Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
It wasn’t the ONLY problem, but it was one of them.

Surface isn’t an issue now but it was.
I think yes and no. The surface was an issue but it wasn’t because it was a bad surface. Unless you live in Southern California, it’s hard to relate to how unprecedented the amount of rain was that fell. They weren’t prepared for the conditions because the conditions were so unusual.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I think yes and no. The surface was an issue but it wasn’t because it was a bad surface. Unless you live in Southern California, it’s hard to relate to how unprecedented the amount of rain was that fell. They weren’t prepared for the conditions because the conditions were so unusual.
So what are you saying exactly?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
So what are you saying exactly?
I’m saying that there has been an extreme overreaction to an unprecedented situation. The surface was never bad, per se. It wasn’t like when they switched to synthetics and had all kinds of man made problems. The conditions were never unsafe because of man made error or negligence. The problems haven’t been the horsemen, the same horsemen that were there before and are still there now.

Perhaps some good can come from the new rules and oversights. In the end, that’s all anyone should want, a safer sport. Going after Hollendorfer does nothing towards that end.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-23-2019, 09:22 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I’m saying that there has been an extreme overreaction to an unprecedented situation. The surface was never bad, per se. It wasn’t like when they switched to synthetics and had all kinds of man made problems. The conditions were never unsafe because of man made error or negligence. The problems haven’t been the horsemen, the same horsemen that were there before and are still there now.

Perhaps some good can come from the new rules and oversights. In the end, that’s all anyone should want, a safer sport. Going after Hollendorfer does nothing towards that end.
If it snows and the roads turn icy but I decide to drive 80 mph on the highway, spin out, and wreck my car...is that caused by man made error or negligence?

Saying it rained a lot doesn’t absolve people if they continued to field races on an unsafe surface. I don’t know all the facts with Santa Anita, but just because it rained an unprecedented amount doesn’t mean there aren’t people to blame in connection with the fatalities related to the racing surface over the winter/spring.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:14 AM
Steve Byk

Occured to me this morning, how/why did Santa Anita's 'Workout Approval' system allow American Currency to drill on Saturday? Hollendorfer had to submit the gelding for the OK and they let him work. Or has that part of the 'safety initiatives' been forgotten?
Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Occured to me this morning, how/why did Santa Anita's 'Workout Approval' system allow American Currency to drill on Saturday? Hollendorfer had to submit the gelding for the OK and they let him work. Or has that part of the 'safety initiatives' been forgotten?
Bloodhorse article said he was vet scratched from a 12,500 allowance on June 16. But he was ok to breeze a few days later? That part didn't make sense to me either.

Last edited by cal828 : 06-24-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
If it snows and the roads turn icy but I decide to drive 80 mph on the highway, spin out, and wreck my car...is that caused by man made error or negligence?

Saying it rained a lot doesn’t absolve people if they continued to field races on an unsafe surface. I don’t know all the facts with Santa Anita, but just because it rained an unprecedented amount doesn’t mean there aren’t people to blame in connection with the fatalities related to the racing surface over the winter/spring.
Exactly. There are people to blame. Track management is to blame. They don’t need to blame the horsemen. They didn’t need to blame track maintenance crews. They didn’t need to overreact with these new rules and safety precautions because the ones they already had worked fine. They simply needed to halt racing until things got back to normal. Which they did. Since that point, racing and training has gone back to normal and the number of breakdowns has decreased to levels lower than other tracks comparable activity.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Exactly. There are people to blame. Track management is to blame. They don’t need to blame the horsemen. They didn’t need to blame track maintenance crews. They didn’t need to overreact with these new rules and safety precautions because the ones they already had worked fine. They simply needed to halt racing until things got back to normal. Which they did. Since that point, racing and training has gone back to normal and the number of breakdowns has decreased to levels lower than other tracks comparable activity.
You don’t think some horseman were running horses they shouldn’t have?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
If you’re referring to physically shouldn’t have been running, I think that’s been going on since the beginning of time. If you’re referring to shouldn’t have run them because the track was compromised by the weather, that’s a different subject and one that isn’t and can’t be addressed by the new rules.

I don’t understand how they put together some committee, said committee allows a horse to run, horse breaks down, and you punish the trainer. Shouldn’t this fall on the committee?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:08 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Hossy. Horsemen were being browbeaten into running. Threatened and motherphucked.

