Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Morris Park

The only question is, why is it so rare to see these tumors then? (In the case of LITF everyone is totally shocked). There is no doubt in anyone's mind to many "meds" are used and to horses detriment by everyone. There is no doubt 2 year olds are pumped up by steroids, so why does this seem to be rare if it is the cause in LITF?

Some info on clenbuterol.

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-clenbuterol.asp

http://www.cas.psu.edu/docs/CASDEPT/...qui/08981.html
Old 08-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

DTS, I'm not doubting you one whit about the use of steroids and other illegal drugs; I'm just skeptical as to it increasing a horse's cancer risk because I would think we'd see more instances of cancer then, you know?

Does it increase cancer risk in humans? I thought steroid use damaged the heart, but I don't know of it being linked to cancers. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Pimlico

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
DTS, I'm not doubting you one whit about the use of steroids and other illegal drugs; I'm just skeptical as to it increasing a horse's cancer risk because I would think we'd see more instances of cancer then, you know?

Does it increase cancer risk in humans? I thought steroid use damaged the heart, but I don't know of it being linked to cancers. Anyone know anything about this?

It could be linked (Brain, Liver) but this is with heavy use over a long term period. LITF's cancer is a statistic, a very low statistic but unfortunately his number was picked.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

Chup and Gr,
I have nothing concerning proof of anything causing LITF's illness. I said so in my post. Cancer is something that has been forefront in my son's and my thoughts, ever since a form (neuroblastoma) took my nephew so many years ago...same one that took the little girl of Alex's lemonade stand fame...and all the efforts of the good folks like racing Samm that have done their best to fund the research.
Findings indicate that there are "genetic triggers' like fgf 15, fgf 8, and many others that cause different forms of cancer. It's part of the quest to find the conditions that cause these "triggers" to fire. My "guess" is that there are chemical conditions that contribute...and I'm not a bio-chemist nor a developmental biologist like my son is. I wish we knew. I really hope the answers to this devastating disease, it's causes and remedies are found soon.
So, to answer you both, I really don't know.
DTS
Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Washington Park

Quote:

Lost in the Fog has brought me alot of joy and fun over the last couple of years. One of the few horses I have gone way out of my way to see race . I'm truly devastated by the news, and feel so sorry for his owner and trainer. I know they loved that horse.

I'll never forget the live TV interview for our ktvu.com morning news Russell Baze did with Lost in the Fog in the background. The horse had amazing camera presence and timing. He was uncanny. Very very enjoyable.

I understand the speculation on what caused the cancer. That's fair and relevant conversation, it's OK to speculate.

As long as we're speculating I'll point out that Lost in the Fog spent much of his life at Golden Gate Fields, immediately adjacent to the waters of San Francisco Bay. And just downwind from some major oil refineries in Richmond, Martinez and Benicia, also on the Bay. I have no idea how Golden Gate Fields interacts with San Francisco Bay waters, but I will tell you that most marine biologists recommend minimum consumption of anything that comes out of much of the Bay water.

Also, it might be relevant to note that there is an extraordinarily high incidence of breast cancer in the women of Marin County. There has been for years. There have been many studies, but no commonly accepted theory of why. Marin is north of the Golden Gate Bridge, and also on the waters of San Francisco Bay. Both Marin and the Golden Gate Bridge, as well as San Francisco Bay, are visible from Golden Gate Fields.

I wish comfort, warmth, and strength for Lost in the Fog and his connections.

Last edited by westcoastinvader : 08-20-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Pimlico

Less than a week ago, trainer Greg Gilchrist said that it was "the bottom of the ninth" for his champion sprinter Lost in the Fog, diagnosed with terminal cancer. But at his Golden Gate Fields stable Thursday, the rally caps were out.

Returning to his barn after spending the previous five days in Florida for the Ocala Breeders' yearling auction, Gilchrist said Lost in the Fog is being treated in his stall with medications designed to shrink two football sized tumors found in his spleen and beneath his spine along his back, as well as a third, smaller mass. The trainer said he was encouraged by the 4-year-old colt's feistiness.

"This horse is not done yet," he said. "We are trying to shrink the tumors if that would be possible. If we can shrink them 50 percent, there's a chance we can remove them (surgically). It's a long shot but long shots happen all the time in this game. It's something to hang on to. We're not dead in the water yet."

It was almost exactly a year ago that an unbeaten Lost in the Fog romped to a 4 3/4-length win in the King's Bishop (gr. I) at Saratoga for his ninth straight win to give Gilchrist and owner Harry Aleo their first grade I triumph. Lost in the Fog stretched his winning streak to 10 before losing for the first time in the TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) at Belmont Park on Oct. 29.

Gilchrist said Lost in the Fog, who returned to the stable Aug. 20 after a week at the University of California at Davis' Large Animal Clinic, is "doing fine and holding his weight well."

He said the popular colt with the oddball blaze has been given walks outside his stall and has been happily enjoying the carrots, apples and other things sent to the barn by admirers. The get-well cards, e-mail wishes and flower bouquets have been overwhelming, Gilchrist said.

"I finally took all the flowers up to the (administration) office and gave them to all the girls there," he said.

Lost in the Fog, while being maintained on low doses of pain reliever, "is doing much better than we thought he would," Gilchrist said. "He's in good spirits."

The trainer had originally planned to allow the horse to live out his final days in familiar surroundings and to be cared for by those that know him best. Without giving into what he called "false hope," he now thinks it could be some time before a decision to euthanize the colt might be necessary.

"He still has quality life ahead of him," Gilchrist said.

In particular, he said, the horse has enjoyed being reunited with his favorite human, groom Pascual Garcia.

"Everybody is glad that he's back," Gilchrist said of the atmosphere at the stable. "Everybody realizes the situation. But I won't let anybody get down. I refuse to allow any negativity."

The colt, displaying his usual aggressive playfulness, certainly isn't feeling any.

"We were outside when he tried to take my arm off this morning," Gilchrist said.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Washington Park

Man do I love this horse........

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 08-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Saturday_in_May
Man do I love this horse........
So do I...So do I...