Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Yeah don't even get me started on fools who think Big Red was a "disappointment" as a stallion. He is without a doubt one of the top broodmare sires in the history of the sport. No question about that.
However that is not all he did, he also sired some great runners himself. His top two on the track were obviously Risen Star and Lady's Secret, and I think I would put those two up against the top colt and filly performers from almost any sire around.
Even his second-tier runners were multiple grade 1 winners like Tinners Way and General Assembly. You add those kind of on the track performances with his absolutley amazing success as a broodmare sire and Secretariat was without question a breed-changing type stallion.
Mira,
Both you and Balletto know a lot about peds.
So, here's something that I'm really interested in finding the answer to.
As some folks here know, my son is a geneticist working on his post doc in developmental heart research. To me, a few of mine have Secretariat in their lines.
Anyway...the question. Was it Blue Larkspur that threw the mutant gene for the enlarged heart? I think so, but my son and I have gone round and round on this. Your input would be greatly appreciated to resolve this developmental biology debate. What do you think?

btw, Alydar was a better broodmare sire than either Spectacular Bid or Affirmed imho.
Thanks,
DTS
Old 08-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Alydar...another horse who really didn't get to leave his mark on the breed...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
God, I just realized I may be socially retarded.
Well then Derbytrail.com is definitely the place for you!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Mira,
Both you and Balletto know a lot about peds.
So, here's something that I'm really interested in finding the answer to.
As some folks here know, my son is a geneticist working on his post doc in developmental heart research. To me, a few of mine have Secretariat in their lines.
Anyway...the question. Was it Blue Larkspur that threw the mutant gene for the enlarged heart? I think so, but my son and I have gone round and round on this. Your input would be greatly appreciated to resolve this developmental biology debate. What do you think?

btw, Alydar was a better broodmare sire than either Spectacular Bid or Affirmed imho.
Thanks,
DTS
I will defer to Balletto or Pedigree Ann for this one. You might want to take a look at Bill Nack's Secretariat book too, if you haven't already. He provides a TON of info on Big Red's pedigree, and it is just a really good book.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
I will defer to Balletto or Pedigree Ann for this one. You might want to take a look at Bill Nack's Secretariat book too, if you haven't already. He provides a TON of info on Big Red's pedigree, and it is just a really good book.
Thanks, I have Bill Nack's book. A great read for those that haven't.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Balletto

ALYDAR! My all time favorite broodmare sire! L-O-V-E him!

And my first reaction to your question would be yes, Blue Larkspur, but I hate commenting on something I dont feel im educated enough in.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:59 PM

I'm confused....where are Blue Larkspur and Secretariat related?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
ALYDAR! My all time favorite broodmare sire! L-O-V-E him!

And my first reaction to your question would be yes, Blue Larkspur, but I hate commenting on something I dont feel im educated enough in.
Balletto,
If you look at the pics I sent you (if you haven't deleted them), both the colt with the white star and three white socks, and the yearling filly, Darlin' by Day, are line bred 3X3 to Alydar.
Alydar is one of my all time favorites also, as if you couldn't tell.
DTS
Old 08-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Balletto

I think there was a correlation being made on the "big heart" gene. Secretariat was known to have an enlarged heart and it appears to have been passed to his daughters. I think Princequillo is the biggest contributor of that and to the breed in the last 50 years.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I think there was a correlation being made on the "big heart" gene. Secretariat was known to have an enlarged heart and it appears to have been passed to his daughters. I think Princequillo is the biggest contributor of that and to the breed in the last 50 years.
SO what you're saying is that Secretariat passed along the big heart gene and not Blue Larkspur? Because I don't think Secretariat had any Blue Larkspur in him.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I'm confused....where are Blue Larkspur and Secretariat related?
I have to look it up, but if memory serves, it's either the 7th or 8th gen.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Balletto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
SO what you're saying is that Secretariat passed along the big heart gene and not Blue Larkspur? Because I don't think Secretariat had any Blue Larkspur in him.
No, he's farther back, but I was just saying that Princequillo is the immediate known carrier of the gene in recent times.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 PM

Can we just be clear here and say that Blue Larkspur and Secretariat are NOT related?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Keeneland

This is interesting...

Secretariat was a phenom. He was able to run the times and attain the speed he did because he was trained by one of the best trainers in the world, Lucien Lauren. He also had the heart and the will to win. But he had one advantage that nobody knew of at the time. When Secretariat was put down the autopsy showed that is heart weighed close to 22 pounds,the average Thoroughbred heart weighs 9 lbs. Secretariat's heart was all in porportion, not a mutation. The mutation large heart was found in the horse Eclipse at autopsy in 1789. Eclipse's heart weighed 14 lbs. We now know by research and the hard work of scientists and geneticist like Marianna Haun, that horses carry a gene for a large heart. It is passed through the X chromosome in the mare. Measurements of more than 400 horses with a ECG has found that the X-Factor is 100% consistent. It is possible to track the large heart from sire to daughter to granddaughter and grandson and to great granddaughter and great grandson. The heart scores on certain lines are 100% consistent. These lines come from Princequillo, War Admiral, Blue Larkspur, and Mahmoud.

