Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2006, 06:37 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
ahhh i found the hip that has 7 lines of La Troienne, 61. i like this ped on the filly. More Than Ready (bottom line to La Troienne)/Garvins Girl...
she was my overall pick for filles...I really like more ten ready fillies and the La troienne...come on in a filly you can't beat it. 7x!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Im going to try and check out the sale online tomorrow as well. Clearing my evening. Should be interesting what the Mineshaft filly goes for. Lane's End sent most the Missy Baba line mares to Came Home but this one is intriguing as hell.
I'm going to be very nervous - I just think the world of Mineshaft. Bill Farish sounds really confident in his September Mineshaft yearlings. This particular filly must be special since they singled her out for this sale to showcase her sire.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Ok....I'm clearly out of my league here. Can some of you ladies (Bethany, AB,Gator) help me out with some of these on sale for last night and tonight?

Why did hip 81 not sell?
Help me with the pedigrees of the other Smart Strike babies? (#'s 116 and 172)

Thank you ladies and look forward to reading what ya'll have to say.

Oh yeah...and Cajun...who loves you baby??
Kev, I'm out of my league too... I'm just trying to learn some stuff from listening to these guys.

I actually had a question regarding this stuff too... when a horse is RNA, why does that happen normally?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
there should be some value in these sessions.

the 61 tonight...it's only the second More Than Ready/Seattle Slew cross i think. the other one i saw was Inverness. she was 3-2-0-0 before she died at 2.

the cross obviously holds promise. hope the foal fares better.

the 85 rna... the pedigree is impressive and the nick is A+ which can't hurt... http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogs/2006/0808/85.pdf

this might be a good one for Oracle to take a look at for his clients.
attenshun Col Oracle, colt alert
Old 08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
top predator.

Quote:
so right. PM him I know he's looking for colts (not yearlings but you never know).
Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Balletto

Well, with the Point Given filly, it could be one of two things. Point Given's often look very immature, under-developed and gawky as yearlings. They really need time to develop. If you look at his entire past sales history, you will see his results have been surprisingly low in the yearling markets because of this. The other reason can be some conformational deficiencies we dont know about. A yearling can look fantastic but if it doesnt fly through the vet check, buyers are going to look else where.

With the Smart Strike filly, I was really expecting her to go for around 300k. My guess, conformational issues. Smart Strike doesnt throw the prettiest of babies and Seattle Slew can get some plain looking horses, especially as a broodmare sire, so maybe its a combination of that and unwanted issues with conformation. Either way, its a family thats been waking up but still under-appreciated. Cant go wrong with a filly tail-female to La Troienne.

RNA-- Means Reserve Not Acquired/Achieved. Reserves, or a minimum price set by the consignor or owner of the yearling (any horse) in an auction is common place. When they feel like the horse in question is worth no less than a certain amount they will set the reserve at that. The reserve is kept private and confidential and the buyers are not aware of it (im sure there are times they are though but thats a whole other sales ethics discussion). There's a lot of private sales during and after the sales with the horses who get RNA'd. So, many of them do switch hands of ownership, while others are retained by their original owners. I should also mention that you have to pay a percentage of the reserve if you're the original owner and your horse doesnt attain it. Its called a "buy back". I dont know what the percentage is. Im sure Sumitas does though.

The Mineshaft should be interesting. The iconic Lane's End (at least I consider it a Lane's End family of late) family of Lassie Dear has yearlings mostly by Came Home. They obviously supported that young stallion with mares from their best family which is great from him. But this is the only attempt i've seen of them inbreeding to Lassie Dear with Mineshaft. So this filly has the RF to Lassie Dear and I personally am a big fan of it. His weanlings didnt sell for as high as I thought they would but I heard they were a little under-developed which would make sense. He was a much better older horse and a lot of the mares he's seeing are Classic types also. I would be shocked if Mineshaft doesnt make an excellent stallion. Indy is starting to prove himself a sire of sires and Mineshaft hails from one of the best branches of La Troienne, through The Garden Club. Although, on a related note, that direct family has yet o produce a stallion of much importance.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Balletto

Quote:
That colts does have a wonderful pedigree... but have you noticed her fillies run much better than her colts? Sumitas, you think there's a basis of fact in the theory some mares produce a better runner from one sex over the other? Im not sure how I feel about it, but you see situations like this every now and then when reviewing a mare and sometimes, even a whole family.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:09 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Ok....I'm clearly out of my league here. Can some of you ladies (Bethany, AB,Gator) help me out with some of these on sale for last night and tonight?

Why did hip 81 not sell?
Help me with the pedigrees of the other Smart Strike babies? (#'s 116 and 172)

Thank you ladies and look forward to reading what ya'll have to say.

Oh yeah...and Cajun...who loves you baby??
I'm no expert I just know what I like and have a pretty good idea of what types of pedigrees sell well--from working the sales.

Couple of reasons why hip 81 might not have sold.
Smart Strike has a lifetime filly sale average of around 64K--@ 130 this filly was probably right where she should have been and the owners probably set the reserve too high. No parent ever thinks his or her child is anything less than the head of the class if you know what I mean. Often going into a sale an owner has unrealistic expectations of their own yearling's value.
a formula I heard once that is used to determine the profit point @ a sale is two times the stud fee plus 15K--the 15K is what it costs to maintain the mare for a year in foal.
The filly was somewhat light in pedigree--not a bad page, but nothing that jumps out. Folklore is there but the breeding is totally different so it's apples and oranges.
She may not have vetted well--buyers are very picky and can afford to be.
Smart Strike gets some good runners but not early or classic type runners.

this is all JMO take it @ face value only.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Balletto

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
I'm no expert I just know what I like and have a pretty good idea of what types of pedigrees sell well--from working the sales.

