Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Well I disagree. His record earned him that award plain and simple. But this is useless, it's been fun Bold, I'm sure we'll argue again, from your other posts I see you seem to enjoy it. Good Luck.
What? Me? Enjoy arguing?

Why ... why ... surely you have me confused with someone else.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

went back to this to see how it all ended....over 300 posts, and still remained a relatively clean argument! fantastic. good to see there can be a long (too long??) discussion that stays on topic....

something struck me tho, late in the thread, where someone questioned litf winning the award without beating open company. reminded me of all the posts about azeri getting hoty without facing males. just goes to show you that in any given year, a horse can win without meeting certain criteria that some feel should be met. there will always be 'weak' years for some divisions. consider HOY last year, ghostzapper was in the running based on one race!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
went back to this to see how it all ended....over 300 posts, and still remained a relatively clean argument! fantastic. good to see there can be a long (too long??) discussion that stays on topic....

something struck me tho, late in the thread, where someone questioned litf winning the award without beating open company. reminded me of all the posts about azeri getting hoty without facing males. just goes to show you that in any given year, a horse can win without meeting certain criteria that some feel should be met. there will always be 'weak' years for some divisions. consider HOY last year, ghostzapper was in the running based on one race!
There are some years when HOTY should be vacated as well ...

... for instance ... can you say "Favorite Trick'?

He was a nice colt ... but should he really have gotten the sport's highest award ... just for defeating Good And Tough, Dawson's Legacy, Time Limit, K.O. Punch, Case Dismissed, Dice Dancer, Nationalore, Laydown, Jess M ... and various other completely-forgotten who-theys?

Even Lost In The Fog beat better competition than that.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

of course there are also years when there should have been two awards for HOY--personal ensign should have gotten it at four, and if not for alysheba she would have! undefeated champ who beat that years champ male sprinter,gulch.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
of course there are also years when there should have been two awards for HOY--personal ensign should have gotten it at four, and if not for alysheba she would have! undefeated champ who beat that years champ male sprinter,gulch.
I can dig it.

Nobel Prizes are given to multiple recipients in the same category nearly every year ... why not Eclipse Awards too?

Vacated awards ... and multiple awards ... let's have both !!!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Jerome Park

I loved Personal Ensign as much as any horse I've ever seen but her season paled in comparison to Alysheba's. That HOY was a no-brainer.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I loved Personal Ensign as much as any horse I've ever seen but her season paled in comparison to Alysheba's. That HOY was a no-brainer.
everyone knows her story, and how her year went. it's a shame they couldn't honor her with something besides top distaffer. and yeah, alysheba had a great year--i'm certainly not knocking him by praising her! he's always been one of my faves. even named a dog after him...