Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Hmmm... No spewing or vitriol about McLaughlin based on this? Stunning. Only seems to confirm that there is a demarcation of sorts about who is villainous in the taking of edges...
Do we have to be on "automatic" vitriol? That's been the norm. Can't we wait until plasma levels come back at least before crucifying the guy? See if levels support raceday administration that absolutely justifies crucifying?

Big difference between Pletcher's "whiff" mepivicaine positive and the high levels of multiple Assmussen offenses. They are not the same. They both do not deserve the same spewing and vitriol.

That's where the difference lays for me. Not in the name or previous rep as you assume.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
My win % has far more to do with my willingness to actually run horses and the distinct lack of talent of most of said horses than it does about drugs. It has been pretty common knowledge that they were giving something to the horses on the way to the paddock. There are a few on this board who I told this to years ago.
How do they hide the nebulizer for this drug? It has no efficacy when given orally or when absorbed through the mucus membranes (lets say they place it in the mouth).

If this is the drug, they are nebulizing as close to walkover to the pre-race holding as possible (as the drug effect is so short). I can only think they would be trying to give COPD horses an advantage after their pre-race clenbuterol withdrawal, but it sure wouldn't be much with this.

BTW, this drug has been shown not to have any change on exercise ability. It's not much alone.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Randwyck

These discussions are circular at best for a variety of reasons. Let me preface my comments by saying I am defending no one. Period. I am in this for the sport, for the game that I am passionate about.

So, you have the label of "cheater" -- Dutrow being mentioned here. You want to call him a cheater, OK. Who is next? The next guy comes up positive one time, for X, is he a cheater? I'll bet to some people he is and to others he's not. I'll also bet it has something to do with "I met him and he's a nice guy" or "my friend has horses with him and says he's a super guy" and everything else along those lines. Next -- two positives? Three? The label is part of the problem here. Clenbuterol? Etorphine? Something really exotic?

With Dutrow, or some of the other "bad guys" -- there is never an excuse. Never. It's not allowed. It's a burn them at the stake mentality. But when one of the nice guys comes up positive, every excuse in the world is put forth. It's natural, we defend who we like, care about, etc. Sometimes we see the same thing with victimization.

We've seen this time and time again. Some people have asked for unform medication rules -- how about uniform prosecution, persecution, penalization or whatever else is going to happen in this sport?

Eric
Old 11-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Simply a high winning percentage should not earn a trainer allegations of cheating,
It does in the world of horse handicappers. Some don't even have to see real horses or watch any races, they can tell by sheet numbers.

(If only sheet numbers were that accurate ... we'd all have a much higher win percentage
Old 11-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Hmmm... No spewing or vitriol about McLaughlin based on this? Stunning. Only seems to confirm that there is a demarcation of sorts about who is villainous in the taking of edges...
Steve, what exactly would you expect? An uproar or uprising? Why should this be any different than when a "friend" of yours or mine, or anyone else's comes up positive or gets caught?

I agree with your point, absolutely. However, I don't think it can be a shield and sword position.

Eric
Old 11-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Putting BWS and Autrey on the same plateau is ridiculous. Simply a high winning percentage should not earn a trainer allegations of cheating, especially when you deal with the type of stock Calhoun does.

NT
I think the reality is that it does. I think owners who lose often automatically label high % winning trainers as cheaters. I see it, I hear it, first hand. I think other trainers sometimes do. And, I think handicappers often do as well. Some are right, some are wrong, and some have no idea what they are talking about.

For the most part, I still think in this business there is a "where there's smoke, there's fire" mentality.

Eric
Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
These discussions are circular at best for a variety of reasons. Let me preface my comments by saying I am defending no one. Period. I am in this for the sport, for the game that I am passionate about.

So, you have the label of "cheater" -- Dutrow being mentioned here. You want to call him a cheater, OK. Who is next? The next guy comes up positive one time, for X, is he a cheater? I'll bet to some people he is and to others he's not. I'll also bet it has something to do with "I met him and he's a nice guy" or "my friend has horses with him and says he's a super guy" and everything else along those lines. Next -- two positives? Three? The label is part of the problem here. Clenbuterol? Etorphine? Something really exotic?

With Dutrow, or some of the other "bad guys" -- there is never an excuse. Never. It's not allowed. It's a burn them at the stake mentality. But when one of the nice guys comes up positive, every excuse in the world is put forth. It's natural, we defend who we like, care about, etc. Sometimes we see the same thing with victimization.

We've seen this time and time again. Some people have asked for unform medication rules -- how about uniform prosecution, persecution, penalization or whatever else is going to happen in this sport?

Eric
Good post. 100% on.
Can you imagine if Dutrow had the kind of Saratoga meet Linda Rice did and then went as cold as a block of ice at Belmont? Love the excuses made for her too, like the lack of turf sprints at Belmont Park. As if 48 races arent enough.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Idlewild Airport

No comment on Brilliant Son Chuck? He seemed finished when he left you....
Old 11-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Good post. 100% on.
Can you imagine if Dutrow had the kind of Saratoga meet Linda Rice did and then went as cold as a block of ice at Belmont? Love the excuses made for her too, like the lack of turf sprints at Belmont Park. As if 48 races arent enough.

