Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
I think it tends to be overrepresented in the park-horse type morgan...
I always had a Lippitt Morgan, but my sister rode and worked for a farm that showed Saddleseat...personally I've never been a fan of it or how the horses are kept.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
I always had a Lippitt Morgan, but my sister rode and worked for a farm that showed Saddleseat...personally I've never been a fan of it or how the horses are kept.
it's an aquired taste I guess...I groomed for a show barn and rode saddle seat for a few years...not really my thing but it paid the bills...the breed itself though is prone to insulin resistance often secondary to pituitary dysfunction (cushing's syndrome), which if not managed through diet etc. can lead to overload and laminitis...
Old 01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Flemington

Quote:
it's an aquired taste I guess...I groomed for a show barn and rode saddle seat for a few years...not really my thing but it paid the bills...the breed itself though is prone to insulin resistance (secondary to pituitary dysfunction usually) which if not managed through diet etc. can lead to overload and laminitis...
I guess the 15 or so we had through the years were lucky.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Default Barbaro......

I feel should have been saved, I would feel that way about any horse. Because it's not always possible to save these great athletes, the fact that Barbaro has made it this far, is a miracle. I hope he continues to improve, I know he had a recent setback, but it sounds like he's gonna rebound once again, and I think it's fantastic!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:50 AM
The Curragh

this opinion comes from someone outside looking in who has never been around horses, but it seems to me the only reason they have been and continue to try to save this horse is because he is allowing it. Other horses would have thrashed around and never allowed this type of treatment. Call him smarter, or whatever, but he has been the ideal patient, almost human-like in character while all this has been ocurring. If he is that intelligent, perhaps he will let everyone know when enough is enough?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer
this opinion comes from someone outside looking in who has never been around horses, but it seems to me the only reason they have been and continue to try to save this horse is because he is allowing it. Other horses would have thrashed around and never allowed this type of treatment. Call him smarter, or whatever, but he has been the ideal patient, almost human-like in character while all this has been ocurring. If he is that intelligent, perhaps he will let everyone know when enough is enough?
and he will....
Old 01-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Of course he is, from a financial standpoint which is what this should absolutely not be about. I hate the fact that we care less about the cheap horses who are run into the grave and then jump up and down to save the expensive ones. There is no consistency here....The main point here is that trying to save him with the extent of the injuries he had was unheard of. If it was a stakes horse on the undercard that day, they would've been put down without a second thought. So while he is still alive, his future isn't any better than that day as far as I'm concerned.
The sad thing about it is because of the insurance involved, it could be out of th docs and the Jacksons control.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops757
The sad thing about it is because of the insurance involved, it could be out of th docs and the Jacksons control.
How so? Even if that were the case, which I doubt, $$$ is not the issue. I think if Dr. Richardson and the Jacksons wanted to put him down, and they were told no by the insurance companies, they would do it anyway.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarta
How so? Even if that were the case, which I doubt, $$$ is not the issue. I think if Dr. Richardson and the Jacksons wanted to put him down, and they were told no by the insurance companies, they would do it anyway.
I agree with you but being right has no relationship to legality.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Churchill Downs

I agree Randall, and I'm glad that someone finally had the balls to say it because I sure didn't. I have been thinking this ever since I found out just how bad his case of laminitis was. I have seen some turn around and be completely fine when they have a mild case of founder while others have to be put down from it. Barbaro's laminitis is as bad as it gets, and most horses would have been put down.

I truly believe that they put Barbaro back in the sling because the animal was in so much pain that they were afraid he was going to lay down. Most horses that have an acute attack do lay down and don't want to get back up.

There have already been 4-5 points at which they almost put Barbaro down. If he has another setback, I think they will make the right decision. This horse will never have a good quality of life.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Sha Tin

