Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2019, 02:31 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
I know if I was one of those trainers with a TBA next to my name, I'd be giving him a call. I'm not sure there's a better jock in the country.
Than Prat? He got outridden most of the winter by Rosario.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:45 AM
Flemington

What happened to Sueno? Thought he was in.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:43 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse View Post
What happened to Sueno? Thought he was in.
Hasn't worked in over a month (since the Lexington).
Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 AM
Havre de Grace

Everfast joins Preakness mix
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 PM
Churchill Downs

Default Derby Time ?

The winning time is listed as 2:03.02.

Is that MS time or CH time?

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...9&cy=USA&rn=12
Old 05-15-2019, 10:41 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Everfast joins Preakness mix
Well great. A Take Charge Indy colt from Calumet and Dale Romans? It'd be nice if he did well for all their sakes. I look forward to anything and everything Dale decides to utter between now and race day. It's rather a shame he's such a good trainer. He could be doing stand-up or at the very least tv commentary. Good luck, Dale!
Old 05-15-2019, 11:03 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
The winning time is listed as 2:03.02.

Is that MS time or CH time?

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...9&cy=USA&rn=12
It’s listed as 2:03.93 - but anyway, it’s Maximum Security's time.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:30 AM
Steve Byk

5/18 (PIM): PREAKNESS STAKES

1. War of Will (Casse/Gaffalione) 4-1
2. Bourbon War (Hennig/I. Ortiz) 12-1
3. Warrior's Charge (Cox/Castellano) 12-1
4. Improbable (Baffert/Smith) 5-2
5. Owendale (Cox/Geroux) 10-1
6. Market King (Lukas/Court) 30-1
7. Alwaysmining (Rubley/Centeno) 8-1
8. Signalman (McPeek/B. Hernandez) 30-1
9. Bodexpress (A. Delgado/J. Velazquez) 20-1
10. Everfast (Romans/Rosario) 50-1
11. Laughing Fox (Asmussen/Santana) 20-1
12. Anothertwistafate (Wright/J. Ortiz) 6-1
13. Win Win Win (Trombetta/Pimental) 15-1
Old 05-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Oriental Park

It’s been brutally quiet here the past two days.

Anyone have any thoughts on Warrior’s Charge? I’m not crazy about the pedigree with Munnings as the sire...but his last race was a really nice race. I’ve got to think he’s at least got a chance to hit the board.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post

Anyone have any thoughts on Warrior’s Charge? I’m not crazy about the pedigree with Munnings as the sire...but his last race was a really nice race. I’ve got to think he’s at least got a chance to hit the board.
Reminds me of Bernardini - perhaps more about Castellano and the couple of wins coming in than the running style - Bernardini had already showed signs of being able to come off the pace.

I would leave him off at your own risk!

The obvious questions are the pace scenario (who gets the lead tomorrow) and whether or not he can get the extra furlong....
Old 05-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

if he could get the lead ala Oxbow he may be a player but I don't see a 48+ half in this race....Im thinking thats going to be Market King's plan. Im hoping that Anothertwist comes out of the gate gunning for position along with a few others and they keep it up on the backstretch. I'll probably lose but my primary players will be WOW, Bourbon War, and Owendale, Im off Improbable so again, I will probably lose.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Havre de Grace

I think that Jose Ortiz is gonna send Anothertwistafate no matter what they tell him.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
I think that Jose Ortiz is gonna send Anothertwistafate no matter what they tell him.
Yep...I agree
Old 05-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
if he could get the lead ala Oxbow he may be a player but I don't see a 48+ half in this race....Im thinking thats going to be Market King's plan. Im hoping that Anothertwist comes out of the gate gunning for position along with a few others and they keep it up on the backstretch. I'll probably lose but my primary players will be WOW, Bourbon War, and Owendale, Im off Improbable so again, I will probably lose.
I don’t blame you. I’m mixed between tossing WOW or Improbable. Partly value based but also because I like quite a few of the new horses. I feel like WOW will get overbet on the assumption that he would have finished well if not for the foul - but I’m not so sure. Improbable is the most consistent of these horses so it’s hard for me to toss him...but he’s also running his 3rd race in 5 weeks and I wonder how much the Arkansas and Kentucky derby’s took out of him. Baffert himself does not seem overly confident in him.

I’m 100% with you on Bourbon War and Owendale. I absolutely love Owendale in this race and if he doesn’t hit the board then I won’t be cashing a ticket. All my horizontals are going to single him.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetoone View Post
Reminds me of Bernardini - perhaps more about Castellano and the couple of wins coming in than the running style - Bernardini had already showed signs of being able to come off the pace.

I would leave him off at your own risk!

The obvious questions are the pace scenario (who gets the lead tomorrow) and whether or not he can get the extra furlong....
Bernardini winning the Preakness was the weirdest experience in that we watched the race at Suffolk Downs downstairs. They showed the track feed. The pan shot that you see for every race is on all the TVs. It’s so loud you can’t hear a thing. We watch the race, bet the winner, and are ecstatic. We give my brother the tickets and roll out of there to beat the traffic since the track was jammed. Never even knew Barbaro broke down. RIP Barbaro
Old 05-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Longchamps

My two top ones for this race that I will have on tickets are Alwaysmining and Bourbon War. I wont have WOW on any tickets.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Bernardini winning the Preakness was the weirdest experience in that we watched the race at Suffolk Downs downstairs. They showed the track feed. The pan shot that you see for every race is on all the TVs. It’s so loud you can’t hear a thing. We watch the race, bet the winner, and are ecstatic. We give my brother the tickets and roll out of there to beat the traffic since the track was jammed. Never even knew Barbaro broke down. RIP Barbaro
I had Bernardini that day too. For the win and in the exacta. I was 20 years old and I think that was the biggest ticket I had ever cashed at the time. I wish I had a bigger bankroll then - I think I only cashed for $200-something total on the race.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
I had Bernardini that day too. For the win and in the exacta. I was 20 years old and I think that was the biggest ticket I had ever cashed at the time. I wish I had a bigger bankroll then - I think I only cashed for $200-something total on the race.
I remember having a hundred bucks on Bernardini to win, which was bittersweet, because I was a Barbaro fan and had bet him in the Derby. I know it looks like a redboard, but true. That was the year that the #8 won all three legs of the TC (and I didn't have Jazil in the Belmont).
Old 05-19-2019, 10:05 AM
Oriental Park

Anyone have thoughts on Owendale’s trip? I’m hearing and seeing a lot of people that think he lost too much ground going wide — but I didn’t think his trip was that bad. Maybe swung wide a little early but he’s got a running style where you want to get him clear.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Havre de Grace

Plenty of peeps were ill that he missed second by an inch.....