Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Churchill Downs

Default Sad news about Lost in the Fog

Interview of trainer Gilchrist on TVG as I type. Further tests have shown three more cancerous masses, all inoperable. Horse is not in pain, but it doesn't look like he can be saved. They will take him back to the Bay area, his own stall, and give him essentially hospice care for a week or so, but they will have to put him down in the near future, before the discomfort turns into serious pain.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:15 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Interview of trainer Gilchrist on TVG as I type. Further tests have shown three more cancerous masses, all inoperable. Horse is not in pain, but it doesn't look like he can be saved. They will take him back to the Bay area, his own stall, and give him essentially hospice care for a week or so, but they will have to put him down in the near future, before the discomfort turns into serious pain.

D*mn.....
Old 08-18-2006, 05:20 PM
top predator.

so sad.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Dee Tee Stables

it was the best of times, it was the worst of times....

i wonder if charles dickens was a horse racing fan, because that line sums this sport up so well. incredible highs, and heartbreaking lows.

i know this guy wasn't dr fager returned to life, but i sure enjoyed watching him run. i mean, he did run fast enough that his blaze was holding on for dear life. i love seeing those descendants of northern dancer with that feature.

this is rotten, rotten news. i am so sorry that it's going to end this way for him and his owner, trainer, fans....

a bad day at work and now it's gotten worse. damittohell
Old 08-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Hialeah Park

Thanks Big Guy...
You'll be in my heart.

http://www.barbaralivingston.com/gal...9/LostInTheFog
Old 08-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Really sad news
Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Del Mar

I was on the phone during the interview so I missed it. I can't believe that news. That is terrible news. It is really sad.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Morris Park

This is just incredibly sad news
Old 08-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Randwyck

This news makes me sick........poor colt. What a rotten hand he's been dealt. Boy, this sport is tough..........:
Old 08-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Narragansett Park

We have the idiot son of an ******* for a president. When we will have stem cell research? This cancer sh!t is getting really old. It is outrageous that our president will not give carte blanche to something that might give us a solution to the scourge of the fast food generation
Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Santa Anita

i feel really bad for him and his family, connections if you will. it's hard to express when a being so young is struck down. in the end he ran through so much adversity...it's just a terrible thing.

Last edited by sumitas : 08-18-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
i feel really bad for him and his family, connections if you will. it's hard to express when a being so young is struck down.
Sumitas,
That word..."family" says a lot.
You'll see.
In a way, it's even tougher when you breed them rather than claim them.
There's a real attachment that goes all the way through it, from the owners and the trainer, the exercise rider, groom, hot walker...everyone that connects. This is a sad, sad day for all of them, the whole family.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Idlewild Airport

Jeez, this is ridiculous. Horrible news...What a tough game horse. What an awesome stretch he had last year.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:07 PM
eurobounce

Yeah they said in the next two weeks he will be euthanized. My stomach was empty havent I read the headline on TVG tonight. I wish him the best.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Les Bois

Default are we being lied too?

yes this is very sad news. but frankly i do not trust anything i hear on TVG or from any trainer. the one thing i remember from beyer's books was that when a trainers lips are moving he/she is lying.

nothing against the connections but we have to consider that this is the same old story - illegal dr*gs are kill**g horse racing and horses.

i hope i am wrong but this horse was the subject of lots of hype... it's time to test every horse that runs - everytime. how much can it cost? credibility of the game is on the line.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Monmouth Park

Just a very somber and upsetting story all around. It's alot like hearing a close friend or loved one has contracted cancer in some form. You just don't expect it, or think it couldn't happen to that person (or yourself). It's a parallel reminder of how fragile life is for both man and animal.

I know plenty of people liked to knock Lost in the Fog for the horses he beat and more or less laid to claim that his winning streak was a figment of comical opposition. That may be somewhat true, but I suggest you ask a true fan of the game if they care who the opponents were that LITF set down. I ask you to look in the eyes of a person who saw LITF as an inspiration and say he was a product of poor opposition. They will tell you they saw a small, gutsy horse who defied logisitics and did most things pundits saw as not feasible for him.

