Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2015, 02:44 AM
Louisiana Downs

Default Upstart

I haven't read all the recent threads so pardon me if this has already been addressed,,, but what do you guys (and gals!) think of Upstart? He scored a big figure and a big win yesterday for sure! I'm just beginning to look into this year's Derby probables/possibles/etc. Been busy with some health problems plus I'm *still* celebrating Ohio State Football!!
Old 01-25-2015, 02:53 AM
Louisiana Downs

Yes, I realize it's three forty something in the morning!! I'm a night shifter so this is my afternoon!!!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Fairgrounds

I thought he looked pretty good. It'll be interesting to see how much better he gets. That's the great thing about this time of the year. You never know how good these three-year-olds are going to get.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Steve Byk

Upstart is clearly the most complete horse to this point of the crop. Turns in one accomplished performance after another and Saturday was an excellent step forward showing progress from 2. Violette has to be happy with the audible call to run Saturday off the huge work. Long way to go into Classic Season, but the leader in the clubhouse.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Louisiana Downs

Thanks for your insight guys! I know he is by Flatter, but how is he bred on the dam side?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by largo1 View Post
Thanks for your insight guys! I know he is by Flatter, but how is he bred on the dam side?
http://bit.ly/1CHEQdO

I would say speed oriented on bottom, though his broodmare sire did win the Belmont.

Last edited by Indian Charlie : 01-25-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Suffolk Downs

Here is the pedigree profile I did for him after his 2nd in the Champagne Stakes last October. Nicely bred colt. His Champagne was very impressive (he was the only horse making up ground on Daredevil) and he got head bobbed for third running from the widest post in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile. I like him a lot.

http://regalbloodlines.com/2014/10/0...r-old-upstart/
Old 01-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Upstart is clearly the most complete horse to this point of the crop. Turns in one accomplished performance after another and Saturday was an excellent step forward showing progress from 2. Violette has to be happy with the audible call to run Saturday off the huge work. Long way to go into Classic Season, but the leader in the clubhouse.
Spot on. And on a personal note I'd love to see another NY-bred win a Derby. I'm rooting for him.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Washington Park

Me too Ateam. These 3 YO's are like 17 YO kids. One day they are 5'8" and 135 lbs and a month later they are 6'4" and 230 lbs. Horses, like kids, grow in spurts. They also mature in spurts.

That's what is fun to watch. Where was Cal Chrome on our radar this time last year ? Where was Orb the year before ?

All great stuff to watch horses get good.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM

On a related note, does anyone know where Bustin It is? He was a really good 2nd to Upstart at Saratoga in August and while he's not at all bred to be a classic contender, he had the look of a very nice NY-bred sprinter.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
On a related note, does anyone know where Bustin It is? He was a really good 2nd to Upstart at Saratoga in August and while he's not at all bred to be a classic contender, he had the look of a very nice NY-bred sprinter.
No works listed, as I'm sure you've checked.

The most recent thing I've found on him said he was scratched from a race due to a cough..

http://www.drf.com/news/good-luck-gu...eders-futurity
Old 01-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
No works listed, as I'm sure you've checked.

The most recent thing I've found on him said he was scratched from a race due to a cough..

http://www.drf.com/news/good-luck-gu...eders-futurity
Thanks. Hopefully he'll be back in training soon.