Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Fairgrounds

The jockey agent is the best!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Hialeah Park

Two obervations.

Gary Stevens plays an awesome role.

Jerry couldnt play cards to save his life. Next time he gets it in on top will also serve as his first.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
Luxor Las Vegas

Attachment 1901
This image was on the news tonight when they were talking about a legionnaires outbreak at the hotel.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Even right-wing talk show host Michael Savage weighed in (negatively) on it last night. He complained that it was just another "Hollow-wood" creation of aging west coast morally bankrupt hippies, and featuring a couple of past their prime actors totally miscast. He did take a couple of calls from authentic-sounding race track guys from New York who tried to fill him in on what the game is all about.

Ocala Mike
Is there anything that this idiot even likes? He complains about everything. He is a walking hypocrite.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
This image was on the news tonight when they were talking about a legionnaires outbreak at the hotel.
Tragic.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Ocala Mike

Default Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter11 View Post
Is there anything that this idiot even likes? He complains about everything. He is a walking hypocrite.
I listen to him, not for his politics, but because he and I were schoolmates at Jamaica High School and Queens College in New York during the late 50's and early 60's.

I would say he likes, not necessarily in this order, boating around SF Bay, his two dogs, good food and wine, and (especially) himself. Not so much a hypocrite as a narcissist.

Ocala Mike
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
I listen to him, not for his politics, but because he and I were schoolmates at Jamaica High School and Queens College in New York during the late 50's and early 60's.

I would say he likes, not necessarily in this order, boating around SF Bay, his two dogs, good food and wine, and (especially) himself. Not so much a hypocrite as a narcissist.

Ocala Mike
Michael Weiner (Savage) is an opportunist who will be or say whatever makes the most money/ratings.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:31 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter11 View Post
Michael Weiner (Savage) is an opportunist who will be or say whatever makes the most money/ratings.
Isn't that true for most radio/TV "hosts"?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:

Ocala Mike
He's a piece of s.hit.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

I still think Luck would have had a much higher ceiling as a show if it would have been set in the late 1800's when the takeout rates were under 5%, when horse bettors made absolute fortunes, when horse bettors dated the best actresses from plays, when the press frequently wrote about them in the papers, and when a few of the more notorious ones did crazy sh!t all the time.

Not that it detracts any from the show -- but you have a guy who lost his last dollar playing poker the night before, he's broke, and he shows up at the track with a napkin that has a $3,240 pick six play on it.

As for the $3,240 play on the napkin... it's 3 by 1 by 4 by 5 by 3 by 9

He singles a horse off of a 2-year layoff that went off at more than 12/1 odds even though his own trainer bet $3,000 to win on him.

Next time there's a big pick six carryover somewhere -- try that -- show up, tell people you don't have any money on you, but give them a 3K + Pick 6 play with a double digit longshot singled.

The guys who made fortunes betting horses in the late 1800's -- that would translate to fortunes worth tens of millions of dollars today -- they did it without any luck. They did it in a time when horse racing was one of the three major sports in New York along with Baseball and Boxing ... and in some big cities outside of New York, horse racing was bigger than any other sport.

Seemed like it would have been such a perfect fit for Milch -- because Deadwood was 1870's in about the same time range as the start of the goldenest of golden eras for the horse bettor. And an era when some real shady, violent, and interesting stuff did happen in horse racing. There will never be another person assosicated with horse racing who is even 1/100th as intersting as Plunger Walton.

All beside the point -- it takes nothing away from Luck. The days of horse bettors having national and even international celebrity are over. The racing is at least more honest and tightly regulated now... but that doesn't suit the time peroid for a drama series.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:02 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
Isn't that true for most radio/TV "hosts"?
No, MOST actually believe in the lunacy they spew out.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Steve Byk

Chicago Tribune with a review suggesting dubious viewers to stick with it..
Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Sunshine Park

For the "newbie" a nice glossary of terms also in the article.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Coach Pants

Watched both episodes. MEHHHHHH. Sorry don't like it at all. I was contemplating putting cholula in my eyes when the gamblers were on screen.

And what's with the pro-America nonsense in both episodes? Like there isn't horse racing anywhere else. Boo.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
Watched both episodes. MEHHHHHH. Sorry don't like it at all. I was contemplating putting cholula in my eyes when the gamblers were on screen.

And what's with the pro-America nonsense in both episodes? Like there isn't horse racing anywhere else. Boo.
I noticed the "America" stuff too, but I think that is leading more to the idea of the "american dream" than patriotism. The idea that with hard work, perseverance, and a little luck... a person can get rich in this country.
Examples being Turo Escalante- immigrant who goes from selling carrots to top horse trainer. The jockeys, the gamblers, and I imagine Ace are going to be from humble beginnings as well. Think Horatio Alger more than Reagan.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Hollywood Park

Just watched the pilot. A gritty episode set against the beauty of Santa Anita. My late friend used to say that the track is a Disneyland for adults. I found it fascinating and can't wait for more.

Last edited by richard : 02-03-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtothewhip View Post
I noticed the "America" stuff too, but I think that is leading more to the idea of the "american dream" than patriotism. The idea that with hard work, perseverance, and a little luck... a person can get rich in this country.
Examples being Turo Escalante- immigrant who goes from selling carrots to top horse trainer. The jockeys, the gamblers, and I imagine Ace are going to be from humble beginnings as well. Think Horatio Alger more than Reagan.
I think this is spot-on, and I would venture that, particularly with the gamblers, the American fantasy of "get rich quick" will be explored. It sure seems from the scenes from upcoming episodes, that for the winners of the Pick-6, things are going to get a lot worse.

Makes me think of the old saying, "Behind every great fortune, there's a great crime."

And I guess the season will end just in time for Game of Thrones, so win all around.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post

I just watched the 2nd episode and thought is was TERRIFIC. In this kind of format it takes more than a few shows to establish and get to know characters. By the end of the first season and into next year I think this show is going to be a huge hit. Hope so!!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Ocala Mike

Default Luck

What Vic said; characters are being developed nicely, and I'm sure the plot elements will all start coming together.

Ocala Mike
Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Belmont Park

They need subtitles.

Between Nick Nolte grunting his lines like he permanently constipated, and the Escalante character, it's impossible to understand what the hell is even being said.