Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2019, 01:00 AM
Santa Anita

Default NBC Sports - Oaks?

Okay this is ridiculous. They didn't put up racing coverage of their last major preps aired on NBC Sports and I thought there was some licensing issue. I dunno, I just figured there was something going on I was unaware of. They always put it up normally. Now they've had all evening and not put up their Oaks/pre-Derby coverage *and* there's a featured piece of a couple minutes long about how horses can die sometimes and humans can fail them, then they cite Santa Anita.

That's when I realized it was 2.5 min not 2.5 hrs, and clicked off that lil think piece. Why feature that and not the racing? Some sort of PETA-y behavior on their part? What's with this? Is there an obligation to show it live contractually but they won't draw more heat than necessary and put the stuff up online? I didn't record this because I expected to be able to come home and watch it on the NBC Sports app. They've had multi-platform exposure before. Is this damage control?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:21 AM
Detroit Race Course

Terrible coverage, as usual for NBC.
Racing's biggest day ans they air not once, but twice, a piece about horses dying on the track

WT????

Who runs NBC, Joe Drape?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Racing's biggest day ans they air not once, but twice, a piece about horses dying on the track

WT????

Who runs NBC, Joe Drape?
I thought it was a bit strange. Was it strategic to show that the industry is taking care of things? I have to admit - I didn’t watch the segment.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:27 PM
Santa Anita

I feel like I had to sit through it three times after that app feature I clicked on. I still think their Oaks lack of coverage on the app/website is related to the situation at Santa Anita somehow, or activists or something. It's just too coincidental to not have that up but then put the SA piece you plan on airing on tv later.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:30 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post

WT????

Who runs NBC, Joe Drape?
Nah if Joe Drape ran NBC, it'd be all about alleged doping. That's his pre-TC go to.

I did think their coverage of the interference was well done. It really let you go from the natural position of most fans who didn't see the problem to working it out and eventually concluding what happened. Nice angles from behind and to the side. I will also say, no Tara and Johnny this time that I saw. That ought to please some folks. I don't mind them, but I know they really irk if you're not into the pageantry stuff.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:02 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Whoever runs NBC, they have no clue whatsoever.