Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Others
just like someone said earlier in the week, Sumwon's race Sunday was my Derby - just kinda icing on the cake they're having an Oaks tomorrow and that other little race on Saturday... have the big girl's effort on dvr and keep replaying, yeah everyone gettin kinda tired of hearing it in background but HEY that's our horse lol..

can't say it enough times, but congrats to Sumwon and our connections for a job well done, looking forward to many more good memories...
I have the same feeling. I keep re-living her run down the stretch. And she's still improving.

Makes it hard for me to concentrate on the races coming up in the next few days.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Random Coups

I hope you aren't basing her turf ability on one start after a 90 day layoff at Keeneland. Going a route for the first time. I still think she would move up 10 points on the grass. Chuck knows what he is doing and I am just some mediocre horseplayer.

I'm afraid we are spoiling her with peppermints. I just wanted to contribute something. I have people at work very excited for me. Funny, I mention she is at Churchil Downs and I hear, "Oh is she running in the Derby" and not just one person has said that. <---I guess that is why we get the Guess Who playing infields to try and bring people out. (I think it's the wrong bait to catch future horseplayers. )

Maybe Sumwon's pedigree is desirable on her dam side but her sire Came Home at $25k has been disappointing so far. Benchmark was only $5k (maybe still is) and I see where Turkoman's stud fee is only $3k. I think that is a value play. I'm sure Pedigree Ann could tell me why I'm wrong.

2 races and we've already got her in the shed

Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Bowie

and here i was thinking she was the foundation of our stable
Old 05-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable
Well, we've got to start with a trainer out here in Southern California. Someone who is as competent and open as Chuck is. Know of anyone? (Of course, my friends are pretty bossy so they would probably want to call the trainer up at all hours with suggestions/orders.)

No, sorry - I don't know anyone in CA since I am in Maryland. At one time, many years ago, I was part of a small partnership that had a horse in NorCal. We used Rene Amescua (sp?). The horse did ok at the fair meets but her record showed she LOVED Hollywood Park. Rene shipped her down for one of the Hollywood meets where a friend of his took over her training. Just a small guy I'd never heard of back in 1998 or 99 - Doug O'Neill.

I do know a trainer in Arizona who might be able to give me some info and advice. If you'd like, I can try to contact her.....

Call the track and ask for some advice on who you might talk to. Try to get 4 or 5 names and then give them a call. Just like any other job interview, ask them questions you feel are important and let your gut feeling and common sense guide you.

As for your friends - they can make it tough if they would do what you described. While I always welcomed questions and reasonable suggestions in my partnerships, I told my partners that I ran my stables with this thought in mind - the first day I felt I HAD to tell my trainer where, what, or how to run our horse was the first day I had to look for a new trainer.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
I'm here in Louisville with Chuck, and based on conversation since Sunday, can safely say that it's unlikely that Sumwon would be available for $50k next out. Nor will she be running on the lawn anytime soon.
I'm happy to hear that...not that I don't think she can be successful on turf, but as well as whe went Sunday, as I said in another post, I would certainly be hard pressed to take her off dirt at this point. Her speed figures would seem to back that up as well.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable
I liked her from day one. I could tell from her PPs that she had a lot of heart and she confirmed that last Sunday.
me too!! you should have seen me at my office, jumping around like an idiot. you'd think i'd won the lottery or something!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Keeneland

Recouping investment or making some cash would be nice but remember what Steve and Steve said, we're going to have some fun with this one. Once again I'm thankful for the opportunity to be a part-owner and thank all of those that made it possible. Lets save the toasts etc. for the Spa.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:44 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
No, sorry - I don't know anyone in CA since I am in Maryland. At one time, many years ago, I was part of a small partnership that had a horse in NorCal. We used Rene Amescua (sp?). The horse did ok at the fair meets but her record showed she LOVED Hollywood Park. Rene shipped her down for one of the Hollywood meets where a friend of his took over her training. Just a small guy I'd never heard of back in 1998 or 99 - Doug O'Neill.
That is just too funny. I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

Quote:
I do know a trainer in Arizona who might be able to give me some info and advice. If you'd like, I can try to contact her.....
If you wouldn't mind asking her for a couple of names, I would appreciate it.

