Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
This was literally coming through the last turn, not in the stretch, and not affecting the outcome of the race....would you feel the same if they bumped out of the gate?
I don’t agree it didn’t affect War of Will. I don’t care what Gaffilione says.

I’d love to see more DQs for more gate fouls.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 PM
The Curragh

If I bet MS I’m so much more pissed at Saez than the stewards.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Oriental Park

Probably deserved to be brought down. He not only impacted War of Will but possibly Long Range Toddy as well.

For a while, I thought he wouldn’t come down because I’ve seen worse stay up and because it’s the derby. But I can’t really object to it. I also had a wager on country house to win...so I’m a little biased. The biggest reason I honestly thought the only reason he wouldn’t come down is because of it being the derby. Normal race? Id expect him to come down.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Narragansett Park

This will require watching the replays about a dozen more times to understand what happened to my choices during the race (5-8-16), but there are some facts on which we have to agree:

[1] Maximum Security came out from the 2-path to the 5-path heading into the stretch.

[2] War of Will was throwing his legs trying to avoid the leader and actually placed his left front hoof between the legs of Maximum Security in the 4-path.

[3] Maximum Security dove from the 5-path back to the 2-path and tightened the path of Code of Honor on the rail.

At the end of the arguing, Maximum Security was all over the track. As horse players, this community should be damned grateful that War of Will did not go down as it would have taken at least five others down.

Forget about the horses and jockeys which is everso important, but can you imagine the media outrage that would follow from the casual observer?

It is time for the Kentucky Rodeo to return to a reasonable horse race. This 20 horse attack needs to be rethought. Exciting? Sure. About time to enforce straight lanes for all participants.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Belmont Park

Well Steve is happy this will make for great radio
Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I don’t agree it didn’t affect War of Will. I don’t care what Gaffilione says.

I’d love to see more DQs for more gate fouls.
You are a seasoned horseplayer whose opinion I respect greatly. I simply ask you watch this race again. WoW was never winning this race.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
You are a seasoned horseplayer whose opinion I respect greatly. I simply ask you watch this race again. WoW was never winning this race.
I agree he wasn’t winning. But he was affected.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:46 PM
Gulfstream Park

I’m overseas, so I was watching the Churchill in-house feed. Only after Saez’s post-race interview (~2 mins after they hit the wire) did the objection sign light up. Travis Stone says objection 2nd vs 1st. No mention of stewards inquiry. I was confused, since there was nothing obvious on the pan shot. I then sat there for 15 minutes watching an audio-less feed showing replays. Watching over and over again 7 vs 20. Thinking, well maybe 7 floated 20 a little wide but 20 had his chance and was clearly second-best. Eventually, numbers come off graphics, 20 placed first and 7 off the screen. The first thing I’m thinking is did they forget to punch the 20 into the 2nd spot after the DQ? I had NO idea they were looking at something else. For the entire duration of the stewards reviewing footage, not once was there any mention of them looking at something other than 7 vs 20. No flashing of the inquiry sign. No video of a jockey other than Saez or Prat speaking on the phone. No one mentioning on the feed that stewards were looking at something other than the objection. THIS is the problem. Whether the horse(s) affected lost their placing chance is debatable enough in itself, let alone doing so when they weren’t “officially” doing so.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Yearling

Full disclosure. I was live in the Pick-4 on two tickets with the 7. It's my worst beat ever and I think it was a bullshit takedown. I'll look at it tomorrow with a little clearer head but maaaaaan that's a tough beat.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:57 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
As long as I’ve been watching racing, which is over 30 years, that has never been the standard for a dq. The question is did he cost War of Will a placing? Forget whether he bothered Country House. That’s completely irrelevant. It’s irrelevant whether or not War of Will could have won.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-04-2019, 07:57 PM
Cahokia Downs

Oh man...it is 100% a bullshit take down. And I fell bad for you. But **** that guy. I am glad they took him down. It’s bullshit when the game is compromised at this level. Can’t wait to play Game Winner back.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Cahokia Downs

I had two pk4 also. Its going to take awhile to put this in to past. I'm sure I be ready to play next Saturday.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Cahokia Downs

I'm glad they took this piece of **** horse down...**** him and **** that horse...
Old 05-04-2019, 08:06 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITF View Post
I'm glad they took this piece of **** horse down...**** him and **** that horse...
**** you and the horse you rode in on
Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Cahokia Downs

Yesterday was very frustrating. I combed over that Oaks field for hours and never once came up with the scenario that played out. I was angry that Serengeti Empress was able to control an easy pace and win. I was so pissed off. I had been alive to a Pick 4 to 8 horses, none of which were Serengeti, so I lost. And I was pissed.

Then I saw Tom Amoss's celebration. I forgot about my personal, small financial loss and was so happy for a man and his family. That was awesome. That was what horse racing is all about it.