We obviously know that Secretariat possessed the large heart gene. His heart was larger than any other TB on record. And we know that he got his large heart from Princequillo. A horse's heart is measured by a electrocardiogram and given a "heart score". That phrase was coined only 40 years ago by an Australian researcher named Dr. James Steel. In his research Dr.Steel ranks heart scores according to size. A score of 103 is considered small. A medium size heart is scored from 104-116. 117-120 and above is considered large. The Largest heart in his study was from the Thoroughbred Champion Key to the Mint. He carried the Princequello heart, and rated a heart score of 157-160. Most of Princequello's hearts were between 147 and 160. The three other "superhearts" were from War Admiral, Blue Larkspur, and Mahmoud. They had a heart score of 140-150. A heart score of 140 and above is considered very large and generally found in very successful racehorses.

Marianna Haun says in her book "The X Factor" that even though there is no heart score on Secretariat, based on the weight of his heart at autopsy his estimated heart score would have been 180. There has not been any heart score even near that size. She also states that if Secretariat's heart hadnt been so far out of the norm, they might not have ever discovered what they have about the genetic mutation that produces a high performance heart.

Just until recently it was thought that the sire was the one responsible for his offspring's success. The racing industry has judged a sire by his male offspring for hundreds of years. Great Thoroughbreds were thought to be busts because their sons never produced winners. But the large heart is passed to the foals by the dam. The TB Weekend Surprise is the daughter of Secretariat. Weekend Surprises' dam was Lassie Dear. She produced all winners, including her daughter who produced Horse of the Year A.P.Indy and Summer Squall. The exception to this however was ManO'War, who was fortunate enough to be bred to a mare whos heart was actually larger than his own. The mare was Brushup and she produced War Admiral. Seattle Slew, Cigar, and Silver Charm all have that heart line.Therefore ManO'War was considered a great sire, although it was his dam that passed on the large heart gene.

Throughout my research I have discovered that ManO'War's trainer Louis Feustel, never would let the jockey give him full rein. His reasoning here was to save his horse and not push him if not necessary. ManO'War did possess the large heart gene but I feel that even if he was given full rein he could not have maintained the stamina that Secretariat possessed. Through the strategies of Louis Feustal, ManO'War's legacy is cemented forever. The interesting thing about Secretariat is, in the Belmont, Jockey Ron Turcotte said he was along for the ride. The horse did everything on his own. He set a new world record that still stands, he beat extremely good competition by 31 lengths, and won the Triple Crown. We all wonder what Secretariat could have done if he was actually "asked". Like ManO'War before him Secretariat's legacy is cemented in history. Secretariats' rival in all three Triple Crown races was Sham. Sham's heart was weighed at autopsy at 18lbs. The second largest on record. He lost to Secretariat all three times. At the '73 Belmont, Sham tried in vain to keep pace with Secretariat but to no avail. Even with an 18 pound heart and tremendous will to beat his rival, Sham could not muster the stamina. Sham finished last and never raced again.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Hialeah Park

Wow!
Thanks for finding the information I asked about.
Princequillo just cost me a six-pack of the good stuff to that smarty kid of mine.
For those that doubt the DTer's...just ask.
They'll tell you and save you a trip to the library or a few hours on a search engine.
Thanks!

DTS
Old 08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
This is interesting...
That is putting it mildly. thanks for taking the time to type that all out for us. I found it extremely interesting, and I had never heard some of that stuff. Great post.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Balletto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Wow!
Thanks for finding the information I asked about.
Princequillo just cost me a six-pack of the good stuff to that smarty kid of mine.
For those that doubt the DTer's...just ask.
They'll tell you and save you a trip to the library or a few hours on a search engine.
Thanks!

DTS
Wait, was the original question who was immediately responsible for Secretariat's enlarged heart? In that case, like I stated above, def Princequillo. He was the "recent" known contributor.

Either way, this is one of those topics that is so fascinating.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Santa Anita

Crimson Satan for sure (think Storm Cat, Mt Livermore). the whole Spy Song tail male line is just about extinct.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Balletto

Also think Tiznow when it comes to Crimson Satan... I wasnt surprised that his best runner was out of a Storm Cat mare... If I was his connections, i'd do all but steal Storm Cat mares for him. He's gotten real cold, real quick.

And speaking of Crimson Satan, what about his daughter Crimson Saint? She might be one of the most under-appreciated mares ever... in my opinion, one of, if the not fastest filly ever behind Ruffian, not to mention what she accomplished for the breed in the shed.

Last edited by Balletto : 08-10-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Santa Anita

yeah Folklore was beautifully bred...isn't Ruffian an 8-c family just like Crimson Saint ? that 8-c family is wicked fast.

Last edited by sumitas : 08-10-2006 at 05:06 PM.