Couple of reasons why hip 81 might not have sold.
Smart Strike has a lifetime filly sale average of around 64K--@ 130 this filly was probably right where she should have been and the owners probably set the reserve too high. No parent ever thinks his or her child is anything less than the head of the class if you know what I mean. Often going into a sale an owner has unrealistic expectations of their own yearling's value.
a formula I heard once that is used to determine the profit point @ a sale is two times the stud fee plus 15K--the 15K is what it costs to maintain the mare for a year in foal.
The filly was somewhat light in pedigree--not a bad page, but nothing that jumps out. Folklore is there but the breeding is totally different so it's apples and oranges.
She may not have vetted well--buyers are very picky and can afford to be.
Smart Strike gets some good runners but not early or classic type runners.

this is all JMO take it @ face value only.
Its a good opinion and holds very true. I've never paid too much attention to his sales average, but for a filly 64k, and after that stud fee hike, breeders better be breeding to race. Very solid stallion though, and wouldnt be surprised to see him as a top bms.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
That colts does have a wonderful pedigree... but have you noticed her fillies run much better than her colts? Sumitas, you think there's a basis of fact in the theory some mares produce a better runner from one sex over the other? Im not sure how I feel about it, but you see situations like this every now and then when reviewing a mare and sometimes, even a whole family.
hip 85...i'm no expert either but everyone wants predictability. so it's possible that this being a colt may have made some buyers lower their ceiling for him. this family does produce a preponderance, but not exclusively, of filly black type, going back to 1900. good observation. if everything checks out i like this ped.

this bid was well above the average for a yearling Langfuhr but that's because of the exceptional mare. what her foals sell for i don't know.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Well, with the Point Given filly, it could be one of two things. Point Given's often look very immature, under-developed and gawky as yearlings. They really need time to develop. If you look at his entire past sales history, you will see his results have been surprisingly low in the yearling markets because of this. The other reason can be some conformational deficiencies we dont know about. A yearling can look fantastic but if it doesnt fly through the vet check, buyers are going to look else where.

With the Smart Strike filly, I was really expecting her to go for around 300k. My guess, conformational issues. Smart Strike doesnt throw the prettiest of babies and Seattle Slew can get some plain looking horses, especially as a broodmare sire, so maybe its a combination of that and unwanted issues with conformation. Either way, its a family thats been waking up but still under-appreciated. Cant go wrong with a filly tail-female to La Troienne.

RNA-- Means Reserve Not Acquired/Achieved. Reserves, or a minimum price set by the consignor or owner of the yearling (any horse) in an auction is common place. When they feel like the horse in question is worth no less than a certain amount they will set the reserve at that. The reserve is kept private and confidential and the buyers are not aware of it (im sure there are times they are though but thats a whole other sales ethics discussion). There's a lot of private sales during and after the sales with the horses who get RNA'd. So, many of them do switch hands of ownership, while others are retained by their original owners. I should also mention that you have to pay a percentage of the reserve if you're the original owner and your horse doesnt attain it. Its called a "buy back". I dont know what the percentage is. Im sure Sumitas does though.

The Mineshaft should be interesting. The iconic Lane's End (at least I consider it a Lane's End family of late) family of Lassie Dear has yearlings mostly by Came Home. They obviously supported that young stallion with mares from their best family which is great from him. But this is the only attempt i've seen of them inbreeding to Lassie Dear with Mineshaft. So this filly has the RF to Lassie Dear and I personally am a big fan of it. His weanlings didnt sell for as high as I thought they would but I heard they were a little under-developed which would make sense. He was a much better older horse and a lot of the mares he's seeing are Classic types also. I would be shocked if Mineshaft doesnt make an excellent stallion. Indy is starting to prove himself a sire of sires and Mineshaft hails from one of the best branches of La Troienne, through The Garden Club. Although, on a related note, that direct family has yet o produce a stallion of much importance.
Thank you for the information. This is very intriguing to me and I have enjoyed reading you all's posts regarding this sale.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Santa Anita

just noticed the last hip of the night, 90, named Tizlee, was purchased by Bruce Lunsford, an owner of First Samurai.
http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogs/2006/0808/90.pdf
Old 08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
just noticed the last hip of the night, 90, named Tizlee, was purchased by Bruce Lunsford, an owner of First Samurai.
http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogs/2006/0808/90.pdf
I noticed that too... hip 90 was a good looking colt too.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Santa Anita

inquiring minds want to know, LOL
Old 08-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Balletto

I knew that name sounded familiar but I couldnt place it. I wish them luck with him... real nice back-class in the family as well. This colt's 4th dam is Portage, who's responsible for the whole Fall Aspen line and that of Cozzene among others.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Santa Anita

he bought 47 as well for $360k...best of luck to all the buyers, no question.
http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogs/2006/0808/47.pdf
5 reines de course on that bottom line. impressive.

Last edited by sumitas : 08-09-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Balletto

Not going to be too many Deputy Minister fillies on the block from now on. They're worth their weight in gold if they come from a strong family.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Santa Anita

you can see that this one does
Old 08-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Balletto

I guess the argument can be made that anything that was approved for DM book came from a strong family or proved her worth on the track/shed. He really came on late in his career as a sire of sires. Should be interesting to see what his colts go for from some of these top stallion families.