Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Santa Anita

No it doesn't. Don't you have anything better to do than knock Barbaro and his people ?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
No question Barbaro is recovering. His people are absolutely doing the right thing because the horse wants to live. You folks would do better to try and improve the safety of horse racing instead of biting the heels of this group of caring health experts.
You know Sumitas, I went out of my way in my initial post to talk about the Jacksons in a positive light. And simply having a view which is not in the mainstream in the horse racing community right now doesn't mean I am attacking the people invovled with the horse at all....So don't try and turn this into a vindictive type thread, b/c its not.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Santa Anita

It is vindictive and you started this despicable thread and I'm calling you and the others of your ilk on it. Go and do something positive with your time.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
It is vindictive and you started this despicable thread and I'm calling you and the others of your ilk on it. Go and do something positive with your time.
LOL. Ok. A serious topic can't be discussed b/c you get your panties in a bunch? Please.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
But by and large you can tell by their temperment if they are miserable or not. If it were some schmo on the street insisting that he keep fighting it would be different -- I think it's been clear from the beginning that Dr. Richardson and the Jacksons would never press it one second further than was good for Barbaro. I trust in their opinions 100%.
Yes, I agree with you 100%.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Santa Anita

Oh yes they are and I find it cheap and distasteful. Now I'll go on to something else.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Dude calm down. Nothing vindictive I see. Do yourself a favor and go check out the "lessons learned from chickens" thread. that might help you cool out.
DaHoss, thanks for the laugh...

This topic definitely deserves to be brought up and I respectfully disagree with Randall and Beth on their viewpoints. I think that Barbaro will let everyone know when he's ready to go, and I don't believe he's shown yet that he's ready to quit. Let's not kid ourselves here, either... the majority of stallions don't get to live a REAL horse's life. Do you guys honestly believe that stallions are happy being turned out in paddocks alone? I don't. It's in a horse's nature to be a herd animal, and believe me, thoroughbred stallions don't get that opportunity, either way. JMO.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I'm torn- on the one hand, I think animals do let us know when it's time- a friend of mine just had to have her cat put down due to cancer, and she was told that she would "know" when it was time. She didn't believe that for a second, but sure enough, she said she realized when it was time. If Barbaro's connections think he's still in the fight, I believe them.

On the other hand, as bad as his laminitis is, I would be surprised if he lived to be an old horse- I feel like it will flare up again and wonder if he is going to be in for a life of constant fight against the laminitis and if the quality of life he's going to have will be worth it.

I just don't know. I want so badly for him to make it, but that doesn't mean it's best for him.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Coach Pants

I'm not giving up on him yet. Let him live!!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
I'm not giving up on him yet. Let him live!!
Love the avatar!!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:26 PM
top predator.

not trying to add fuel to the fire but he had another procedure today...
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=37069
Old 01-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
not trying to add fuel to the fire but he had another procedure today...
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=37069
They're just "fine-tuning" the course of treatment. I think this actually a good thing...they're trying to stay on top of his treatment. Kudos!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Monmouth Park

It is a terrible position to be in and one I don't envy. This horse took them on the ride of their lives from Jan to May and it took a drastic turn at the Preakness. On one hand I understand the thought process of stopping on him and putting him down. On the other hand I firmly believe that if it were the right thing to do, Dr. Richardson would simply tell the Jacksons that it was time.

You know people give owners such a hard time when they retire horses "too early" and sure I suppose there are cases where it's a take the money and run thing, but for the most part the ride that an entire team goes on when a horse realizes it's potential at just the right time and wins the Derby is something that most people could never imagine. So when most owners make the decision to retire horses or exhaust all medical means to save a horse, it is done so out of heartfelt gratitude toward the animal that allowed them to live a dream. So with all of that, I just have to believe that if they had any doubts at all, they would put him down. Until that happens, fight on big boy, fight on.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i wonder if anyone questioned the course of treatment with nuryev....he went thru hell, and ended up making it. or your host, sire of kelso, who fractured a shoulder and was laid down in sand to heal. walked for the rest of his life with a pronounced limp.
there were those who criticized the treatment of sunday silence. they didn't euthanize him as long as there was hope. when he finally laid down, they knew that was it.

barbaro according to all reports has been alert, bright eyed, full of enery and with a healthy appetite from the get-go. they have said from the beginning that as long as he will be pain free, they're willing to try. and no doubt barbaro appreciates that.
as long as there is life, there is hope. i won't second guess one thing they've done, nor will i second guess anything they do from here on out.
i know that when the laminitis was first discovered, mrs jackson wanted him put down. but dr richardson and mr jackson looked at barbaro, who was looking right back at them, and said no-not yet.
they've taken extreme measures with him--but this IS an extreme situation.

i will be really surprised if he has a long life. but he's done nothing but surprise me from day one. so who knows?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

It isn't a fun topic, but I agree with the title of the thread.

But I am a pessimist, so who knows...
Old 01-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Saratoga

Randall,

I said the same thing to Byk the other day. I saw the CBS special about him and he looks like a totally different horse and him dragging that rear leg is a sad sight.

I will say though, I am glad it isn't my decision, not sure if I could make it.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Randall,

I said the same thing to Byk the other day. I saw the CBS special about him and he looks like a totally different horse and him dragging that rear leg is a sad sight.

I will say though, I am glad it isn't my decision, not sure if I could make it.
Didn't see the CBS special, that's tough to hear but I'm not surprised....This is one of those situations where you want to be wrong about it.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
this horse has shown time and time again that he is a fighter...those are also the types that tolerate pain and don't really show when they are hurting until it gets REALLY bad...the fact that the hospital says he is 'acceptably comfortable' means so much more than his owners saying he is 'in no pain'...they sound as though they are in denial.

I've worked with horses hands on for a long time...many years were spent with Morgans...a breed that sees a lot of laminitis...I've lost horses and seen horses survive...but the cost (and I'm not talking about $$) is great...in salvaging the animal's life we robbed it of the essense of being a horse...that is to graze freely and to run around in a pasture...for the remainder of their lives the disease would recur at various times...causing more pain and dietary and execise restrictions...

though I understand the emotional desire to save them all I have arrived at the opinion that it is usually kinder to let them go...and the laminitis coupled with the fracture makes Barbaros future uncertain at best and likely not the most comfortable or fulfilling existance...I have to say that I agree with Randy...I think that intially the Jacksons were doing the right thing for the right reason, and that now they are doing the wrong thing for the right reason...I don't doubt for a moment that they have the best intentions but sometimes the hardest decision to make is ultimately the right one....JMO
Interesting, I too grew up around Morgans and had several friends in the Pony Club and 4-H that had them as well and never once heard of them having a laminitis problem.

As for Barbaro, the people in New Bolton know what is best for the horse. Patient by patient case...just like people should be treated.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Dee Tee Stables

he doesn't drag the leg, but it is awkward since he can't flex his ankle--so he has a bad hitch in his step. it is sad to see, knowing how he was before. but damn, that's like saying you don't want to live if you're stuck in a wheelchair.

i don't like to get 'mushy' or emotional, but that tape brought tears to my eyes.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:23 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Interesting, I too grew up around Morgans and had several friends in the Pony Club and 4-H that had them as well and never once heard of them having a laminitis problem.
As for Barbaro, the people in New Bolton know what is best for the horse. Patient by patient case...just like people should be treated.
I think it tends to be overrepresented in the park-horse type morgan...