Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
If she were to be taken for 50k, wouldn't that mean a profit for the group---or the ability to use that money for the next purchase(not to mention any money she makes at that 50 level.
Not about the profit in this situation Randall
Old 05-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I understand that Scavs, and it was a nice run from her the other day. But a 50k race isn't a bad spot for a horse that cost 25 when she is very competitive in the spot....It is an assumption she would get taken.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
If she were to be taken for 50k, wouldn't that mean a profit for the group---or the ability to use that money for the next purchase(not to mention any money she makes at that 50 level.
Rand,

It would mean a profit of course.. But for starters, Chuck and a partner had interest in keeping her as a broodmare after her racing days were over. That was a part of her appeal as a purchase to begin with... Given her pedigree, she was always going to be a prospect in the shed, so if she were hurt, etc., she still had residual value to return much of the initial investment to the partnership. But more importantly, there is still her upside to explore on track. There are lots of great spots to run a route-going dirt filly, and we're going to stay that course. As Haskin said, "The group is going to have fun with her."
Old 05-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Rand,

It would mean a profit of course.. But for starters, Chuck and a partner had interest in keeping her as a broodmare after her racing days were over. That was a part of her appeal as a purchase to begin with... Given her pedigree, she was always going to be a prospect in the shed, so if she were hurt, etc., she still had residual value to return much of the initial investment to the partnership. But more importantly, there is still her upside to explore on track. There are lots of great spots to run a route-going dirt filly, and we're going to stay that course. As Haskin said, "The group is going to have fun with her."
Got it, that's totally different. Didn't know you wanted to use her for the shed. In that case, I'd be doing the same thing.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Hollywood Park

Steve,

Thanks for the updates. I hope she continues to run her best. She probably hit a lot of the claiming radars last Sunday... if she ran back to 50k, there's a legitimate chance she'd be claimed. While that would make a decent profit, Chuck said it's tough to find an affordable filly with some pedigree that can go a route... because of that we ought to hang on to Sumwon and give her a shot to work for us. I like the plan to protect her and test her mettle at higher levels. She could be a stakes horse for all we know!! And that black type would go a long ways for the future of Dee Tee Stables....
Old 05-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I also understand, and fully agree, that it's not about the profit for us minority partners, but it'd be nice to make a decent profit for Chuck nonetheless. That way, maybe some other trainers would be willing to take the risk of accepting a similar deal -- absorbing the daily expenses in return for a larger slice of the purse pie.

I know that just because you're rich doesn't mean that you're not a decent person, but just imagine if our kind of arrangement catches on, and the stands are suddenly full of little-guy owners -- people that love the sport more than they love to see themselves on t.v.?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Rand,

Steve,
Been working and traveling a lot and just saw her race as well as the pictures here. She looked great, especially late coming back. I'm sure you folks will find another good spot for her. Conrats to Chuck, you and all the owners. Great job.

As an aside, I was visiting my mother a week ago near Chicago. She was playing cards at a senor center and I went there to pick her up for lunch. There were three 80-ish men there with a DRF talking about the Derby. I started talking to them and they complained that there was little racing coverage on TV or radio. I wrote down the ATRAB link for them. Mom now reports that the daily pinochle game is played to the accompaniment of your show's archives!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Keeneland

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
but just imagine if our kind of arrangement catches on, and the stands are suddenly full of little-guy owners
I think that would be terrific. The paradigm has been shifting on ownership opportunity over the years, but I think it still isn't readily available to everyone who would have a serious interest - people who love the sport, and would like to be more involved, but don't have the disposable income to get in at most of the levels currently available today. Like most of us here.

The Sumwon Style partnership does exactly that I hope the concept spreads and other trainers do it.

Every one here with an interest in Sumwon, be it partner or a "good friend of Sumwon", who showed the paddock and group pictures to friends, brought up the Youtube link for relatives, played her race replay for a group at work ... hopefully each of us has brought at least one new person into the TB racing world, and shown them the fun and love for horses/racing, beyond picking numbers once a year at Derby or having to be a gambler to "get involved".

Some of us have non-racing friends who have said, "Hey, if DeeTee gets another horse, I"ll go in with you, it looks like fun" - right? How great is that for the future of the sport?

It's a business and you have to make money or you're not there anymore, plain and simple. But who says the standard setup on ownership-trainer relationships, and paying the bills, has to be what it always has been?

If you're a trainer who has the skill to pick out a filly with potential and double her value, making income and profit off her racing career, showcasing your training skills thus bringing new clients into your barn, while improving the care and happiness of the horse - why not bring a bunch of willing and eager people along, especially when their goal is not to make a financial killing, only to enjoy that fun, fun ride?

The only immediate risk is having the horse overdosed on peppermints
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Narragansett Park

FWIW, route going fillies are very tough to come by here in the Mid-Atlantic. It's a double-edged sword, though. If you get one, and go through your lower conditions (i.e., nw's and N1X) but you aren't good enough for the higher allowance races, you are stuck because there aren't enough f&m's to make the mid-level claimers go. So, therein lies the problem - getting enough races to go to make it worth owning one here in MD.

