Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Hollywood Park

Default The Day Horse Racing Died

That's what my wife said to me when the numbers ceased flashing and 7 was no longer on the board. And I found it impossible to formulate an argument.

This week is Derby week. The eyes of the world are upon our sport. A sport that is hurting like it has never hurt before. Just months removed from the Santa Anita travesties, we have Derby 2019. It will forever be remembered for the only Derby to have a disqualification of the winner. After this chaos it will NEVER happen again, at least as long as I am alive.

Each and every interviewer this week found a way to inquire about what had occured over the winter months at Santa Anita. And each interviewee, responded "racing has been through tough times, and it will get through this". And I believed them. What occurred out west is tragic. Racing has taken measures to assure the public it was doing all it could to rectify the situation. And I did believe the public could get past it.

May 4, 2019. A horse with zero pedigree, (sure, his sire won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, but has anyone ever seen a horse by New Year's Day in the PP's before Maximum Security? The Stallion Register page doesn't even have any of the tabs that most stallions do. Not even a photo) is favored in the Derby. He's a horse that debuted for a $16,000 tag, and he is favored in the Derby! He is undefeated heading into the Derby! He's not a Baffert or a Pletcher. He's an underdog and has the profile of a contender the public just loves to support.

Maximum Security WINS! He was the fastest horse. He set the fractions and was moving best at the end of the 10 furlongs. And we all know what happened after that.

Or do we? Tirico, Moss and Bailey seemed content with the DQ. Even our beloved Andy Serling is defending the ruling. But here is the problem. On the day where more people bet on horse racing than any other day of the year. And because Maximum Security likely had more money bet on him than any other horse. And because so many people bet on the Derby that do not normally bet on horse racing. You have the perfect storm whereas there are more people turned off to the sport today than ever before. Because instead of having a story of an underdog striving for greatness, we have a story of how the best horse in the race, won the race, yet finished 17th, And there was really no explanation given because as is normally the case, the network had to move on.

We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot in this sport. This was a joke. And it will not be forgotten any time soon. Next time you see Angel Cordero, ask him if people have forgotten this yet? Almost 40 years later.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...27&action=view
Old 05-04-2019, 10:53 PM
Keeneland

So dramatic...

It was a foul. When everyone sobers up tomorrow it’ll be more clear.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:04 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
So dramatic...

It was a foul. When everyone sobers up tomorrow it’ll be more clear.
Hey I’m drunk now and it was bad call 😀
Old 05-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuvForPletch View Post
That's what my wife said to me when the numbers ceased flashing and 7 was no longer on the board. And I found it impossible to formulate an argument.

This week is Derby week. The eyes of the world are upon our sport. A sport that is hurting like it has never hurt before. Just months removed from the Santa Anita travesties, we have Derby 2019. It will forever be remembered for the only Derby to have a disqualification of the winner. After this chaos it will NEVER happen again, at least as long as I am alive.

Each and every interviewer this week found a way to inquire about what had occured over the winter months at Santa Anita. And each interviewee, responded "racing has been through tough times, and it will get through this". And I believed them. What occurred out west is tragic. Racing has taken measures to assure the public it was doing all it could to rectify the situation. And I did believe the public could get past it.

May 4, 2019. A horse with zero pedigree, (sure, his sire won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, but has anyone ever seen a horse by New Year's Day in the PP's before Maximum Security? The Stallion Register page doesn't even have any of the tabs that most stallions do. Not even a photo) is favored in the Derby. He's a horse that debuted for a $16,000 tag, and he is favored in the Derby! He is undefeated heading into the Derby! He's not a Baffert or a Pletcher. He's an underdog and has the profile of a contender the public just loves to support.

Maximum Security WINS! He was the fastest horse. He set the fractions and was moving best at the end of the 10 furlongs. And we all know what happened after that.

Or do we? Tirico, Moss and Bailey seemed content with the DQ. Even our beloved Andy Serling is defending the ruling. But here is the problem. On the day where more people bet on horse racing than any other day of the year. And because Maximum Security likely had more money bet on him than any other horse. And because so many people bet on the Derby that do not normally bet on horse racing. You have the perfect storm whereas there are more people turned off to the sport today than ever before. Because instead of having a story of an underdog striving for greatness, we have a story of how the best horse in the race, won the race, yet finished 17th, And there was really no explanation given because as is normally the case, the network had to move on.