Fast forward twenty four hours. The winning trainer didn't even seem to care that he won (I'm sure this isn't entirely true) but it was like he knew he was going to be taken down. I never saw a celebration at all. The takedown was 50/50 and it feels like they only took the horse down because the trainer is known for his "Unorthodox" style. I don't agree with the take down. But I am so glad they took that horse down. I don't know if Jason Servis is a cheater. But it sure seems like he is. I'm glad they took his horse down.

Juxtapose Tom Amoss winning the oaks verse Jason Servis winning the derby. It is all you need to know. It's ridiculous how one reacted to the other. It's like one of them knew they had over stepped their role as a ****ing cheater. **** him. I have never been so glad for a bullshit takedown in my life. **** that guy and **** horse racing.

Game Winner will win the Preakness...easy...
Old 05-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Sam Houston

I see they placed MS 17th. I agree with the DQ, but behind WOW not Long Range Toddy. I think the interference was undeniable and did impact WOW. Maybe LRT, but that's questionable.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
As long as I’ve been watching racing, which is over 30 years, that has never been the standard for a dq. The question is did he cost War of Will a placing? Forget whether he bothered Country House. That’s completely irrelevant. It’s irrelevant whether or not War of Will could have won.
I'd think you'd have to agree this is an oddly curious place to enforce such an arbitrary, subjective decision. Ms came out - IN THE TURN - 2 paths over a sloppy track..I've literally seen this movie 3 times a day at Aqueduct without even a blink of an eye.

It's the Kentucky Derby, Dude. There's 20 frigging horses. C'mon, you've got better than this.

Last edited by Rudeboyelvis : 05-04-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Neglected the conditions thereof
Old 05-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Delaware Park

I've been racing in 16 other countries and the likelihood of the #7 being disqualified is next to nil.

The reason for that is very simple, many of those jurisdictions have racing on tracks that are undulating and uneven, which is exactly what CD was today - uneven. With the amount of rain it took, it was impossible for the track to be even throughout. In the far turn, it was apparant that the #7 was not getting a hold of the track and did bare out at the apex, slightly impediing the #1 The #20 was not impacted by the contract at all. Saez has his stick in his right hand and it is very likely that due to the uneven nature of the track and that the centripital force of the turn caused him to bare out.

Both the #1 and the #20 had slightly over a quarter of a mile to run down the #7 in the stretch. Each were given a fair opportunity to win the race, but they could not. The #7 was clearly the fastest horse, even drawing away in the last 100 yards or so. I would be curious to know how much consideration the stewards gave to the state of the track in making their decision. If CD issues steward reports, I would be interested in reading this one.

Sadly, their decision makes racing in the US look like a "clown show" and it's not as if we haven't had/have enough problems as it is. It's no wonder that no one new wants to get involved in the sport when they see the travesty that was perpetrated today.

Simply put, horses run in races to determine who is the fastest. Normally, the fastest horse is the winner. Unfortunately, that didn't happen today.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I'd think you'd have to agree this is an oddly curious place to enforce such an arbitrary, subjective decision. Ms came out - IN THE TURN - 2 paths...I've literally seen this movie 3 times a day at Aqueduct without even a blink of an eye.

It's the Kentucky Derby, Dude. There's 20 frigging horses. C'mon, you've got better than this.
I agree 100% with you and King Glorious. To get taken down for something that happens on the turn, you usually have to totally butcher someone. This was not that big of a deal and may not have even cost anyone a placing. Not to mention that in the Derby they usually won't take you down for anything, let alone a borderline foul. I can't believe they took this horse down.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanman View Post
I've been racing in 16 other countries and the likelihood of the #7 being disqualified is next to nil.

The reason for that is very simple, many of those jurisdictions have racing on tracks that are undulating and uneven, which is exactly what CD was today - uneven. With the amount of rain it took, it was impossible for the track to be even throughout. In the far turn, it was apparant that the #7 was not getting a hold of the track and did bare out at the apex, slightly impediing the #1 The #20 was not impacted by the contract at all. Saez has his stick in his right hand and it is very likely that due to the uneven nature of the track and that the centripital force of the turn caused him to bare out.

Both the #1 and the #20 had slightly over a quarter of a mile to run down the #7 in the stretch. Each were given a fair opportunity to win the race, but they could not. The #7 was clearly the fastest horse, even drawing away in the last 100 yards or so. I would be curious to know how much consideration the stewards gave to the state of the track in making their decision. If CD issues steward reports, I would be interested in reading this one.

Sadly, their decision makes racing in the US look like a "clown show" and it's not as if we haven't had/have enough problems as it is. It's no wonder that no one new wants to get involved in the sport when they see the travesty that was perpetrated today.

Simply put, horses run in races to determine who is the fastest. Normally, the fastest horse is the winner. Unfortunately, that didn't happen today.