On the plane ride home Sunday night, I kept thinking of the damage I could do with a filly like Sumwon in MD, Del, Philly and Charles Town. Given her $15k starter condition, and the fact she has a few lifetime conditions left, she could potentially earn a nice bankroll here.

If you find another one like her, Chuck, give me a call.....
Old 05-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Oriental Park

Im sure shes on someones claiming radar. Waiting for you to drop her in the 30k spot for the win.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Every one here with an interest in Sumwon, be it partner or a "good friend of Sumwon", who showed the paddock and group pictures to friends, brought up the Youtube link for relatives, played her race replay for a group at work ... hopefully each of us has brought at least one new person into the TB racing world, and shown them the fun and love for horses/racing, beyond picking numbers once a year at Derby or having to be a gambler to "get involved".

Some of us have non-racing friends who have said, "Hey, if DeeTee gets another horse, I"ll go in with you, it looks like fun" - right? How great is that for the future of the sport?

It's a business and you have to make money or you're not there anymore, plain and simple. But who says the standard setup on ownership-trainer relationships, and paying the bills, has to be what it always has been?

If you're a trainer who has the skill to pick out a filly with potential and double her value, making income and profit off her racing career, showcasing your training skills thus bringing new clients into your barn, while improving the care and happiness of the horse - why not bring a bunch of willing and eager people along, especially when their goal is not to make a financial killing, only to enjoy that fun, fun ride?

The only immediate risk is having the horse overdosed on peppermints
I have had so many friends who think it is COOL that I am part owner of a horse. They want to know how she is doing and when her next race is.

And then I have a few friends who think I am a FOOL for joining the partnership and flying to Kentucky twice. They think I should claim a horse in Southern California. If there was a trainer like Chuck out here, and a partnership like DeeTee Stables, I probably would. They probably would, also. But that situation doesn't exist out here yet. And they just don't understand the rush of seeing Sumwon's last race. She didn't even win and I felt elated. If I get to be there when she wins, I think I'll probably pass out!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Chuck and a partner had interest in keeping her as a broodmare after her racing days were over.
Okay, which partner?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
As Haskin said, "The group is going to have fun with her."
Ain't that the truth!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable
Okay, which partner?
One of his clients. Not a member of Dee Tee...
Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
I They think I should claim a horse in Southern California. If there was a trainer like Chuck out here, and a partnership like DeeTee Stables, I probably would. They probably would, also. But that situation doesn't exist out here yet.
Sounds to me like maybe you need to start one for your friends then!!!!

I'd be more than happy to answer questions and provide info based on my experiences to help you get one started. I'm sure Steve could chime in with some help given his experience so far. Maybe Chuck has a connection in CA he could point you towards.

You've got some resources here to draw from - give it a shot!!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I have had so many friends who think it is COOL that I am part owner of a horse. They want to know how she is doing and when her next race is.
And then I have a few friends who think I am a FOOL for joining the partnership and flying to Kentucky twice. They think I should claim a horse in Southern California. If there was a trainer like Chuck out here, and a partnership like DeeTee Stables, I probably would. They probably would, also. But that situation doesn't exist out here yet. And they just don't understand the rush of seeing Sumwon's last race. She didn't even win and I felt elated. If I get to be there when she wins, I think I'll probably pass out!
i get a lot of questions about her. everyone at work is interested, and many that tony work with as well. really a great experience, and i hope more people get in on the fun next time out.

glad to know that chuck is interested in keeping sumwon as a broodmare prospect when her racing is done (hopefully a loooong time from now!). i think she has shown a lot of versatility, altho she didn't do well on turf first time out, the potential is still there. her dirt and poly experience are pluses as well. she certainly showed she can learn her lessons, and is certainly game!
yes, i'm biased--but i think she's a good filly. maybe not a world-beater, but i'm impressed.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Lincoln Fields

just like someone said earlier in the week, Sumwon's race Sunday was my Derby - just kinda icing on the cake they're having an Oaks tomorrow and that other little race on Saturday... have the big girl's effort on dvr and keep replaying, yeah everyone gettin kinda tired of hearing it in background but HEY that's our horse lol..

can't say it enough times, but congrats to Sumwon and our connections for a job well done, looking forward to many more good memories...

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!
Old 05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
One of his clients. Not a member of Dee Tee...
I think I know who you mean.

Glad it wasn't a partner. I can just imagine somebody "advising" Chuck to keep dropping her in the claiming ranks and then claiming her (hey, the idea crossed my mind).
Old 05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
Sounds to me like maybe you need to start one for your friends then!!!!

I'd be more than happy to answer questions and provide info based on my experiences to help you get one started. I'm sure Steve could chime in with some help given his experience so far. Maybe Chuck has a connection in CA he could point you towards.

You've got some resources here to draw from - give it a shot!!
Well, we've got to start with a trainer out here in Southern California. Someone who is as competent and open as Chuck is. Know of anyone? (Of course, my friends are pretty bossy so they would probably want to call the trainer up at all hours with suggestions/orders.)
Old 05-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i think she's a good filly. maybe not a world-beater, but i'm impressed.
I liked her from day one. I could tell from her PPs that she had a lot of heart and she confirmed that last Sunday.