Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Cunningham Racing

Default Bellamy Road fans beware:

...there will be some SIGNIFICANT news on him in the near furture....
Old 08-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Society Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
...there will be some SIGNIFICANT news on him in the near furture....

What, he's being retired?

We knew that in 2005.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Coach Pants

He was supposed to run at Calder last month. Looks like he's going to be back on the track soon. Alright!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Washington Park

Have known this news was coming for a long time. Not a surprise at all

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 08-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Society Selection

I'm still unclear as to why Steinbrenner let Ed Sexton take over.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Les Bois

What's the near 'furture'? Mink??
Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Society Selection
I'm still unclear as to why Steinbrenner let Ed Sexton take over.
So is Steinbrenner.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
He was supposed to run at Calder last month. Looks like he's going to be back on the track soon. Alright!
Bellamy Road is not coming back. He's been too unsound to even work out. He hasn't had a work in practically 2 months. There is no chance he will ever run again. They're definitely going to retire him.

One of my trainers had told me all along that there was no chance that Bellamy Road would ever make it back. He was right.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 08-25-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:05 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
Bellamy Road is not coming back. He's been too unsound to even work out. He hasn't had a work in practically 2 months. There is no chance he will ever run again. They're definitely going to retire him.

One of my trainers had told me all along that there was no Bellamy Road would ever make it back. He was right.
Running Bellamy Road in last year's Travers may get the award as the stupidest things anyone has ever done with a good horse. Although I realize there is a lot of competition for that award.

--Dunbar
Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Pimlico

I'd be shocked if it's anything but a retirement statement. Hell, even Watchmaker dropped him from his top older horse's list after being on it for nearly 9 months.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Cunningham Racing

Can't comment further on it.....something should be announced in a week or two...
Old 08-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
Running Bellamy Road in last year's Travers may get the award as the stupidest things anyone has ever done with a good horse. Although I realize there is a lot of competition for that award.

--Dunbar
I don't know about this horse being 'good'. I would say he was an above average 2nd teir horse that won't do anything at stallion, if he could even be a stallion.

Just shows you that a HUGE effort can destroy a career and all should use this for Sinister Minister...September 2nd is the day I become RICH AS BE with him being in that race. SUCKS that Brother Derek is in their though because he will be the favorite, but Sinister Minister, who will take 2nd favorite money, will not hit the board
Old 08-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
Can't comment further on it.....something should be announced in a week or two...
a week or two???????????

Old 08-25-2006, 08:58 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I don't know about this horse being 'good'. I would say he was an above average 2nd teir horse that won't do anything at stallion, if he could even be a stallion.

Just shows you that a HUGE effort can destroy a career and all should use this for Sinister Minister...September 2nd is the day I become RICH AS BE with him being in that race. SUCKS that Brother Derek is in their though because he will be the favorite, but Sinister Minister, who will take 2nd favorite money, will not hit the board
Wrong on both counts, IMO, Scav. I won't bother defending Bellamy Rd, since I will probably never have a chance to be proven correct, but your description makes absolutely no sense.

Sinister Minister has been putting up some very nice works; good enough to convince me that he is not "destroyed". Whether he can come back and win after the long layoff is another question, but I would gladly take even money that he will hit the board.

--Dunbar
Old 08-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Jerome Park

Yeah, he's basically been retired for a while now, they just haven't announced it. It's a shame.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Wrong on both counts, IMO, Scav. I won't bother defending Bellamy Rd, since I will probably never have a chance to be proven correct, but your description makes absolutely no sense.

Sinister Minister has been putting up some very nice works; good enough to convince me that he is not "destroyed". Whether he can come back and win after the long layoff is another question, but I would gladly take even money that he will hit the board.

--Dunbar
Watch Dunbar, SM might have two more races in him before he is retired, and those races will be garbage
Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

--Dunbar
I disagree. The horse was ready to run and he proved it by running a very strong race. He didn't win it not because of any physical problems but because he just ran into a better horse. But he proved he was ready to run. A worse decision would have been to run in the King's Bishop where he would have been required to go all out for 7f, a much tougher task than a 10f race where u aren't all out but for a few furlongs.

The fact is that this horse battled problems from the start. There were reasons why he got such a long break after his 2yo season and didn't start his 3yo season until late.

The lack of competition in those two spring races made Bellamy Road look like a world beater and while he was a talented horse, he was nowhere near that good. None of his speed figures, save for the Wood, were anything close to suggesting a superstar. Hell, they didn't even suggest a star. That race was a fluke performance for him, much like the one for Midway Road at Keeneland when he got that 120+ number. Just some days, it all comes together.......the track, the conditions, the competition, and Beyer's frame of mind in deciding what he wants to give a race.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I disagree. The horse was ready to run and he proved it by running a very strong race. He didn't win it not because of any physical problems but because he just ran into a better horse. But he proved he was ready to run. A worse decision would have been to run in the King's Bishop where he would have been required to go all out for 7f, a much tougher task than a 10f race where u aren't all out but for a few furlongs.

The fact is that this horse battled problems from the start. There were reasons why he got such a long break after his 2yo season and didn't start his 3yo season until late.

The lack of competition in those two spring races made Bellamy Road look like a world beater and while he was a talented horse, he was nowhere near that good. None of his speed figures, save for the Wood, were anything close to suggesting a superstar. Hell, they didn't even suggest a star. That race was a fluke performance for him, much like the one for Midway Road at Keeneland when he got that 120+ number. Just some days, it all comes together.......the track, the conditions, the competition, and Beyer's frame of mind in deciding what he wants to give a race.
You make some good points. However, the comparison to Midway Road is not one of them. Midway Road's figure came on a sloppy track, where fluke performances and huge speed figs are much more common. Bellamy Road's Wood fig was legitimate.

--Dunbar
Old 08-25-2006, 10:13 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Watch Dunbar, SM might have two more races in him before he is retired, and those races will be garbage
I'll take the over on that, Scav.

--Dunbar
Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
His bloodlines are becoming less and less fashionable ... so he may not get the best opportunity at stud.

Even so ... the breed hardly needs another source of undsoundness in its chromosome pool.