This is a horse you could stand up and cheer for solely on the basis that he represented a lot of what we feel inside ourselves. People telling us we cant do something or that we arent cut out to be in a certain place, basically saying "no you cant". LITF showed that a little guy CAN do just about anything and can defy critics, defy odds and in the process make a believer in many.

Sadly, it looks like that run will come to a close some time soon. LITF shouldn't be measured by the wins he tallied or the money he earned, but for being a shining star and inspiration to the people who think there is not much hope and showing them that even when everyone says "no you can't" there is still a chance to say "yes I can".

That's the beauty of a game like horse racing, those stars can be born everyday and when you least expect it, there is an unknown NY bred gelding crossing the wire first in front of a royally bred animal, a $50,000 claimer winning Grade 1's, an old man car salesman and his wife riding a horse that almost died in the gate to within an eyelash of the Triple Crown, a bonified star cut down in his prime by uncontrollable circumstances who fights night and day to see the sun rise the next morning, and a small statured Cal based colt who runs so fast you sometimes might have missed a quarter mile if you blinked...I hope nobody blinked so long to have missed LITF...because this game needs more like him.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:38 PM
foggyfan

I can't believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooooo upset right now that I can's stop from crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why did this havee to hapen to this horse???????? I don't want him to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
Just a very somber and upsetting story all around. It's alot like hearing a close friend or loved one has contracted cancer in some form. You just don't expect it, or think it couldn't happen to that person (or yourself). It's a parallel reminder of how fragile life is for both man and animal.

I know plenty of people liked to knock Lost in the Fog for the horses he beat and more or less laid to claim that his winning streak was a figment of comical opposition. That may be somewhat true, but I suggest you ask a true fan of the game if they care who the opponents were that LITF set down. I ask you to look in the eyes of a person who saw LITF as an inspiration and say he was a product of poor opposition. They will tell you they saw a small, gutsy horse who defied logisitics and did most things pundits saw as not feasible for him.

This is a horse you could stand up and cheer for solely on the basis that he represented a lot of what we feel inside ourselves. People telling us we cant do something or that we arent cut out to be in a certain place, basically saying "no you cant". LITF showed that a little guy CAN do just about anything and can defy critics, defy odds and in the process make a believer in many.

Sadly, it looks like that run will come to a close some time soon. LITF shouldn't be measured by the wins he tallied or the money he earned, but for being a shining star and inspiration to the people who think there is not much hope and showing them that even when everyone says "no you can't" there is still a chance to say "yes I can".

That's the beauty of a game like horse racing, those stars can be born everyday and when you least expect it, there is an unknown NY bred gelding crossing the wire first in front of a royally bred animal, a $50,000 claimer winning Grade 1's, an old man car salesman and his wife riding a horse that almost died in the gate to within an eyelash of the Triple Crown, a bonified star cut down in his prime by uncontrollable circumstances who fights night and day to see the sun rise the next morning, and a small statured Cal based colt who runs so fast you sometimes might have missed a quarter mile if you blinked...I hope nobody blinked so long to have missed LITF...because this game needs more like him.
A thoughtful, brilliant post. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Ellis Park

Death be not proud . This horse was a fine one , and perhaps even terminal cancer will not be accepted as a reason for his losing efforts by his detractors . I'd rather see him a live fraud than a dead hero, but fate sees otherwise . Rotten and tragic karma for him , his caring connections, and all his fans .
Old 08-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Randwyck

"Just a very somber and upsetting story all around. It's alot like hearing a close friend or loved one has contracted cancer in some form. You just don't expect it, or think it couldn't happen to that person (or yourself). It's a parallel reminder of how fragile life is for both man and animal."

Hits the nail on the head for me. I dont know if any of you remember the pictures I posted when I went to see him in Ocala in Novemeber and to Calder in July. To follow a horse through his career and for this to happen......well I'm sure you all know how I feel.

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA