Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
lol - I’ve never seen that but reminded me a bit of this gem from the movie Clerks:

https://youtu.be/iQdDRrcAOjA
Old 02-07-2022, 08:16 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
Do you also root for the empire when you watch Star Wars?
Has nothing to do with rooting for Baffert. I couldn’t care less if he won a race or not. I root against the hypocrisy. I believe that anyone that talks about how all they care about is what’s in the best interest of the horses, if they are above the level of being a groom, they are lying. I don’t believe that anyone is honestly outraged by the cheaters in this sport. It’s nice to say you are. Sounds good. But I don’t believe it. If people really were, this subject wouldn’t even be a conversation because nobody would send him their horses and those he already had would have been taken away. Actions speak volumes. We aren’t gonna stop wagering on the races. We aren’t going to stop watching the races. We KNOW guys cheat yet it doesn’t stop us. If somehow the rule is overturned or there is some kind of injunction that allows Messier or Corniche to be in the Derby starting gate, are you going to protest or not watch? Nope. You’ll still watch, wager, and post about it. Everyone will.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 02-07-2022, 10:53 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Has nothing to do with rooting for Baffert. I couldn’t care less if he won a race or not. I root against the hypocrisy. I believe that anyone that talks about how all they care about is what’s in the best interest of the horses, if they are above the level of being a groom, they are lying. I don’t believe that anyone is honestly outraged by the cheaters in this sport. It’s nice to say you are. Sounds good. But I don’t believe it. If people really were, this subject wouldn’t even be a conversation because nobody would send him their horses and those he already had would have been taken away. Actions speak volumes. We aren’t gonna stop wagering on the races. We aren’t going to stop watching the races. We KNOW guys cheat yet it doesn’t stop us. If somehow the rule is overturned or there is some kind of injunction that allows Messier or Corniche to be in the Derby starting gate, are you going to protest or not watch? Nope. You’ll still watch, wager, and post about it. Everyone will.
Many of us are outraged by cheaters. You have some nerve, frankly, to make the accusations that just did.

You are conflating the issue of what Baffert is being accused of doing. Or maybe you just don't understand the issue. Whatever the case, you're badly confused and seem very comfortable making some pretty lousy accusations.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Many of us are outraged by cheaters. You have some nerve, frankly, to make the accusations that just did.

You are conflating the issue of what Baffert is being accused of doing. Or maybe you just don't understand the issue. Whatever the case, you're badly confused and seem very comfortable making some pretty lousy accusations.
Looks good in print. Probably sounds good coming out of your mouth.I don’t believe you though. Not like you care. Just as I don’t care what your opinion of me is (even though you constantly express it.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 02-08-2022, 09:56 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Looks good in print. Probably sounds good coming out of your mouth.I don’t believe you though. Not like you care. Just as I don’t care what your opinion of me is (even though you constantly express it.
So now I'm a liar.

I'm actually nice to you. I made a mistake. I hope everyone here ignores you from now on.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:40 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Who hurt you so badly that you’ve got such a negative outlook?

I can tell you that my wagering was significantly lower in 2021 than it has been in years. I’ve been very turned off from the sport. I’m definitely not still watching and wagering in the same way I used to.

If someone like me, who grew up going to the track a couple times a week every summer with his grandpa, is starting to lose interest, I think the sport is in trouble. There are maybe 2-3 people I know younger than me who have any interest in horse racing and 1 of them is my relative.

The major thing everyone brings up when I ask them about horse racing is that they think the animals are treated poorly. I used to tell them, “Are you kidding? These top level horses live better lives than a lot of people.” With all the Servis/Navarro stuff and Baffert stuff, I’ve stopped saying that.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
So now I'm a liar.

I'm actually nice to you. I made a mistake. I hope everyone here ignores you from now on.
I wouldn’t call you a liar. I don’t know you. In all the years we’ve been on here, I’ve never insulted you. You can’t say the same. A liar is someone that knows what they say is untrue. I think you believe what you say. I just don’t believe it. And to be clear, I’m only taking about this issue. Stop trying to make it into something it isn’t. You’re better than that.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Who hurt you so badly that you’ve got such a negative outlook?

I can tell you that my wagering was significantly lower in 2021 than it has been in years. I’ve been very turned off from the sport. I’m definitely not still watching and wagering in the same way I used to.

If someone like me, who grew up going to the track a couple times a week every summer with his grandpa, is starting to lose interest, I think the sport is in trouble. There are maybe 2-3 people I know younger than me who have any interest in horse racing and 1 of them is my relative.

The major thing everyone brings up when I ask them about horse racing is that they think the animals are treated poorly. I used to tell them, “Are you kidding? These top level horses live better lives than a lot of people.” With all the Servis/Navarro stuff and Baffert stuff, I’ve stopped saying that.
That’s just the thing. I don’t have a negative outlook. I have an extremely positive one. Horses like Flightline and Life is Good and Corniche really excite me. Not as much as they excite Rollo but still. I just don’t have any expectation that there is a level playing field. Never have and never will. I think most people do what’s best for them and if it happens to also be good for the horse, that’s great.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:40 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
That’s just the thing. I don’t have a negative outlook. I have an extremely positive one. Horses like Flightline and Life is Good and Corniche really excite me. Not as much as they excite Rollo but still. I just don’t have any expectation that there is a level playing field. Never have and never will. I think most people do what’s best for them and if it happens to also be good for the horse, that’s great.
Corniche?
Old 02-08-2022, 07:36 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Does it? If Messier or any other horse is legit, they can switch trainers and just run him in the final round of preps. If the horse finishes top 2, it’ll probably have enough points to start in the Kentucky Derby.

I think we’ll see them switch trainers if the Churchill ban is not overturned. Maybe Churchill should have prevented any horse that runs for Baffert in 2022 from running in the Derby. But I think they would have had a tougher fight if they did that.

I don’t know enough about all of this but I do think wealthy horse owners continuing to send their horses to Baffert and trainers like him despite his record of violations and deaths will ultimately usher in the downfall of the entire sport. You can’t sit up there and talk about how much you care about the horses while knowingly sending your horses to trainers like him. And once a large enough portion of the public believes that owners are full of crap when they say they care about the horses, it’s basically over.
Messier goes kind of funny, like that hoss you loved Vekoma. He kind of throws that left front out and around. He took off like a shot at one point early stretch which was impressive.

Bonus question. What Buddy Holly tune am I listening to right now ?

Last edited by Alabama Stakes : 02-08-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:50 PM
Keeneland

Oh boy
Old 02-08-2022, 07:55 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Oh boy
Correct.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:36 PM
Keeneland

This thread is almost perfect. All that we need is Vic to come in and post his “look at me” nonsense and we’ll really have it all.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:19 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
This thread is almost perfect. All that we need is Vic to come in and post his “look at me” nonsense and we’ll really have it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y80MEyxLsWo