Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Butch Lehr on bias controversy -- Horseplayer Daily

Here's a link to a story about an interview with Butch Lehr about the track conditions on BC day.

An interesting read for sure:
http://www.horseplayerdaily.com/cat/...+columnist.htm
Old 11-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Oriental Park

Hes was probably too busy trying to scalp his Breeders Cup tickets to make the surface fair on the biggest day of racing.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 PM
eurobounce

It cracks me up when people say there was a rail bias just because the 1 horse won a few races. Street Sense took the shortest route home and was flying all the way down the backside. He passed several tired horses and he beat Quay by 10 because Quay decides to go 8 wide. Thors Echo didnt even go up the rail. He went 3 wide. Dreaming Of Anna raced 3 wide and then turned for home and then moved to the rail. However, she was the best horse in the field by far. Round Pound was trapped in behind horses. The jock wanted to move her off the rail but couldnt. She was full of horse and they the rail opened and she went on by them. Invasor, Bernardini, Asi, Quay all closed going wide.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Oriental Park

Brother Derek didnt win and he was glued to the rail. He did run big though, but he was sitting on a big run. That track was fair
Old 11-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Sheepshead Bay

When a horse coming off a huge top that was good enough to win the race, but an automatic toss coming off that top, wins, there's no doubt there's a bias...

Thor's Echo

You could also see it in the first race, when PVals horse won...
Old 11-21-2006, 12:11 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
It cracks me up when people say there was a rail bias just because the 1 horse won a few races. Street Sense took the shortest route home and was flying all the way down the backside. He passed several tired horses and he beat Quay by 10 because Quay decides to go 8 wide. Thors Echo didnt even go up the rail. He went 3 wide. Dreaming Of Anna raced 3 wide and then turned for home and then moved to the rail. However, she was the best horse in the field by far. Round Pound was trapped in behind horses. The jock wanted to move her off the rail but couldnt. She was full of horse and they the rail opened and she went on by them. Invasor, Bernardini, Asi, Quay all closed going wide.
Well just about the only guy you crack up with your "I'm so innocent yet trying to start controversy" posts is you.
A few horses won from the 1 hole?
Yeah, like 4 outta the 5 races run on dirt?
You know about as little as you did when posted under Kycherub.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Oriental Park

Oracle, did you get to read about Butch trying to scalp his BC tickets. He got in stuck in a real bad spot trying to make a few bucks
Old 11-21-2006, 12:13 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
When a horse coming off a huge top that was good enough to win the race, but an automatic toss coming off that top, wins, there's no doubt there's a bias...

Thor's Echo

You could also see it in the first race, when PVals horse won...
Point, don't matter what name he uses, once a cherub always a cherub.
Of courses hes also explained to us that Gorella's lifetime top race "took nothing out of her", that Fleet Indian wouldnt go in the BC, that Bernandini would run faster when pushed, blah blah blah. Hes a font of misinformation.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:14 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
Oracle, did you get to read about Butch trying to scalp his BC tickets. He got in stuck in a real bad spot trying to make a few bucks
Didn't read it but heard something about it. Did that really happen?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Oriental Park

Oh it happend. Butch was trying to make a few thousand and got snatched up in a big scalping conspiracy, pretty hilarious really. I was shocked he didnt get tightened up by CHD higher ups.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:23 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Well just about the only guy you crack up with your "I'm so innocent yet trying to start controversy" posts is you.
A few horses won from the 1 hole?
Yeah, like 4 outta the 5 races run on dirt?
You know about as little as you did when posted under Kycherub.
So what if the number 1 horse won. It would be one thing if all won wire to wire glued to the rail, but that didnt happen. We had a wire to wire, a presser, a stalker and a deep closer.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I'll forget that I saw Thor's Echo's name as evidence of a rail bias.

Ragozin players should visit the bulletin board for two interesting reads on the Breeders' Cup rail and biases in general. One of the two posters is Len Friedman ("Robespierrre").
Yeah Thors Echo was real evident of a rail bias. The horse had one of the top beyers and races 3 wide the entire time and there was a rail bias--simply laughable.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Sorry, I didn't really want to rehash the whole rail bias debate -- I just thought it was interesting, because so many people have groaned about the scraping of the rail that morning -- and Lehr addresses that in this interview.

It's a good read, which was mostly what I was after -- not riling everyone up again over their opinions.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I'll forget that I saw Thor's Echo's name as evidence of a rail bias.

Ragozin players should visit the bulletin board for two interesting reads on the Breeders' Cup rail and biases in general. One of the two posters is Len Friedman ("Robespierrre").

I haven't watched the race again, because my laptop is broken and I can't pull it up at work,so I can't argue if he wide he was, but he had a huge top coming in and had bounce written all over him..
Old 11-21-2006, 12:29 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Sorry, I didn't really want to rehash the whole rail bias debate -- I just thought it was interesting, because so many people have groaned about the scraping of the rail that morning -- and Lehr addresses that in this interview.

It's a good read, which was mostly what I was after -- not riling everyone up again over their opinions.
It was a very good read. Thank you for posting.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Yeah Thors Echo was real evident of a rail bias. The horse had one of the top beyers and races 3 wide the entire time and there was a rail bias--simply laughable.
This is coming from the same guy that started a thread at one time:

Fix 2yo racing, because, he claime there were no such things as allowance races for 2yo's...

You're still a clown Cherub...
Old 11-21-2006, 12:33 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
I haven't watched the race again, because my laptop is broken and I can't pull it up at work,so I can't argue if he wide he was, but he had a huge top coming in and had bounce written all over him..
You know what---sometimes a horse doesnt bounce. Have you ever thought of that. He went about 4-5 wide around Attila's Storm and Bordornaro. He then went over into the 2-3 path and kicked clear.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
This is coming from the same guy that started a thread at one time:

Fix 2yo racing, because, he claime there were no such things as allowance races for 2yo's...

You're still a clown Cherub...
What are you talking about. Everyone knows there are allowance races for 2 year olds. What do they expect, every maiden winner run in a claiming or stakes race.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
What are you talking about. Everyone knows there are allowance races for 2 year olds. What do they expect, every maiden winner run in a claiming or stakes race.
That's what we were thinking when you posted it, it was almost amazing the tenacity you defended that statement with, at least you admitted you were wrong when I told you to pull up the results of the last race at CD on the Friday after Thanksgiving in 2004...
Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Jerome Park

Not only was the rail very biased, and for you guys who dont think so I will never believe anything you post about horse racing, but the tracked sucked and took the life of Pine Island and injured Fleet Indian

Lehr should get a new job.