We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot in this sport. This was a joke. And it will not be forgotten any time soon. Next time you see Angel Cordero, ask him if people have forgotten this yet? Almost 40 years later.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...27&action=view
Wow. I’ve never seen that before. So much has changed in this
game. I’m sober now and it’s still a bad call. They chased a lot of people away
from the game. This is the second time I’ve seen a winner booed
in the past year. Mike Smith and connections on Travers Day and now the Derby.
This will be talked about for a long time.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Detroit Race Course

Should I sell my stocks and open up the bunker today?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Aqueduct

Best part is the claim was filed by the horse that was NOT even touched. Its like 4 cars got in a crash and some car that was there(but not involved) sues for pain and suffering
Old 05-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
Best part is the claim was filed by the horse that was NOT even touched. Its like 4 cars got in a crash and some car that was there(but not involved) sues for pain and suffering
Jon Court on Long Range Toddy also claimed foul.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Turf Paradise

Default Correct call was made

Quote:
Jon Court on Long Range Toddy also claimed foul.
The correct call was made. Plenty of video support for it. The racing world is lucky a catastrophe did not happen as Mark Casse and Kent Desormeaux have said. If you want to challenge the transparency of the stewards in KY and what they didn't do that's a different kettle of fish.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:18 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefrank View Post
The correct call was made. Plenty of video support for it. The racing world is lucky a catastrophe did not happen as Mark Casse and Kent Desormeaux have said. If you want to challenge the transparency of the stewards in KY and what they didn't do that's a different kettle of fish.

The stewards did the right thing, and I'm proud of Mr. West that he's taking reasonable means to do right by himself and his horse without losing sight of sportsmanship. It's a real privilege to have owners like him in horse racing. I feel terrible for Bill Mott getting his Derby like this. I think he's relieved that the right thing was done and would've felt his horse should come down if the shoe'd been on the other foot. Not that he wouldn't have been upset, but he'd have understood as I suspect Mr. West will when he's seen everything. He said as much earlier.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:13 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefrank View Post
But the stewards can't claim they are following "RULES" when this happens in almost every race and in the TC/BC races horses clip legs/bump as soon as they leave the gate OR imped lanes of other horses when they come from the 12 to the rail
Old 05-06-2019, 07:41 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
But the stewards can't claim they are following "RULES" when this happens in almost every race and in the TC/BC races horses clip legs/bump as soon as they leave the gate OR imped lanes of other horses when they come from the 12 to the rail
This doesn’t happen in almost every race.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 AM
Belmont Park

I thought about the DQ for a whole hour which is about 55 minutes longer than usual. disclosure: the DQ benefitted me a 5 dollar Oaks Double WHOOPIE

Racing isn't dying because of the DQ it is dying because Zenyatta never saved it, It's Zenyatta's fault.

This mellow dramatic drivel over a DQ that IMO could or could not have been called and still be OK is typical over the top Racing nonsense. The KD is just one race, turn the page.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:55 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
This doesn’t happen in almost every race.
Really? Then why do people hate the #1 Post in the Derby every year? Nothing to do with 2/3/4 interfering with #1 Lane and him getting pinched back?

Why do front runners hate getting 19/20? Because they have to cut across 10 horses to get the rail
Old 05-06-2019, 09:00 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Really? Then why do people hate the #1 Post in the Derby every year? Nothing to do with 2/3/4 interfering with #1 Lane and him getting pinched back?

Why do front runners hate getting 19/20? Because they have to cut across 10 horses to get the rail
You got DQ’d. Sorry.

But making up stuff isn’t going to put that money in your pocket.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:

Post links to three races in the last two month where this happened on a turn.
Try apples to apples, not fruit salad.

(Jeopardy theme playing........)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:06 AM
Flemington

Saturday would've been the day racing died if War of Will went down starting a chain reaction. It would have been a tragic doomsday situation. I can't even imagine what the fallout would have been nationally. Thankfully, War of Will stayed up and everyone came home safe. If anything, I think this strengthened racing, people are talking about the sport today and not using the words, drugs and death. Non racing people also got to see the possible payouts if you put the puzzle together correctly. So in my opinion, racing didn't die this past Saturday, it got stronger.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Saturday would've been the day racing died if War of Will went down starting a chain reaction. It would have been a tragic doomsday situation. I can't even imagine what the fallout would have been nationally. Thankfully, War of Will stayed up and everyone came home safe. If anything, I think this strengthened racing, people are talking about the sport today and not using the words, drugs and death. Non racing people also got to see the possible payouts if you put the puzzle together correctly. So in my opinion, racing didn't die this past Saturday, it got stronger.
Couldn't agree more. Well said.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:45 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Agreed on all, but the attention the game is getting will be very short-lived once Country House runs 3rd or 4th in the Preakness.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Agreed on all, but the attention the game is getting will be very short-lived once Country House runs 3rd or 4th in the Preakness.
At least they are talking, even if its only for two more weeks.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Santa Anita

Quote: