Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I'm glad they're sending him back to his stall and his groom for the end of his life. At least he'll spend his last days surrounded by the people who love him.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Narragansett Park

I have smoked for 50 of my 60 years and a horse is dying of cancer at age 4? WTF is going on?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewbopper
We have the idiot son of an ******* for a president. When we will have stem cell research? This cancer sh!t is getting really old. It is outrageous that our president will not give carte blanche to something that might give us a solution to the scourge of the fast food generation
Good grief ... now Bush is responsible for an extremely rare cancer in a race horse?

How loony can these leftists get?

But I encourage you to keep it up ... because frothing moonbats like you will only guarantee that the loopy ultraleftist democrats will never regain power ...

... and that's the nicest gift America can receive.

Sheeeeeeeeeesh !!!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
Just a very somber and upsetting story all around. It's alot like hearing a close friend or loved one has contracted cancer in some form. You just don't expect it, or think it couldn't happen to that person (or yourself). It's a parallel reminder of how fragile life is for both man and animal.

I know plenty of people liked to knock Lost in the Fog for the horses he beat and more or less laid to claim that his winning streak was a figment of comical opposition. That may be somewhat true, but I suggest you ask a true fan of the game if they care who the opponents were that LITF set down. I ask you to look in the eyes of a person who saw LITF as an inspiration and say he was a product of poor opposition. They will tell you they saw a small, gutsy horse who defied logisitics and did most things pundits saw as not feasible for him.

This is a horse you could stand up and cheer for solely on the basis that he represented a lot of what we feel inside ourselves. People telling us we cant do something or that we arent cut out to be in a certain place, basically saying "no you cant". LITF showed that a little guy CAN do just about anything and can defy critics, defy odds and in the process make a believer in many.

Sadly, it looks like that run will come to a close some time soon. LITF shouldn't be measured by the wins he tallied or the money he earned, but for being a shining star and inspiration to the people who think there is not much hope and showing them that even when everyone says "no you can't" there is still a chance to say "yes I can".

That's the beauty of a game like horse racing, those stars can be born everyday and when you least expect it, there is an unknown NY bred gelding crossing the wire first in front of a royally bred animal, a $50,000 claimer winning Grade 1's, an old man car salesman and his wife riding a horse that almost died in the gate to within an eyelash of the Triple Crown, a bonified star cut down in his prime by uncontrollable circumstances who fights night and day to see the sun rise the next morning, and a small statured Cal based colt who runs so fast you sometimes might have missed a quarter mile if you blinked...I hope nobody blinked so long to have missed LITF...because this game needs more like him.
Nice job on this, I enjoyed reading it
Old 08-19-2006, 12:09 AM
pgardn

This horse gave me an enormous amount of pleasure watching him run. What a freakish fate he had been dealt. I dont know how the heck to thank a horse or the connections for giving me the thrill of watching him perform. What a hell of a runner.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:45 AM
oracle80

How about a salute to the imbeciles that have bashed him. ****ing horse wins in 1:08 and change with cancer this year. Incredible.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:24 AM
Turf Paradise

Everybody's said what can be said...but LITF is part of the reason I hang around the board now. Without a horse from my original hometown to cheer for, I don't think I would have started reading up on racing again. Crushed, devastated...I hope he has a great final week or two. What a shame.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Arlington Park

SS, fantastic post!

LITF, your time was to short, thank you!! prayers to you and all your connections.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Newmarket

This turn of events is very tough to take and so sad. There has been so much bad news this year, words are failing me. This guy was a brave, stellar performer that deserved a better fate than this. My thoughts are with the people who raised, trained, and cared for Lost In The Fog.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewbopper
I have smoked for 50 of my 60 years and a horse is dying of cancer at age 4? WTF is going on?
one can only wonder. possibly steroids ?
Old 08-19-2006, 02:36 PM
BellamyRd.

The Fog gave us many thrills
may his days be filled with peace
he gave a surly old man a thrill of a lifetime
God Bless you Fog~tough one to swallow indeed
Old 08-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
one can only wonder. possibly steroids ?
One can only wonder is right. Steroids? Maybe
Or maybe feed that's had pesticides galore. Then there's the insecticides sprayed everwhere in the stalls. Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Keeneland

This is so terrible.

I wish there was something that they could do for him to make him better, but sometimes God has bigger plans.

RIP Foggy... may the fields in heaven be lined with champions like yourself.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Oaklawn

When Lost in the Fog was undefeated his owner turned down some very big offers for the horse. He said he was in the game to race and now that I have a real good one I'm having the time of my life. This sport has extreme highs and the lowest of lows.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Pimlico

If he is doing ok, and they say has 6 monyhs to live. Can he cover a mare before they put him down??

I don't know the breeding aspect of racing, just asking a question.

Thanks,

MD
Old 08-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyD
If he is doing ok, and they say has 6 monyhs to live. Can he cover a mare before they put him down??

I don't know the breeding aspect of racing, just asking a question.

Thanks,

MD
Mark I wish that were possible, but we are talking about days right now, not months. Plus he is really not in any conidition to breed either.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
One can only wonder is right. Steroids? Maybe
Or maybe feed that's had pesticides galore. Then there's the insecticides sprayed everwhere in the stalls. Your guess is as good as mine.
Or it might just be one of those awful things that happens for no discernible reason. Cancer is so rare in horses that I would think if there were an external cause from something fairly common like pesticides or drugs that we would see a higher incidence of it. But who knows? It's a really confounding disease. I think we may eventually be able to manage it more consistently, but I don't think we'll ever really cure it.

Foggy, I hope they let you stuff yourself full of peppermints and carrots over the next weeks. You deserve them.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
Or it might just be one of those awful things that happens for no discernible reason. Cancer is so rare in horses that I would think if there were an external cause from something fairly common like pesticides or drugs that we would see a higher incidence of it. But who knows? It's a really confounding disease. I think we may eventually be able to manage it more consistently, but I don't think we'll ever really cure it.

Foggy, I hope they let you stuff yourself full of peppermints and carrots over the next weeks. You deserve them.
GR,
I just got off the phone cause Sumitas's question about steroids got me thinking.
First off, I can not confirm that Lost in the Fog was given steroids. That said,
it's pretty common practice to give "canbuterol" (sp?). It's a med similar to what is given to asthma sufferers. It is a steroid.
My friend told me that there are some investigations going on right now, and that the "industry" will have to come up with some good answers, whether it's a yearling in the sale ring that's been pumped with anabolic steroids so it looks like a two year old, or other "stuff" that's going on that to boost the wins for certain trainers. Sorry, I can't give out names but you'd know them in a blink.
I'm also concerned about "nerve blocks" injections, not just cause it can horse to break down, but also the rider on its back to get hurt or killed.
Believe me, this has happened too.
That's as much information that I can give you at this time.
I'm sure there will be some that want to know more...where did this info come from? are you sure?
Sorry...that's all I can say as of now.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Churchill Downs

Oh, this is soooo sad. I am completely devastated. I knew something was really wrong with him, but gosh. I'm heartbroken. LITF must have had a huge heart to have won a race and ran a good second this year with his body ate up with cancer. What a horse! I'm sorry old boy. May you be able to win all the sprints in heaven my dear boy. Thanks for the wonderful run last year. RIP....I'll miss you.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Santa Anita

very good DTS...just look back at Lyle Alzado...these yearlings that look like 2 or even 3 year olds, it just does not make sense.

again LITF brings up some questions so that he does not die in vain.

a picture of what a yearling typically looks like from the auction in France http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/photo?sl..._am&prov=getty

without steroids.

Last edited by sumitas : 08-20-2006 at 01:26 PM.