Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Flemington

Lost in the Fog's sad and early death hasn't yet been mentioned....

Another horse from a "move-up" trainer with otherworldly stats.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
I would NEVER wish death upon a horse....

I save those wishes for people.

In all seriousness....hearing about Saint Liam's death did not make me feel good in any way at all. I just STRONGLY disagreed with Sightseek's best moment (Jazil's Belmont)....and, though Saint Liam's sudden and early death was sad....a rational case could be made that it wasn't a bad thing for the breed...especially when you look at St. Liam's carrer both Pre and Post Dutrow Jr.
And it was a PERSONAL response, so you felt you needed to knock both me and something I personally enjoyed? Nice to meet you too. By the way, that is Wild Desert in my avatar, would you like to argue that his sudden death would be good too?

This wasn't a thread about the quality of certain horses, which I'd be the first to admit he wasn't the best of the year, but I liked him. Personally I'm not wild about Discreet Cat (who is a talented horse), but could care less that that is YOUR personal favorite moment.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
And it was a PERSONAL response, so you felt you needed to knock both me.
I never knocked you. Just disagreed.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I would NEVER wish death upon a horse....

I save those wishes for people.

In all seriousness....hearing about Saint Liam's death did not make me feel good in any way at all. I just STRONGLY disagreed with Sightseek's best moment (Jazil's Belmont)....and, though Saint Liam's sudden and early death was sad....a rational case could be made that it wasn't a bad thing for the breed...especially when you look at St. Liam's carrer both Pre and Post Dutrow Jr.
Fair enough, a rational case that it wasn't a bad thing for the breed is a little different than best moment of the year. I still don't understand why so many people are upset that Jazil busted their Belmont bets. How so many people could have left him off their tickets in a twelve furlong race when he runs between 24 and 25 seconds for every two furlongs no matter the distance still blows my mind. Of course I played all my tickets with Steppenwolfer in the top three spots so I guess I don't have much to brag about either.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 PM
oracle80

Quote:
And it was a PERSONAL response, so you felt you needed to knock both me and something I personally enjoyed? Nice to meet you too. By the way, that is Wild Desert in my avatar, would you like to argue that his sudden death would be good too?

This wasn't a thread about the quality of certain horses, which I'd be the first to admit he wasn't the best of the year, but I liked him. Personally I'm not wild about Discreet Cat (who is a talented horse), but could care less that that is YOUR personal favorite moment.
I love these guys who know so much about training who most likely couldn't put a bridle on one if there was a cash reward for doing so.
Mott got a turf mare off the same guy that Dutrow got Liam off of and her form wasn't any good either, yet she became a mutiple graded stakes winner.
He "move her up" as well? I suppose he did, but has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the guy who had those horses simply isn't very good?
Nah, couldn't be that, it doesn't fit the grand scheme of how things shoudl be huh? Mott moved up the filly because he is a classic conditioner, and the other guy did it with juice.
Flemington

Quote:
I never knocked you. Just disagreed.
Which is perfectly fine, but I don't think this was a thread designed to debate what other people enjoyed, so to target what I put was a bit odd.
Santa Anita

I don't think people are upset about Jazil. They just realize he isn't very good, and in many years would not have even been considered a Belmont contender. It is similar to Giacomo in my opinion. Both are fraudulent G1 horses who happened to be in the right spot at the right time.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Jerome Park

I bet Jazil but would tend to side with King Glorious ( who I rarely agree with ) and DrugS that his win in the Belmont Stakes was a woeful sign for the breed. He simply aint much horse....and I was touting him since before the Wood.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
I don't think people are upset about Jazil. They just realize he isn't very good, and in many years would not have even been considered a Belmont contender. It is similar to Giacomo in my opinion. Both are fraudulent G1 horses who happened to be in the right spot at the right time.
His time in the Belmont actually compares quite well to the times from the past 10-15 years. What he is is a good 12-16 furlong horse in an era that 12-16 horses get no respect while milers like Discreet Cat are revered.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Santa Anita

Do you think he would have beaten Barbaro or Bernardini at 12f? I'd even take Brother Derek against him at that distance.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Fair enough, a rational case that it wasn't a bad thing for the breed is a little different than best moment of the year. I still don't understand why so many people are upset that Jazil busted their Belmont bets.
I didn't bet Bluegrass Cat in the Belmont---so he didn't bust me.

He did however have the audacity to win a Classic race, in a year loaded with genuine star 3-year-old colts. The Belmont Stakes not having either Discreet Cat, Bernardini, Barbaro, or Sweetnorthernsaint in the field, and racing, is actually one of the "worst" moments in the '06 racing season. IMO.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Which is perfectly fine, but I don't think this was a thread designed to debate what other people enjoyed, so to target what I put was a bit odd.
I am a bit odd.....
Old 12-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I love these guys who know so much about training who most likely couldn't put a bridle on one if there was a cash reward for doing so.
Mott got a turf mare off the same guy that Dutrow got Liam off of and her form wasn't any good either, yet she became a mutiple graded stakes winner.
He "move her up" as well? I suppose he did, but has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the guy who had those horses simply isn't very good?
Nah, couldn't be that, it doesn't fit the grand scheme of how things shoudl be huh? Mott moved up the filly because he is a classic conditioner, and the other guy did it with juice.

Sands Springs was FAR better for Reinstedler than Saint Liam. Mott improved her a bit because he probably is a better trainer than Tony Reinstedler....who prior to going out on his own worked for Shug. I'm sure he never learned anything from him.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Pimlico

LITF's death and the circumstances of it were the worse by far in my opinion!! The lose of St. Liam was tough as well.

The efforts made to save Barbaro is the best story/memory of the year.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I bet Jazil but would tend to side with King Glorious ( who I rarely agree with ) and DrugS that his win in the Belmont Stakes was a woeful sign for the breed. He simply aint much horse....and I was touting him since before the Wood.
And Bob and John, Oh So Awesome or Deputy Glitters would have been much better? It was a crappy field, but I think the class of the race (as low as that class was) did indeed win. The 2nd & 3rd placed horses in the Derby ran 1-2 as they should have in that field.

Not all inspiring, but as I said, Jazil was a personal favorite of mine on the trail and therefore him winning was personally satisfying. Did I put him in a Top 10 list and not know about it? Chill guys, I just like the horse.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:41 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Sands Springs was FAR better for Reinstedler than Saint Liam. Mott improved her a bit because he probably is a better trainer than Tony Reinstedler....who prior to going out on his own worked for Shug. I'm sure he never learned anything from him.
So you look to bet on his horses every chance you get? hes one of those guys I auto toss on seeing his name. he will beat you rarely and when he does it pays like 4 bucks or less. No thanks. Mott is "PROBABLY' a better trainer than reinstedler? Probably?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats like saying Phil Mickelson is probably a better golfer than me.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Do you think he would have beaten Barbaro or Bernardini at 12f? I'd even take Brother Derek against him at that distance.
No, I think Barbaro and Bernardini would have beaten him. I think Showing Up, SNS, and Brother Derek would have been back with Bluegrass Cat though. At 12 furlongs I think he was the 3rd best in his crop which it seems to me is hardly an embarassment to have him win the Belmont.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I'd take Barbaro and Bernardini over him in a heartbeat, and he deadheated with Bro Derek at a mile and a quarter and I'd have to give the edge to Jazil at a mile and a half.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Turf Paradise

Another yet-to-be mentioned:
Horatio Nelson's Vodafone.

And just to spite Drugs, I'd put Bernardini's Travers above Discreet Cat's Cigar.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I didn't bet Bluegrass Cat in the Belmont---so he didn't bust me.

He did however have the audacity to win a Classic race, in a year loaded with genuine star 3-year-old colts. The Belmont Stakes not having either Discreet Cat, Bernardini, Barbaro, or Sweetnorthernsaint in the field, and racing, is actually one of the "worst" moments in the '06 racing season. IMO.
worse than Seek Gold?!