Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Les Bois

Default Going to Derby

Going to Derby for 1st time. Have box in section 111.
I figure for later races on both days, I will need to make bets right after previous race.

For any last minute bets on horses who float up is there a chance I can get thru on my phone via Sprint or track Wifi to bet thru Twinspires.com?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-23-2019, 01:47 PM
Churchill Downs

Was able to get through to Twinspires last year and hope they are improving the service. Knowing CD, they aren't worried about the customers as much as they are worried about how to get you for a $50 to park or $15 to print your effing ticket.
For most of the day, you can make a friend at the $50 dollar windows and be ok up until Derby time. You could also make a last minute bet anywhere on the grounds 15 minutes til post of the Derby.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:36 PM
Churchill Downs

If I was ever to make it to the KD, I would just put some early bets in and enjoy the day for what it is. I wouldn't want to worry about betting, I would just want to soak it all in.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Morris Park

Will using my phone and NYRA Rewards be a problem at the track? I've never been there before.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp319 View Post
Will using my phone and NYRA Rewards be a problem at the track? I've never been there before.
Don't know if they block NYRA or other platforms on the CD wifi. You can generally use your phone if on a major carrier, but you have to remember there are 100k millennials on the infield looking at instagram all day.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:25 AM
Cahokia Downs

With 2 minutes to post the lines will be empty. How fast are you?
Old 04-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Morris Park

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
Don't know if they block NYRA or other platforms on the CD wifi. You can generally use your phone if on a major carrier, but you have to remember there are 100k millennials on the infield looking at instagram all day.
Don't know how NYRA software works when out of their service area but I know for my NJ TVG account my APP will not accept a bet outside of NEW Jersey... Not sure what NYRA does. That would be your hurdle in my mind not CD blocking WIFI to certain URL's
Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
In general, on derby day TS usually crashes at some point, it's literally the most likely outcome of the entire day. I have used them before at churchill but often get error message when i go to confirm my wager. I've actually found it easier to call it in to TS, personally. As for wagering on track, either do it right as the previous race is being run, or take your chances and hope the lines are empty as they're loading, otherwise you're looking at 15+ min. for every time you go up.

-bt-
Old 04-26-2019, 10:56 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
In general, on derby day TS usually crashes at some point, it's literally the most likely outcome of the entire day. I have used them before at churchill but often get error message when i go to confirm my wager. I've actually found it easier to call it in to TS, personally. As for wagering on track, either do it right as the previous race is being run, or take your chances and hope the lines are empty as they're loading, otherwise you're looking at 15+ min. for every time you go up.

-bt-
Can't wait to bug you to call one in for me when I spot a cold exacta being underbet.....see you Thursday brother
Old 04-29-2019, 09:58 AM
Les Bois

Thanks everybody. Can't wait to get there.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:30 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Don't know how NYRA software works when out of their service area but I know for my NJ TVG account my APP will not accept a bet outside of NEW Jersey... Not sure what NYRA does. That would be your hurdle in my mind not CD blocking WIFI to certain URL's
What can you do if out of NJ ? Can you get another ADW for betting outside NJ only, ?

Blaise Pascal
Old 04-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Bowie

This will be my 2nd derby. Last year I was surprised how empty the windows were up to the Derby. For the undercard you could make a wager easily with 5 minutes to post. They were touting a betting app that I believe was separate from Twin Spires to make bets. My partner went online with his phone and was able to make bets all day. I'll always remember that I was amazed that so many of the tellers seemed to be on the job for the first day. Ask for a part wheel or something not too complicated and they gave you a look like you were speaking a foreign language. I assumed that they would staff the windows with their most experienced people but I was wrong. That said even with the non stop rain and minor inconveniences I had a ball and this year I hope to add to the good times and stay dry.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
The NYRA Bets app uses geo location and is blocked in many states but you can still access on your phone using your internet browser. I do it frequently.

Can’t provide any insight on ability to access WiFi or LTE, etc while there.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:45 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by $bill View Post
I figure for later races on both days, I will need to make bets right after previous race.

For any last minute bets on horses who float up is there a chance I can get thru on my phone via Sprint or track Wifi to bet thru Twinspires.com?

Thanks,
Bill
If you have a VPN connection on your phone - use it and you will be good to go.

Good Luck !
Old 05-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by $bill View Post

Thanks,
Bill
Make sure you remain fashionable in your rain bag. We need quality representation on the DT.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Morris Park

Sat in Section 125. Bet on my NYRA Bets account all day,no problem at all. The betting lines weren't too bad for those betting that way. KP
Old 05-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Churchill Downs

What? ....No pics?

how do we know you were really there?