Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Oaklawn

Default Discreet Cat; a good bet against?

Could be by the sounds of this. On paper, he should jog, but they're thinking about the next race (maybe two races from now). I'll probably stay away, but these comments have me thinking about it:

Although Discreet Cat has been working steadily, Mettee cautioned that the dynamic 3-year old might not be at his best on Friday.

"I think he is still probably a few works away," Mettee said. "We just felt this was a good opportunity to run him and get him started. Seven furlongs should be a good spot to get him going."

The Jerome Breeder's Cup Handicap (gr. II), a $150,000 stakes at Belmont Park on Oct. 1, has been the long-range goal for Discreet Cat. Mettee feels Friday's race should be a perfect bridge to the Jerome.

"Win or lose, I think this race will help him for the Jerome," Mettee said. "There are some good older horses in there on Friday. This should help us move forward. We should be able to build off this race."

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=35023
Old 08-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

I can't make myself care about betting this race.. I'll just be glad to see the horse back.

Since you asked though, I think Dutrow's entry, Pletcher's invader and Rumspringa are the ones to deny in addition to DC.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Saratoga

So glad DC is entered here, but I'll be keeping an eye on Flying Pegasus as well.....

From the Sydney Morning Herald.....

Cleared for take-off: Flying Pegasus ready to launch dirt tricks campaign in US

by John Holloway
August 25, 2006

David Payne's dashing sprinter Flying Pegasus makes his long-awaited US debut at Saratoga this weekend, with his first assignment a 1400-metre race on dirt.

Now with US Hall of Fame trainer Todd Pletcher, Flying Pegasus took longer than anticipated to adjust to US surroundings and initially would not stretch out on dirt tracks. Les Samba, who selected the Fusaichi Pegasus colt as a yearling, said on Thursday the four-year-old couldn't pick up his legs in his early gallops and Pletcher switched him back to grass.

"The trainer then decided to give him another crack at handling the dirt conditions and he has improved out of sight, so much so that he is tackling 1400 metres first-up this weekend," Samba said.

Connections of Flying Pegasus sold a 50 per cent share in the colt for $1 million after he finished second in the inaugural Randwick Guineas, 1600m, last autumn behind Hotel Grand. Two starts earlier he beat Racing To Win in the Royal Sovereign Stakes at Randwick.

He was sent to the US because he could become a sought-after stallion if he reproduces his Australian form. Flying Pegasus is an impressive individual and the fact he is from a Danehill mare could be attractive to leading US studs.