Quote:
Call the track and ask for some advice on who you might talk to. Try to get 4 or 5 names and then give them a call. Just like any other job interview, ask them questions you feel are important and let your gut feeling and common sense guide you.
I'll try that.

Quote:
As for your friends - they can make it tough if they would do what you described. While I always welcomed questions and reasonable suggestions in my partnerships, I told my partners that I ran my stables with this thought in mind - the first day I felt I HAD to tell my trainer where, what, or how to run our horse was the first day I had to look for a new trainer.
I agree with you on that. If I don't trust the trainer, why would he have my horse?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Del Mar

Default My meeting with Chuck

I had the pleasure to met Chuck on Oaks Day along with his father. A couple of really nice guys and can see why the Steve/Chuck combination works. First, he's a really down to earth guy who obviously knows his stuff.

Second, I asked about Sumwon and his plans. Although things could change my feeling is he wishes he could have had the horse from the start and would not have raced her so early. He feels there's alot of potential under the hood and that being only three she's got a wonderful future. He feels she'll develop further with age and still has head issues to overcome. Having said that he feels she could do really well and move forward as time goes on. Perhaps she's not a horse that likes to rate and should be on the lead. If she's placed right with the right training I think he sees her moving up in class and getting some wins at a higher level which in turn could significantly improve her broodmare value.

If we take the position that Chuck knows what he's doing, let's just sit back and enjoy the ride. Got a feeling it's going to be good.

Thanks Chuck...for everything.

Spyder
Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i took that position from the start. he's the trainer, everyone who went in to this knew that chuck made all the calls, esp since chuck is the one paying all the bills at this point!
every time i think about her i get excited all over again. she has a lot of potential, and has shown some talent. i watched her race again last night! lol

can't wait for the next one.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:15 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i took that position from the start. he's the trainer, everyone who went in to this knew that chuck made all the calls, esp since chuck is the one paying all the bills at this point!
every time i think about her i get excited all over again. she has a lot of potential, and has shown some talent. i watched her race again last night! lol

I did to. I was really very happy about that race and I must say a bit shocked. I really thought she had toasted herself. And I will say it again, she did not quit, that means so much to me. And she has speed (which I am fond of)
Old 05-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig

where can you watch her race?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeWingnut
Churchill Downs site. Video Archives. April 29 race #2

its a really good video

http://www.churchilldowns.com/videos/index.html

I dont know if you have to be a member so Im not sure if this site will take you to it.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeWingnut

i dvr'd it that day... so i can watch anytime i want to.

unless someone deletes it.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Arlington Park

can you burn that to DVD? IF so we'd like a copy, please?. my wife tried to do it from the CD site but couldn't get it to work.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i don't have a dvd recorder, it's just a player. time for an upgrade!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Lincoln Fields

same quandry here - have both of Sumwon's starts on Dish DVR but don't have a "DVD recorder/burner" and my ancient VCR isn't even working to transfer to tape... fingers are crossed the Dish hard drive doesn't crash and lose them (it's happened before, wiped out all my movies) before can figure out how to save them.. do have a laptop that supposedly has the ability to burn CD/DVDs - is it possible to burn off the DVR box directly to the laptop

how about the track itself - have heard some furnish courtesy copies of DVDs to owners of their horse's race - anyone we can ask???
Old 05-07-2007, 04:28 AM
Steve Byk

I'll work on getting all her races together on DVD for everyone.. Also will have a chance to get the Dee Tee swag together once I get out of Louisville (today) and back to NY (Thursday)... Hats, misc. apparel, silks lapel pin coming..
Old 05-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
I'll work on getting all her races together on DVD for everyone.. Also will have a chance to get the Dee Tee swag together once I get out of Louisville (today) and back to NY (Thursday)... Hats, misc. apparel, silks lapel pin coming..
Excellent!