And note that there were horses on the grounds that would never have been given stalls by the previous racing department head. (Hammer).
Old 06-24-2019, 03:44 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Hossy. Horsemen were being browbeaten into running. Threatened and motherphucked.

And note that there were horses on the grounds that would never have been given stalls by the previous racing department head. (Hammer).
I’m well aware Steve. I was the first (and only) person that was telling it like it is on that other board and was told over and over again I was wrong.

TSG is a train wreck and have screwed up at every step here.

I just think threats or not, if you know your horse shouldn’t be running, you don’t run. But that’s another discussion.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:06 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:

I had a feeling it was something like that. Pressure to run.

I'm confused, Steve. On one hand, they're pressuring to fill races which sure makes it sound like they're trying to stay afloat, but Santa Anita's also worth more as a real estate venture to TSG than as a wagering one from what I understand. The conspiracy theories out there contradict the implications of urging to run so which is it? Is TSG just bad at this, flailing around like someone trying to catch farts with a butterfly net? Or is there any sincere desire on their part to tank the track/Cal racing? Are people just seeing malice where there isn't any? (Although I'm sure genuine malice exists on PETA's part).
Old 06-29-2019, 09:26 PM
Santa Anita

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ntering-horses

https://www.drf.com/news/reversal-ny...-runners?type=

Okay, I'm at a loss. I've not got intimate knowledge of his operation or the inner workings of NYRA, so can anybody explain what the heck is going on? Did they just rethink the PR of it all? Is anybody exerting pressure? I get TSG throwing him under the bus because of course they'd do that to someone right now, but NYRA? From afar I'd always heard people speak of him with esteem and as a true horseman. Are they basically 'pulling a Dutrow' unofficially and why? I've definitely heard rumors about some people as sketchy trainers that are going untouched. Are we supposed to go 'oh good, they took down that troublemaker Hollendorfer?' Is there anything about his operation to justify this?
Old 06-30-2019, 12:50 PM
Detroit Race Course

Maybe NYRA now knows something we don't.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Maybe NYRA now knows something we don't.
Or maybe they are just caving too!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 07-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Ellis Park

Default Hall of Fame Trainer

I challenge anybody to name one horse that he felt physically was not ok to run but did anyway.
I can name a thousand horses that were scratch because the trainer felt something wasn't good with the horse even though a vet said they could run!
If anybody thinks a trainer wants one of his horses to break down you don't know anything about thoroughbred horse racing or any sort of animal husbandry
Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 AM
Sunshine Park

Default Hollendorfer

Well at least now there is a motive for the potentially doctored Songbird/Beholder photo. Maybe Mr. H was not in good graces back then? I wonder what King J was doing that nobody knows about except the racing officials.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Keeneland

While I think what they have done to him is appalling...this is really dumb.

He’s a scapegoat here. Del Mar all but admitted they don’t think the potential backlash is worth it. My guess is NYRA thought the same thing.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 AM
Steve Byk

Hollendorfer files suit against Del Mar
Steve Andersen
Jul 16, 2019

DEL MAR, Calif. -- Hall of Fame trainer Jerry Hollendorfer filed a complaint in San Diego superior court earlier this week in an effort to operate a stable at the Del Mar summer meeting that begins on Wednesday.

Hollendorfer was not given stalls by Del Mar officials last week after the track and trainer held a series of meetings to discuss his participation. Del Mar’s decision occurred three weeks after Santa Anita officials told Hollendorfer to vacate his stalls on the track’s backstretch after a fourth horse in his care at that track suffered a fatal injury in training or racing since late December.

Hollendorfer relocated his stable to Los Alamitos, where he operated without impediment during the track’s three-week meeting that ended on Sunday. After he was denied stalls by Del Mar, Hollendorfer’s longtime assistant, Dan Ward, applied for stalls. Ward has four starters on Wednesday and Thursday at Del Mar.

The court action seeks a temporary restraining order, as early as this week, preventing the racetrack from denying Hollendorfer stall space or the ability to submit entries.

The California Thoroughbred Trainers association, of which Hollendorfer is a member, is a party in the lawsuit against the racetrack. Hollendorfer has been represented by attorney Drew Couto, while Darrell Vienna is representing the CTT in the case.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJake View Post
Well at least now there is a motive for the potentially doctored Songbird/Beholder photo. Maybe Mr. H was not in good graces back then? I wonder what King J was doing that nobody knows about except the racing officials.
THERE WAS NOT A DOCTORED PHOTO. STOP IT.

For God's sake. There's enough stupid in this world without adding to it.