There is no one here that is qualified to pass judgement on the fate of Barbaro. To my knowledge no one here has seen him other than in short video clips, we only know what is being reported newswise. We are not privy to his medical condition except what is released to the press. I seriously doubt and have doubted that this horse would ever be able to breed a mare let alone a book of mares and I dont believe that they are keeping him alive for monetary reasons. Barbaro may or may not make it a week, a month, a year or more but what he has done is allowed the doctors to advance their knowledge in dealing with catastrophic injuries such as his and the resulting problems. His legacy will live not only as a courageous and talented racehorse who showed bravery and determination following his injury but in the veternarian advances that will have come about because of him the horses that may be saved in the future
Old 01-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
There is no one here that is qualified to pass judgement on the fate of Barbaro. To my knowledge no one here has seen him other than in short video clips, we only know what is being reported newswise. We are not privy to his medical condition except what is released to the press. I seriously doubt and have doubted that this horse would ever be able to breed a mare let alone a book of mares and I dont believe that they are keeping him alive for monetary reasons. Barbaro may or may not make it a week, a month, a year or more but what he has done is allowed the doctors to advance their knowledge in dealing with catastrophic injuries such as his and the resulting problems. His legacy will live not only as a courageous and talented racehorse who showed bravery and determination following his injury but in the veternarian advances that will have come about because of him the horses that may be saved in the future
Wonderful post.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Ellis Park

Cannon Shell's post was an excellent and rational summary of how this situation should be viewed . Anecdotal posts are just that ... As far as Barbaro being in a sling for fear of lying down and not getting up, this is just another fallacy . Mrs Jackson and Dr. Richardson both have reported that the horse lies down and gets up daily . He is not in the sling all day and night . The purpose of the sling is to keep weight on the hind legs balanced and supported as best as possible for obvious reasons. Information from the horse's connections is best read at Tim Wooley's website, or at New Bolton's . It is the most accurate and substantiated .
Old 01-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
very true cannon. he has made it this far because of advances that have been made because of those that came before him. and those after him will benefit.
maybe someday they will finally find the true key to curing laminits. altho in this case it's due to crushing of the laminae which caused loss of blood flow.

can't help but wonder--could there be a laminae transplant?? anyone know? could you remove healthy tissue from a horse and give to another. it's a thought that came to me last night....anyone?? may sound crazy, but i'd imagine once upon a time a lot of transplants seemed so..
Old 01-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
I agree Randall, and I'm glad that someone finally had the balls to say it because I sure didn't. I have been thinking this ever since I found out just how bad his case of laminitis was. I have seen some turn around and be completely fine when they have a mild case of founder while others have to be put down from it. Barbaro's laminitis is as bad as it gets, and most horses would have been put down.

I truly believe that they put Barbaro back in the sling because the animal was in so much pain that they were afraid he was going to lay down. Most horses that have an acute attack do lay down and don't want to get back up.

There have already been 4-5 points at which they almost put Barbaro down. If he has another setback, I think they will make the right decision. This horse will never have a good quality of life.
they said back in july his laminitis was as bad as it gets.
as for the sling, they don't want to stress the fractured leg, they have put it back in a cast as well to help support that leg.
seems also it would be better to keep weight off the laminitic foot, so as to aid blood flow into the laminae.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:11 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
seems also it would be better to keep weight off the laminitic foot, so as to aid blood flow into the laminae.
while I agree that they don't want to overstress the laminitic foot this is not quite right...the horse's circulatory system to the lower leg is actually a rather rudimentary pump, it relys on the pressure exerted by weight bearing in order to force blood back to the heart...i.e. in order to work right there must be some weight bearing.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
while I agree that they don't want to overstress the laminitic foot this is not quite right...the horse's circulatory system to the lower leg is actually a rather rudimentary pump, it relys on the pressure exerted by weight bearing in order to force blood back to the heart...i.e. in order to work right there must be some weight bearing.
but the sling won't keep all the weight off, right? just keep it even so too much isn't on one leg. i do know too much weight on one foot for too long crushes the laminae and cuts off blood flow.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
You are absolutely correct in this, but it depends on the type of laminitis the horse has as to whether or not they are to receive exercise. Most veterinarians recommend exercise (walking) directly after an acute attack if possible because it increases the circulation in the foot. However, in milder or chronic episodes, this is not recommended and can actually be very harmful.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:22 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
but the sling won't keep all the weight off, right? just keep it even so too much isn't on one leg. i do know too much weight on one foot for too long crushes the laminae and cuts off blood flow.
I don't really know...I assume that they can adjust the sling to varying heights to accomodate his comfort in bearing his own weight.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Flemington

Speaking of slings, did anyone else see the completely unrealistic horse movie of the girl (Allie was her name I remember) who gets in trouble with the police and is sent to a horse re-hab farm for part of her community commitment and the horse breaks out of it's sling after a tractor runs through his stall wall and the horse miraclously trots off with the girl hanging off the leadrope? I wish I could remember the name of the move....it gets even more realistic than that.