Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

also tho not doing so well now, ticker tape had a nice late kick also didn't she?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Les Bois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
Didn't Bailey say something after the race to the effect that he had never ridden a horse with a kick like that before or that it was some kick?

Yes he did. He said that he would sleep through the race too if he let him but when he asked him to go he didn't think a horse could get to his top speed that quick.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Bodgit
Yes he did. He said that he would sleep through the race too if he let him but when he asked him to go he didn't think a horse could get to his top speed that quick.

I loved Victory Gallop. I was soooo bummed that he didn't run in the Classic. I got tickets for my whole family to go to the Breeders Cup that year. (It was at Gulfstream) I was depressed for a week after I heard he was retiring.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:02 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
I loved Victory Gallop. I was soooo bummed that he didn't run in the Classic. I got tickets for my whole family to go to the Breeders Cup that year. (It was at Gulfstream) I was depressed for a week after I heard he was retiring.

please dont remind me of any Breeders Cups at Gulstream, all very very painful memories
Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
please dont remind me of any Breeders Cups at Gulstream, all very very painful memories

I had a great time. My mom won a nice Win bet in the classic and bought us all dinner. Remember good things about it. Forget the bad. I remember Bob Baffert waving to my husband as he walked by because my hubby shouted "go get em Bob". Bob waved to him and the crowd went crazy.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
The Curragh

another great closing kick i know to well is one from my dad when i mess up or act out of line
Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
another great closing kick i know to well is one from my dad when i mess up or act out of line
hope wasnt wearing "bends or stickers"...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
The best I ever saw was Silky Sullivan...when he fired, it was something to see! Actually, the most devastating kick belonged to Secretariat...it was just that he would use it at any point in the race (the move on the clubhouse turn in the Preakness still has folks gasping).
If we're talking about dramatic closing kicks, then this is it.....I really believe that when Afleet Alex was on his A-game that he had one of the most devastating turns of foot from the 3/8-pole to the wire...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
If we're talking about dramatic closing kicks, then this is it.....I really believe that when Afleet Alex was on his A-game that he had one of the most devastating turns of foot from the 3/8-pole to the wire...
No doubt as far as suden acceleration and obtaining top speed he had to be the best I have seen. Most of the deep closers just roll into there top closing speed but he was the true push button speed horse. Two or three strides and he was there. Amazing turn of foot. The horse in training now that shows this push button trait is Surf Cat. If they would just show him off around the country. We may never realy be able to appreciate this horse f they want venture out of Cal.

Last edited by jpops757 : 06-13-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:16 AM
top predator.

Quote:
AMEN JOEL. does anyone remember the arkanasas race from 2003 --think it was Sir Cherokee or something similar. I know the horse didn't go on but the effort was visually impressive on the day and sticks in my mind...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Randwyck

gate dancer 84 super derby, alysheba 88 big cap.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
AMEN JOEL. does anyone remember the arkanasas race from 2003 --think it was Sir Cherokee or something similar. I know the horse didn't go on but the effort was visually impressive on the day and sticks in my mind...
Yeah, that was a good race. The name was Cherokee something. I can't really remember the horse's name off the top of my head, but I remember the race clearly...

You were right. It's Sir Cherokee.

Last edited by kentuckyrosesinmay : 06-13-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:36 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

candy ride in the pc...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:42 AM
flowing tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Ghostzapper.

Take a look at the Vosburgh in 2003. He wasn't even in the picture as they are readying to turn for home and won by 6 1/2 lengths.
OK, I know this sounds weird but the race that made my hair stand on end was GZ in the King's Bishop.

He only rallied for 3rd that day but he slingshot around that field like they were suddenly thrown into reverse. Made my eyes fall out of my head and certainly put him on my radar map. AFter The Rock in the 2002 Mile (ironically another non-winning performance) that was my favorite close of all time.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 AM
flowing tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Ghostzapper's Vosburgh was awesome but he ran in an allowance race that same year, where he was left for dead at the break and closed like I have never seen any horse close. I believe this race was at Aqu or Belmont, not sure which one but it was spring/early summer.

His close in the Kings Bishop was also pretty spectacular on what may have been the biggest speed bias track of all time.
Ooops looks like you beat me to it.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowing tail
OK, I know this sounds weird but the race that made my hair stand on end was GZ in the King's Bishop.

He only rallied for 3rd that day but he slingshot around that field like they were suddenly thrown into reverse. Made my eyes fall out of my head and certainly put him on my radar map. AFter The Rock in the 2002 Mile (ironically another non-winning performance) that was my favorite close of all time.

Nice call...these were two great closing efforts...
Old 06-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Ellis Park

Kittens Joy was great to watch. Loved those powerful moves on the turf.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
flowing tail

Quote:
Nice call...these were two great closing efforts...
Hey thanks. This board seems a nice place.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Keeneland

Personally I'd have to say Unbridled. Believe he was a 2 year old and ran in like a 4 horse field in the slop at Arlington. Was last down the backstretch and alone by a furlong and came by the horses at the top of stretch like they were all standing still finishing 10 plus lengths ahead of the field.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Gulfstream Park

ill change it up a little and just list one of my fav closing kicks. was a local horse named paddys spy, always loved watchin the big old man mow em all down......did it successfully way into his elder years and not for a bottom tag either

Last edited by disappearingdan_akaplaya : 06-13-2006 at 03:14 PM.