan is the 2nd or 3rd most likely winner. I dont want any horses out of TC races. Im all West Coast, Good Samaritan and a little KM horse.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:02 PM
The Curragh

Irap at a nice price.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:19 AM
Ellis Park

The SD looks like a BC race........I hope the three Euro's all appear on the scene.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Aqueduct

i remember seeing Whitmore run earlier this meet at Sar and thought that he for sure would run in the Kings Bishop?? . Any word on what he has planned next?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac View Post
i remember seeing Whitmore run earlier this meet at Sar and thought that he for sure would run in the Kings Bishop?? . Any word on what he has planned next?
he is an older horse, and i think he had a little issue right before the vanderbelt