Thank you. This is more about mindset than it is about anything else.

A couple of years ago, Bill Mott was leading trainer at the Spa. He had a super meet, shot a really strong win % number by the end of the meet. I think he won between 25 and 30 races, with about 90 to 100 starts maybe.

Anyway, hHe strolls into Belmont and starts off with something like 0 for 20. Later is something like 1 for 25 and ends up with 2 or 3 from 30-35. I don't remember the details.

You should have heard the talk, reasons, excuses, etc.

Eric
Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
hall of fame owners? that is new.

Dutrow has been has no track record where he doesnt have medication problems. Any "theory' about his horsemanship is merely speculation often by people who have a biased view of the situation.

Saying that a guy can really train when he chooses not to cheat is hardly a resounding endorsement except in the morally bankrupt world of horseracing.
This post is truly insane.
I have no agenda.. Dutrow career is not a product of simply juicing horses. We all have seen juiced horses run we know what they look like.. I could name a few and even more then a few from alledgely squeaky clean trainers. Dutrow has had his fair share. Would A Rod still have been a great hitter without steriods? Would Ben Johnson still have been super fast? Its a performance industry not a professional law firm. It is no more or less morally bankrupt then Baseball , Football or Cycling etc.

I hope one day you enjoy the success that any hard working professional is worthy of. Clearly denying on Dutrow's tremendous success and alluded to it as DrugS Driven is quite suspect.

Again, I make absolutely no excuses for his medication violations as they are real and wrong! The fastest kid on the football team could be the fast kid with or without cheating. Dutrow got busted a few times for violating certain protocol doesn't mean he isnt brilliant.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Trick rich owners into thinking I will cheat if I want to but can really train if i choose not to cheat?
Who did you learn that from Mr Squeaky?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
I think the reality is that it does. I think owners who lose often automatically label high % winning trainers as cheaters. I see it, I hear it, first hand. I think other trainers sometimes do. And, I think handicappers often do as well. Some are right, some are wrong, and some have no idea what they are talking about.

For the most part, I still think in this business there is a "where there's smoke, there's fire" mentality.

Eric
The guy from Woodbine that trains Hollywood Hit, Terry Jordan is an example of where there was smoke there was fire, you knew something was amiss but didn't have the ammo to say it publically at the time, most knowledgable horseplayers know when something is up by watching how horses perform day in day out.

In his case his horses were winning at a ridiculous rate of 50%(maybe higher I don't have the exact % needless to say it was eye catching) up until that horse tested positive, one of the leading Trainer's at the time was Scott Farlie who was winning at a mere 20% in comparison, there is no way a Trainer should be that far ahead statistically given a genuine sampling of horses running.

Last edited by CSC : 11-24-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA

Eric
Right, I'm saying that it shouldn't. Should everyone who regularly plays Aqueduct right now believe that Mike Hushion is cheating?

It's a generalization that's made that's unfair IMO and the more it's propagated, specifically by bringing in a trainer with a clean record like was done in this thread (Calhoun), the worse it will get.

NT
Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
......maybe a softer forum crowd, with thanksgiving just around the corner.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
No comment on Brilliant Son Chuck? He seemed finished when he left you....
Brilliant Son had just won an allowance race at Keeneland when he left our barn (two weeks prior) that is hardly finished....
Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll0608
Brilliant Son had just won an allowance race at Keeneland when he left our barn (two weeks prior) that is hardly finished....
Touchy touchy...His best races were run under Kiaran, that is not a slight on Chuck at all...especially if "years of this" have been going on.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Touchy touchy...His best races were run under Kiaran, that is not a slight on Chuck at all...especially if "years of this" have been going on.
Sure as hell looked that way, especially with the badger comment of "No comment at all Chuck"
Old 11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Sure as hell looked that way, especially with the badger comment of "No comment at all Chuck"
Right Tom, you would think that. I would think if you are going to take a stance on Kiaran and say he was doing this for years, this is a horse who popped into my head as having been trained by both. If you have another example please use it. In fact as a 2 year old the horse did quite well for Chuck....I don't have the PPs at my fingertips.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
I always wanted to know the answer to this question from a Trainer like yourself Chuck, Trainers that stick within the rules....what goes on in the head of horsemen when you line up against a Aubrey Cody or Brett Calhoun horse before the gates even open? Is it one of exasperation at times...
Sure it is frustrating but I keep hoping that the dopes in charge (no pun intended) will finally bridge the gap a bit and the OWNERS who knowingly support the multiple offenders will stop accepting what really amounts to dirty money. The problem with this topic is that positive tests can widely vary in degrees of seriousness and intent yet all seem to fall into a catagory based more upon the likability factor than the revelant evidence.

Short acting bronchodialoters are not only performance enhancing but show absolute intent. These weren't mistakes. The only mistake was getting caught.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Idlewild Airport

Further, it would bother me as a trainer if someone pulls the "we did some shoeing and worming and look what happened," if I trained the horse legit....I would rather have my horses trained by Chuck than Kiaran...I guess that doesn't help your argument much.